How is Pattaya these days?

JerryinTH

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

Thanks for all the input. We look at Northpoint again (where we used to live) and Zire which is right next to it. Might even just go with a 2br unit since it's more like a getaway place to escape Bangkok on the weekends or for a few  days here and there. 

That is a nice building...except for the detached parking structure. I imaging many of the Russians have cleared out as well.

2 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

That is a nice building...except for the detached parking structure. I imaging many of the Russians have cleared out as well.

Yeah the detached parking was a bit annoying. Staff was very helpful when you came back from villa market with the car full of groceries. They always emptied the trunk and brought it to your front door before I could even park the car. 

Its still a lovely building and when looking at Airbnb there is luckily only one listing but Zire has multiple Airbnbs which I dont understand how the management allows it, so will probably go back to Northpoint instead. 

Sounds pretty bitter. 

I always found Pattaya to be what you make of it. If you hang around the barstools and the retirees it's a bit different than being in your thirties and not having to flip every baht twice before spending it.

Sounds to me like you got a bit of an attitude, thats why you get that kind of response from the people around you. Not a personal attack, just an observation. 

Smile and the world smiles with you... ;)

Thanks for the input everyone! Will drive down to the 'hell hole' and see if we end up in Jomtien or Naklua for a few days per month. 

Edited by Rimmer
quoted reply of Pattaya Bashing post

Sounds pretty bitter. 

I always found Pattaya to be what you make of it. If you hang around the barstools and the retirees it's a bit different than being in your thirties and not having to flip every baht twice before spending it.

Sounds to me like you got a bit of an attitude, thats why you get that kind of response from the people around you. Not a personal attack, just an observation. 

Smile and the world smiles with you... ;)

Thanks for the input everyone! Will drive down to the 'hell hole' and see if we end up in Jomtien or Naklua for a few days per month. 

He's bitter alright...bitter because he likely visited once and had the time of his life but before he knew it, it was back to the fat wife, kids, and mortgage in farangland and he hasn't been able to swing another trip  :lol:

You are correct in sayin' Pattaya, and Thailand, is what you make it. There is so much more to the city than the Beach Road...Second Road corridor. 

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

The boom boom trucks are an utter disgrace. I go down there and try and keep an open mind. Just when you are thinking I guess it isn't all that bad, they show up to destroy what little peace there is left in the place. It's a real shame that they let this go on.

doof-warrior_002-jpg.jpg

Edited by anotheruser

On 9/4/2016 at 11:23 AM, newnative said:

You can largely and easily avoid 'the trade'--just stay off Walking Street, Soi 6, and a few other places. There are many, me included, who live a nice life in Pattaya away from the bars.  Harbor Mall has opened, very family-oriented with lots for kids and it will have an ice skating rink.  Several new waterparks.  Terminal 21 is under construction in north Pattaya--if you buy in Naklua where several new, nice condos are you will be nearby it.  A lot of the flimsy and tacky is being torn down and replaced by nicer--restaurants, boutique hotels, entertainments, etc.   Big C North Pattaya is being totally re-done and an Asiatique is suppose to be on the horizon near the Imperial Hotel.   Traffic can still be bad but nothing like Bangkok's--and most things aren't too far away in the first place.  Good hospitals still here and Bangkok Hospital has opened a clinic in Jomtien.  Some wonderful new restaurants springing up--including The Chocolate Factory and several restaurants next door to it by Cosy Beach.  Some beautiful new condos have opened--Reflection, Cetus, Unixx, The Base, Amari, Peak Tower, Centric Sea, Zire, The Palm, and others--all with great amenities. Lots of nice housing developments like Silk Road if you prefer a house  Come take a look.

You sound like a real estate agent? Where do I sign?

On 9/4/2016 at 1:32 PM, JerryinTH said:

I just checked on Reflection. Seems to be finished but only 1-2 BR units for rent. Any newer development like reflection with 3+ bedrooms anyone can recommend? Same quality like Northpoint, Reflection and such buildings. No ghost buildings please. 

Well maintained, good quality, good security, ocean front. 

3+ bedroom condos will cost you a pretty penny to rent, especially for the quality and location you're looking for. Perhaps a house would be a better idea.

On 9/4/2016 at 7:07 PM, Jip99 said:

You clearly don't know, or understand, Pattaya!

I know Pattaya quite well, but I would agree with the sentiment that a "normal family life" is not really applicable to Pattaya wherever you live. You run into bar girls everywhere, even on the darkside and they are rough and rude.

I would never invite my family to visit here, no matter where in Pattaya I lived. You need to have a very worldly outlook on life to consider life here "normal".

8 hours ago, tropo said:

I know Pattaya quite well, but I would agree with the sentiment that a "normal family life" is not really applicable to Pattaya wherever you live. You run into bar girls everywhere, even on the darkside and they are rough and rude.

