Eye Surgery.

Kyri

Hi all help will be very much appreciated.

We will be moving close to Sri Chiang Mai about 50km west of Nong Khai at the end of this year and I need to have cataract surgery done.

Any advice on hospitals near or close to Nong Khai or Udon that are qualified to do eye surgery.

I read on another posting about somebody that had cataract surgery done at Kalasin Government Hospital and he was very happy as far as the surgery and price was concerned.

The reason I need it to be done in the north east is for the follow up visits and there will be 2 operations a few weeks apart.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hopefully follow ups will be routine eye exams as it is normally a highly successful operation.  If for a multi focal lens believe I would use a Bangkok facility/doctor with more experience but for normal single focus lens there should be facilities and doctors - just be sure they can measure what is required for lens before operation.  Not sure all facilities will have such ultrasound/laser equipment.

I would not consider having it done at most Thailand pill dispensary clinics (where basic hygiene is often lacking) but agree there are a number of dedicated eye clinics where this might not be an issue here.   In other countries clinics are main stream medical - but here that is often not the case.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

I would not consider having it done at most Thailand pill dispensary clinics (where basic hygiene is often lacking) but agree there are a number of dedicated eye clinics where this might not be an issue here.   In other countries clinics are main stream medical - but here that is often not the case.

The eye clinic I went to is run by a ophthalmologist it was clean and very professional. 

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Rather a strange response.

"pill dispensary clinics (where basic hygiene is often lacking)" ?? What does that mean?

I would not even worry about finding a "dedicated eye clinic"; most major hospitals here in Bangkok have "dedicated" ophthalmological departments - as do, I would guess, most major up-country cities.

Cataract surgery is one of the most regular procedures carried out anywhere.

I had both eyes done at Phayathai 2 Hospital here in Bangkok (one week apart at the advice of the Doctor just in the rather remote but always possibility of infection); never a problem and the only thing I regret is that I did not have it done years ago.

Patrick

56 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

Rather a strange response.

"pill dispensary clinics (where basic hygiene is often lacking)" ?? What does that mean?

I would not even worry about finding a "dedicated eye clinic"; most major hospitals here in Bangkok have "dedicated" ophthalmological departments - as do, I would guess, most major up-country cities.

Cataract surgery is one of the most regular procedures carried out anywhere.

I had both eyes done at Phayathai 2 Hospital here in Bangkok (one week apart at the advice of the Doctor just in the rather remote but always possibility of infection); never a problem and the only thing I regret is that I did not have it done years ago.

Patrick

It means the normal local clinic should the last choice for medical treatment here in my mind - and my experience dates back to the 60's.  Good doctors are much more likely to be found in hospital setting - but do understand that there are exceptions and that upcountry often it is the government hospital doctor staffing the clinic during his off time.  But for most a clinic visit will result in several handfuls of pills - often having no real medical reason for issue.

Try Srinagarind hospital in Khon Kaen. Was there 3 days ago for anexamination. I need macular treatment and they are going to insert a new lens too. Outside of Bangkok it is the best you can find.

I wrote more  here