Cheap but comfortable island.

anotheruser

1 hour ago, Asiang said:

Helllo,

Of course 1000 a day is enough, do you really think that many people go to Thailand to spend $2000 a month ?

I am also looking for a small house or bungalow ,please PM me if you have an offer that I might have missed on booking websites.

Thanks.

You have a point but after thinking about how one has to live on double your figure I am beginning to wonder who they spend less than that. Doesn't seem like much of a vacation to me at that point. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Random question... I see off the southern tip of Samed it looks like there is a small island called Koh Chan. As best I can tell it is around 1 KM off of Samed and looks like it has a reef that is decent and nothing on the island otherwise. Is it possible to snorkel out there from Samed? 1 KM isn't that far but wondering if there are currents or any other reason to not do it? 

6 hours ago, Asiang said:

Can you tell me where on Koh chang ? thanks.

When on Koh Chang we prefer the southern end of the west side of the island Klong Kloi, Bang bao or Bailin. The place we stayed at in January was in Bailin I think it was called the Bailin garden resort but not a 100% sure.

7 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Random question... I see off the southern tip of Samed it looks like there is a small island called Koh Chan. As best I can tell it is around 1 KM off of Samed and looks like it has a reef that is decent and nothing on the island otherwise. Is it possible to snorkel out there from Samed? 1 KM isn't that far but wondering if there are currents or any other reason to not do it? 

Wouldn't advise it. Take a boat trip. About 600 baht I think.

21 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

KC has some nice areas.  I'm not a big fan of KPN.  The full moon party and associated mafia have ruined the place.  I actually prefer beaches on the mainland.  Easy for me to drive there and get around, they are cheaper, and just as nice.  Ban Kruit, north of Khao Lak, Koh Lanta (and the many islands south of there),  Chao Lao Beach, the other Koh Chang island.  Many places.  Best to have a car and just explore!

I stayed here one time.  A bit more expensive, but right on the beach!  Fantastic.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g667502-d4991041-Reviews-Beauty_Beach_Resort-Pranburi_Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province.html

just as nice ? you really do not know what is a nice beach on an island...

1 hour ago, Asiang said:

just as nice ? you really do not know what is a nice beach on an island...

I've been to almost every island in Thailand.  And many in the surrounding countries.  I also live on the beach here. 

You did read why I prefer mainland beaches?  But yes, there are some fantastic beaches on the islands.  Just more difficult and expensive for me to enjoy them.

12 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I've been to almost every island in Thailand.  And many in the surrounding countries.  I also live on the beach here. 

You did read why I prefer mainland beaches?  But yes, there are some fantastic beaches on the islands.  Just more difficult and expensive for me to enjoy them.

You bring up an interesting point. Are the island beaches simply too expensive and too much hassle to bother with lately? This is part of what I am trying to find out.

8 hours ago, anotheruser said:

You bring up an interesting point. Are the island beaches simply too expensive and too much hassle to bother with lately? This is part of what I am trying to find out.

Some have gotten very expensive over the years.  Koh Chang and Samet are good examples.  Use to be easy to find a beach front room for 1500B or so.  Pretty much impossible now.  Samui has some great beaches, but traffic is really bad if you want to drive around the island.  I use to get a room one unit back from the beach on Chewang for 1500B or so several years ago.  It's been torn down and the rooms are super expensive now.  Still a nice beach though.

I've got a car, so enjoy being able to cruise around and check out the sights.

On 9/9/2016 at 10:20 PM, Nice Boyd said:

Is it true the Mozzies are out of control and humungous, thx

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My observation from this evening is they vary from bay to bay. I got eaten alive at Tubtim but a short walk away towards the bigger bays there weren't any there. 

So i finally made it to Samed and have a few observations. Room prices are way out of line, no doubt about this. The demand however justifies this. Food and prices of beer and such are really okay. You can get a large beer on the beach for 110 Baht or less so really what more could you ask for? That would be at some resorts and on real furniture not some Pattaya beer shack just for comparison. On prime beach front. 

Food is higher than the main land obviously but considering the surroundings also justified. If  difference of 20 Baht makes a difference in daily life over a chicken cashew meal, this may not be the place for you. 

From what i have experienced 2,000 Baht is more than enough and a minimum budget would be more like 1,500. Of course if anything goes wrong that wouldn't hold true. Try not to get hurt or in an accident if you go on the minimum.

Accomodation is again way overpriced and lacking in variety. You can find places on the beach that are the original refurbished bungalows and they can ask 4,000 Baht. This is low season and you can get a jungle villa (yes villa not some decrepit bungalow) at Marina in Phuket right on the ocean for that. The rooms there are palatial in comparison. The facilities are also top notch. 

Over all I really like Samed and am looking to rent a house here so I can split my time between here and Bangkok. I am not the only one with this idea hence the prices for places to stay. It is a compact island so you eliminate the hassle or expense of transport. You can walk pretty much anywhere and the roads are quiet and pleasant enough to do so. 

There is a lot of greenery around in my opinion  Samed is like what Phuket should be. It isn't pristine but you have every convenience known to man and it is a great compromise between development and nature. It is also great that it is so easily accessible.

The prices keep the backpackers at bay so to speak and I find the Chinese refreshing in comparison. People rag on the Chinese all the time around TV but given my druthers I will take them any day over the dreaded dread locks. 

So it is a nice place and reasonable even on a tight budget. It is my favorite place right now in Thailand because of it's accessibility. It is much nicer than some places like Phayam where you crawl through barbed wire to get there and it is really nothing special. 

It helps a lot you don't ever have to deal with the transport mafia if you do not wish to. Being able to walk around smooth beaches with cool white sand is a real joy and free. It is a very pedestrain friendly place and one place the traffic isn't incessantly horrible. That is becoming rare in Thailand these days.

Anyway that's my take on it at this point I like Samed a lot.