Bangkok-Chiang Mai high speed train project makes headway

rooster59

Bangkok-Chiang Mai high speed train project makes headway

16_Arkom-wpcf_728x410.png

BANGKOK:-- The high speed train project from Bangkok to Chiang Mai makes headway after the Ministry of Transport said it will submit the project in details to the Cabinet for approval in the next few months.

Transport minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said the project details have almost completed with expectation that by this coming October or November, the final report would be submitted and forward to the cabinet for approval.

His assurance of the project headway came after the meeting with the railway development working group yesterday.

The 669-km long high speed train project from Bangkok to Chiang Mai was first initiated by the Yingluck government.

Thailand and Japan have signed MOU to conduct study in details, with schedule to begin construction end of this year and finish construction in 2020.

But due to high investment cost of over 400 billion baht, it was revised by the military installed government.

According to the minister, the project comprises two phases, Bangkok to Phitsanulok and Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-chiang-mai-high-speed-train-project-makes-headway/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-03

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phitsanulok may be a goer!

There's a big garrison at Phitsanulok, quick transport to Bangkok will be a boon for all sorts of the right people, and for sound strategic reasons. 

Chuang Mains,  well, you know the sort of people who live up there...

Ah yes. I recall the partisan, appointed Constitution Court telling the elected government of YL, that Thailand 'doesn't need' high-speed trains.

They've been oddly quiet though about this government's high-speed train projects though...

Nothing to do with being corrupt or conspiratorial against a democratically elected government though.. Not at all, no way.

Thailand is so lucky to have fine, upright people like this looking after its interests.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

There are many companies working on this project in collaboration with foreign consultancy firms from Germany and the USA.As I understand it everything is indeed going ahead with another massive resettlement project on paper only but imminent which will see all those living along the river in bkk being evicted for a beautiful promenades. 

1 hour ago, tartempion said:

I don't get it.

It will be cheaper and faster to fly....

They haven't thought of that. Its true some people love train travel but for an outlay this huge they need bums on every seat.Its also fairly boring trip not a lot to see.

My concern is that Thailand only has narrow gauge track , that would likely have to be replaced with broad gauge .  Another concern would be the maintenance of the track as high speed accidents would be deadly .  The distances seem rather short to justify the expense  I feel that an updated broad gauge two way regular railway would serve the purpose better , as well as adapting to freight trains .  As has been suggested , It might be cheaper and quicker to fly .

10 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Waiting for  khun Srisuwan Janya  who will say: " it's illegal because it's a chinese or a japanese project  .."  :whistling:

Is that the name of the muppet? I think I must have blotted that out in embarrassment that any human being can be so dim.

What a bunch of lackeys...

Winnie

2 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

Ah yes. I recall the partisan, appointed Constitution Court telling the elected government of YL, that Thailand 'doesn't need' high-speed trains.

They've been oddly quiet though about this government's high-speed train projects though...

Nothing to do with being corrupt or conspiratorial against a democratically elected government though.. Not at all, no way.

Thailand is so lucky to have fine, upright people like this looking after its interests.

Winnie

Yes...but now they can manipulate the project so they themselves obtain the fullest of benefits...if you know what I mean...which I assume you do..lol

Cheers

3 hours ago, JAG said:

There's a big garrison at Phitsanulok, quick transport to Bangkok will be a boon for all sorts of the right people, and for sound strategic reasons. 

No what sort of people JAG

I gather it is just an ordinary Standard gage,  at 17 mill USD a kilometre at China prices,  a high speed would bankrupt the country , anyway , if that is the case,  a change of trains will be required at Phit , to Chiang Mai it will be slow narrow gage, till they upgrade to CM , I could be wrong have been many times before , but I doubt it will happen after Japan does its maths........................................... 

49 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

They haven't thought of that. Its true some people love train travel but for an outlay this huge they need bums on every seat.Its also fairly boring trip not a lot to see.

I have never done the trip by train, but have driven quite a few times, some beautiful countryside to pass through, would imagine one of the challenges would be the terrain, some sizeable mountains to go around.

Quite a few oil/gas wells in Phitsanaluk area , Northern Thailand's oil reserves are held there controlled by - you guessed it - the military!

2 hours ago, tartempion said:

I don't get it.

It will be cheaper and faster to fly....

Travelling by train is far more comfortable than cramming into a flying tube. Some enlightened countries even let you drink beer and eat while enjoying the moving scenery flowing across the windows.

More words.  Start the dirt flying and we might start believing something is gonna happen.   Meanwhile; costs are rising by huge amounts with every hour that passes and i still don't see the results of any decent route feasibility studies linked to estimated costings...just figures plucked out of the air.

17 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Travelling by train is far more comfortable than cramming into a flying tube. Some enlightened countries even let you drink beer and eat while enjoying the moving scenery flowing across the windows.

train travel is a different experience and more mass mover. eventually it will make a lot of sense to have high speed trains. japan and china have already proved it.

46 minutes ago, Toscano said:

My concern is that Thailand only has narrow gauge track , that would likely have to be replaced with broad gauge .  Another concern would be the maintenance of the track as high speed accidents would be deadly .  The distances seem rather short to justify the expense  I feel that an updated broad gauge two way regular railway would serve the purpose better , as well as adapting to freight trains .  As has been suggested , It might be cheaper and quicker to fly .

"My concern is that Thailand only has narrow gauge track , that would likely have to be replaced with broad gauge "

I think you mean standard gauge track? Broad gauge is used in, along with other gauges in south Asian countries as well as some in S.America. Thailand has standard gauge (4'81/2") but only on the ARL and BTS & MRT systems, none of which are connected. Your other points are indeed correct. An efficient, fast, well-engineered double track system for both freight and passengers would make more sense. The Thai people who use the trains are not rich, those that are, use their own vehicles or prefer to travel by airline. However, Thailand is determined to "keep up with the Joneses" in this subject, so will continue talk of HST. They have just spent millions of baht on new passenger cars and locomotives for the narrow gauge system, based on that, most of us will be either dead or in advanced years before a.n HST runs into Chiang Mai railway station.  JIMHO, anyway.

3 hours ago, JAG said:

great job. please get it going and complete it on time.

3 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

Winnie

opinions change with circumstances.