I would never invite my family to visit here, no matter where in Pattaya I lived. You need to have a very worldly outlook on life to consider life here "normal".

I guess you tell them that you live in Jomtien and not Pattaya. There's a few others here that seem stigma averse when it comes to the rels.

As for the 'rough and rude' dark side bar girls, take care out there Petal.

Edited by NanLaew

Lived on the dark side. Chayapruek 3 I think.. was a nice village but was dead boring and would take like 20mins to get to central festival. Lots of drunk drivers, especially younger thais on bikes with no helmets looking for trouble.

A few bars here and there but since we drive a car and don't walk down the road we don't have to talk to them, so I can overlook that easily.

Prefer a condo over a house any day of the week. Rather have a nice view, beach front, some sea breeze than being tucked away in a house on the dark side that could be in any other place of the world. 

I want to sit on the balcony and look at the big Pattaya sign, the beach, the ocean, hit G on the elevator and be at the beach.

Might cost the same for a 1br unit in a newer building like a 3br house on the dark side but its worth it, to me. 

HuaHin is far too quite and Phuket is too long of a drive, so there is really only Pattaya as 'getaway' option. 

Spot on, JerryinTH.  I much prefer a condo, too, and I have to have a seaview--you're at the beach and it's all about the ocean view.  Otherwise you might as well be in CM.  Love the ocean breezes and watching the boat activity on the bay and the beach--which is pretty clean these days.  The water may be dirty but Pattaya beach, at least where we are, has very little trash; walked it the other day with my partner and we noticed the lack of trash.

I found wong amat beach to be one of the cleaner beaches. Actually went a few times to swim there. While living in Northpoint, I would just go over to the Pullman (1 private beach next to the other), grab a chair, order food and drinks. 

Never a problem with anyone, beach was always cleaned up. 

Can't speak for Jomtien and others but WA beach was and will be my beach of choice. 

Edited by JerryinTH

8 hours ago, tropo said:

You only run into working girls if you actively seek them out or visit their establishments. It's completely possible to live a "normal" life in most areas of Pattaya if that is what one wishes to do...and as development continues apace, their presence in town is becoming less and less prominent. That is a good or bad thing depending on one's perspective but that is in fact what's happening.

I feel for you and especially your family, they must be extremely sheltered snowflakes...untutored in the ways of the world.

2 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

Prefer a condo over a house any day of the week. Rather have a nice view, beach front, some sea breeze than being tucked away in a house on the dark side that could be in any other place of the world. 

I want to sit on the balcony and look at the big Pattaya sign, the beach, the ocean, hit G on the elevator and be at the beach.

Might cost the same for a 1br unit in a newer building like a 3br house on the dark side but its worth it, to me. 

HuaHin is far too quite and Phuket is too long of a drive, so there is really only Pattaya as 'getaway' option. 

I agree about a condo on the beach being nicer than a house inland here, though personally I prefer being in Jomtien than on Pattaya beach. However in your shoes I might also consider Rayong and Bang Saen. Both have a number of beach-front condos and a more family-orientated feel to them. For me either would be too quiet as a permanent place to live but for breaks of a few days both are OK. Weekends and public holidays can be very busy in both places though.

46 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I agree about a condo on the beach being nicer than a house inland here, though personally I prefer being in Jomtien than on Pattaya beach. However in your shoes I might also consider Rayong and Bang Saen. Both have a number of beach-front condos and a more family-orientated feel to them. For me either would be too quiet as a permanent place to live but for breaks of a few days both are OK. Weekends and public holidays can be very busy in both places though.

Hard to choose, 3 bed house in Jomtien Park Villas, or 3 bed condo in Reflections or VT 7. I think I would prefer the house.

58 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I have never really checked out both places. I always had the impression they are just little villages without a villa market, central and such things. 

Don't want to sound like some knob but the reason I like Pattaya is mainly because it offers a great selection of restaurants, shopping and of course the beach front living. 

13 minutes ago, JerryinTH said:

I have never really checked out both places. I always had the impression they are just little villages without a villa market, central and such things. 

Don't want to sound like some knob but the reason I like Pattaya is mainly because it offers a great selection of restaurants, shopping and of course the beach front living. 

I quite agree, and I dont mind at all sounding like a knob. The big draw of Pattaya, or in my case Jomtien, is the proximity of many farang restaurants and supermarkets with products for farang tastes. Cant say I care very much about brand name shopping, but that's a personal decision.

Rayong is a big and prosperous city and certainly has supermarkets and restaurants and suchlike, but without the extensive catering to farangs that Pattaya has. The best condos are however many miles from the city centre going towards Ban Phe. Fairly near the condos on the beach you will find restaurants and bars catering to farangs, though you would want your own transport to get to them.

