Rain-making efforts to be stepped up to replenish water in four main dams

webfact

Rain-making efforts to be stepped up to replenish water in four main dams

04090010-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Royal Rain-making and Agricultural Aviation has step up rain-making operations to increase water stored at the country’s four major dams to ensure sufficient water supply to meet demands during the upcoming dry season.

Mr Surasee Kittimonthon, deputy director-general of the department, said that the weather conditions now until October 20 are suitable for rainmaking and the department hopes to add an addition of 800 million cubic metres of rain water into the four dams, including about half of them in Bhumibol dam, during the period.

In the worst case scenario of the lowest level of water in the Bhumibol dam, he estimated that the dam can still hold about 5,000 million cubic metres of water which may have effects on farming areas in Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Sukhothai and Nakhon Sawan provinces.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rain-making-efforts-stepped-replenish-water-four-main-dams/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-05

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Meanwhile there are floods in the country.  How do they stop the clouds drifting

They can't. In a report I've linked to previously, there is an example given regarding "large particle hygroscopic seeding trials involving warm-base convective clouds in Thailand and Texas, increases in rain were reported 3 to 12 hours after seeding was conducted, well beyond the time at which direct effects of seeding were expected and possibly outside the target area."

1,496,500,000 baht was allocated to the Department of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation in FY 2014, and a further 1,563,400,000 baht in FY 2015, yet the country was wracked by its worst drought in 50 years - the only time that they can actually, possibly, maybe, "make" it rain is monsoon season... :whistling: 

Sure seems like money well spent to me!

Edited by jamesbrock

14 minutes ago, DNPBC0 said:

Thanks for posting that link but it's misleading. I was looking for the actual data tables which I couldn't find earlier but have now done so - here they are, if you compare the links there's a big difference, Mae Ngat is only at 36%:

http://www.thaiwater.net/web/index.php/en.html

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

Edited by chiang mai

there's only so much water in the sky - rain making just affects where it lands - it doesn't really address the problem in anything mor e than a propaganda way.

Building dams is a false solution too.....what Thailand needs to do is MANAGE it's water - it's in the tropics FGS! There's plenty of water, it's just how and where you use it.

Inappropriate farming, unregulated industry all take there toll ad they asset up wherever they like and then demand the water supply follows them.

Loss in the storage and transport of mains water also needs to be addressed as it is over 30% - that's a lot of dams" that aren't needed.

54 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Kudos to the districts and provinces that took advantage of low water levels to dredge out river beds this year. They created more water storage as well as reducing flood threats. Well done.

Dredging increases te flow and can lead to problems downstream. Furthermore the origins of the agricultural eco-system - e.g rice growing are based on flooding....it is other "users" who move in for the water then get upset when it floods.....they simply shouldn't be there.

I was skeptical but cautiously optimistic about the La Nina predictions for this season.  Had 3 decent rain fall sessions so far but nowhere near the quantity or duration needed to make up the severe deficit in my area.  Our local reservoirs still virtually dry, no city water on tap, people still taking well water deliveries. I was already concerned about the status of the bore holes in my area, which have been providing household water for 6-7 months already.   Our local well water delivery sources have always been same day service, often within hours of calling.  Wife called for 2,000 liters last week and was told no chance, totally booked up.  Luckily it rained just enough that night to fill our tanks.  

If this trend holds through September/October, the next year looks rather bleak.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

step up rain-making operations to increase water stored at the country’s four major dams

Odd.

Just last month Department of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation  Director-General Lersak Rewtarkulpaiboon stated that the amount of rainfall triggered by the cloud seeding operations in the North throughout the rainy season was 55% higher than the amount of natural rainfall Four large dams reportedly received 3.7 billion cubic meters of water, which would be enough for consumption during the next dry season.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939675-cloud-seeding-operation-replenishes-major-dams-in-the-north/

5 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

They can't. In a report I've linked to previously, there is an example given regarding "large particle hygroscopic seeding trials involving warm-base convective clouds in Thailand and Texas, increases in rain were reported 3 to 12 hours after seeding was conducted, well beyond the time at which direct effects of seeding were expected and possibly outside the target area."

1,496,500,000 baht was allocated to the Department of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation in FY 2014, and a further 1,563,400,000 baht in FY 2015, yet the country was wracked by its worst drought in 50 years - the only time that they can actually, possibly, maybe, "make" it rain is monsoon season... :whistling: 

Sure seems like money well spent to me!

I bet those at the top of that food chain all have shiny new cars and trucks. 

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

Meanwhile there are floods in the country.  How do they stop the clouds drifting

We are not all being treated or rained on equally. I think we have reached a tipping point where all the rain in the world will not solve our problems. Too little attention has been given during the dry spell to clean out and widen dams and creating new storage sites. Of course that all costs money and of course subs come first. 

What an amazing (Thailand), voodoo, conception!!! IMHO - and until proven otherwise - controlling the weather with an aircraft is about as crazy as using moored vessels along a river to control flooding.

Where is the scientific proof that either works??

Currently, no dam is over 80% full and MOST are under 50%. In NE Thailand only one is over 50%. But locally the fields and small ponds are all full ...... They just don't seem to be collecting it at the right places ....... Guess drought problems will be same as this year by next Songkran.

10 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Kudos to the districts and provinces that took advantage of low water levels to dredge out river beds this year. They created more water storage as well as reducing flood threats. Well done.

Will be filled up with garbage before the water comes.  They clean out the drains and waterways in our village also and within 2 days everyone dumps their rubbish and garden refuge in them ready for next year's cleanout

2 hours ago, bdenner said:

What an amazing (Thailand), voodoo, conception!!! IMHO - and until proven otherwise - controlling the weather with an aircraft is about as crazy as using moored vessels along a river to control flooding.

It was created and patented my a much revered man of extremely high standing in Thailand so it works, to say otherwise you could face a very long prison sentence.

5 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

One suggestion do a cultural exchange thingee with America and bring over a rain making shaman from one of the Indian tribes there to do a rain dance. It would serve as a tourist attraction as well a Buffalo Bill renaissance. 

No sorry, the country has been flooded with pokemons and millions of tourists are to busy to watch a rain dance

3 hours ago, bdenner said:

You can't say that - plod will be a knocking soon if you are in country !