Bang Saen is much smaller though still large enough. There is not much catering to farangs even near the beach but as Bangkok is so close you could take your shopping with you from there.

Both are definitely "get-away" locations as far as I'm concerned.

3 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

I found wong amat beach to be one of the cleaner beaches. Actually went a few times to swim there. While living in Northpoint, I would just go over to the Pullman (1 private beach next to the other), grab a chair, order food and drinks. 

Never a problem with anyone, beach was always cleaned up. 

Can't speak for Jomtien and others but WA beach was and will be my beach of choice. 

Private beach?? When did that occur? 

Why do people make these crazy claims? :)  I used to walk the beach all the way from the Dusit and turn the corner on to Wongamat before much of the development. Much more pleasant than the main Pattaya beach. Perhaps you meant 'relatively quiet'.

From your OP  : Take a look at Na Jomtien, ( about 3-5 km South  of Jomtien : Nice quiet atmosphere, beach (more like Cha am) fresh air, long views, casual outdoor seafood restaurants , full service accommodations.   Although there is alot to be said for a place that you can get anything  you want in a 2 km radius - Pattaya. You have a family and are self contained. Pattaya is close enough for a day trip. 

Edited by morrobay
add

Going down to Pattaya Friday and Saturday to visit friends. Always enjoy going out with the boys and having a laugh. The problem I find with Pattaya is when I go out with the girlfriend. In to many areas the drunks and morons are out and trying to proposition her or just being stupid. She just ignores the idiots but it still bothers her and me. She is a lovely young girl and hates the seediness of the place. It is getting better but the image still attracts morons who think every female is a whore.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I guess you tell them that you live in Jomtien and not Pattaya. There's a few others here that seem stigma averse when it comes to the rels.

As for the 'rough and rude' dark side bar girls, take care out there Petal.

No, my family members are old people and very religious. They've probably never heard of Pattaya. The name or reputation is not why I wouldn't invite them to visit. It's the goings on and the type of people here. If you're worldly that wouldn't bother you.

6 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

You only run into working girls if you actively seek them out or visit their establishments. It's completely possible to live a "normal" life in most areas of Pattaya if that is what one wishes to do...and as development continues apace, their presence in town is becoming less and less prominent. That is a good or bad thing depending on one's perspective but that is in fact what's happening.

I feel for you and especially your family, they must be extremely sheltered snowflakes...untutored in the ways of the world.

What nonsense! Feel sorry for my family? They're just normal old folk you'd meet in any Farang country (American, Europe, Australia etc). They don't need an education about cities like Pattaya and they won't be any worse off without that education.

You run into bar girls everywhere you go, whether you actively seek them or not. A very large percentage of girls here are working girls, even the ones you probably believe aren't working in so called "normal" jobs masquerading as good girls. Perhaps we should save our sympathy for people like you who have come to the point they can't tell the difference anymore. Yes, you're very worldly, but you've forgotten "normal".

Edited by tropo

No no no...your messing with the minds of many posters here...its just cheap girls, cheap beers (preferably 2-for-1), and cheap street food  :lol:

6 hours ago, ttthailand said:

Going down to Pattaya Friday and Saturday to visit friends. Always enjoy going out with the boys and having a laugh. The problem I find with Pattaya is when I go out with the girlfriend. In to many areas the drunks and morons are out and trying to proposition her or just being stupid. She just ignores the idiots but it still bothers her and me. She is a lovely young girl and hates the seediness of the place. It is getting better but the image still attracts morons who think every female is a whore.

Thats quite what I meant with a 'normal life'. 

I don't have the problem in Bangkok, but with a wife who stands out in a crowd full of dark skinned bar girls it was and will apperantly still be a problem. Pretty easy to tell if its a normal light skinned girl from Bangkok with a normal background <deleted>

The only clubs we go to in Pattaya are mainly thai oriented like NOIR and such, because of this very reason. Mostly avoiding any drinking holes in general, but it happens even in Restaurants at Central or J-Avenue. Quite annoying if you can't go to the pisser and have your wife harassed by some drunk. 

Lets not start the white skin vs dark skin debate please. To each their own. 

1 hour ago, JerryinTH said:

Thats quite what I meant with a 'normal life'. 

I don't have the problem in Bangkok, but with a wife who stands out in a crowd full of dark skinned bar girls it was and will apperantly still be a problem. Pretty easy to tell if its a normal light skinned girl from Bangkok with a normal background

The only clubs we go to in Pattaya are mainly thai oriented like NOIR and such, because of this very reason. Mostly avoiding any drinking holes in general, but it happens even in Restaurants at Central or J-Avenue. Quite annoying if you can't go to the pisser and have your wife harassed by some drunk. 

Lets not start the white skin vs dark skin debate please. To each their own. 

Is it just me or are you the one starting the white skin v dark skin debate ?