Boy Driver Dies In Smash

thaigerd

From today's Phuket Gazette online:

Boy driver dies in smash

KOH KAEW: A 12-year-old boy died when he crashed his motorcycle while overtaking a car on a curved section of Thepkrasattri Rd on Tuesday.

Pol Lt Apichart Rainchana of Phuket Police Station identified the boy as Adisak Det-aran, a student at Baan Sapam Mongkol Wittaya School. He was still in his student uniform when police arrived at the accident scene, about 4:30 pm.

The first-year high-school student was returning north to his home in Tambon Srisoonthorn from Phuket City, where he dropped a friend off home after school, Lt Apichart said.

Riding his parents’ black Honda Wave at high speed and without a helmet, Adisak tried to overtake a car on the left, Lt Apichart explained.

Misjudging the distance, he grazed the side of the car and lost control of the bike, which smashed into a guard rail and then plummeted about 10 meters into a roadside ravine, where a sharp stick punctured his lung, he said.

Young Adisak was dead by the time witnesses were able to get to his body, which was later recovered by rescue workers form the Kusoldharm Foundation and taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Adisak’s home room teacher Sangsuthin Krueasane told the Gazette that Adisak was a friendly boy and a diligent student.

“This is terrible news for us. I talked with the students this morning and told them that Adisak’s death should be an example for them. Adisak had only started riding his parents motorbike to school a few days before,” K. Sangsuthin said.

“Our teachers meet with parents at the beginning of every term and ask them not to let underage children ride motorcycles to school,” she added.

Thais can apply for a motorcycle driving license from the age of 15.

Adisak’s family have claimed his body to prepare for his funeral rites.

How sad. My best student, age 16, died from head injuries he sustained while on a motorcycle, stopped at a traffic light, without wearing a helmet (it was in the basket). One of my 12 year old students in the same town drove to school every day. Tragic. They don't take lessons on motorcyce safety, and they only 'learn' the hard way.

of course they won't

just as they won't stop people driving the wrong way up the road, at night with the lights either of or the basket so full that you cannot see the lights

its a tragedy that someone so young has lost his life but this will not affect how the kids/adults here drive one little bit

i am actually constantly amazed that there is so little carnage on the roads given the way that the general populance drives

It'll never change mate. I drove past a bloke this afternoon who just came off his bike, no helmet, blood pouring down his face, obviously in a bad way. I have no sympathy.

What parent would let a 12 year old ride a bike to school, let alone with no helmet!!

just as they won't stop people driving the wrong way up the road, at night with the lights either of or the basket so full that you cannot see the lights

now THIS drives me crazy. families of 4 on a bike at night time with the shopping piled up in the front basket so you cant see their headlight. insane.

they dont seem to wear helmets for safety purposes (although the plastic jobs that they wear would have just as much effect as a KFC bucket in my opinion). they wear them only in front of the police to avoid a fine. safety doesnt come in to it.

i think that thailand needs some serious car crash ads like in australia. that may shock people into wearing them, but somehow, sadly, i doubt it.

I think there is something about the culture that is the source of this problem. The lack of safety precautions seems to go way beyond driving habits.

Examples: high voltage lines within arms reach in Bangkok, manhole covers that tip when you step on them, jagged pieces of metal inside an old bus (just waiting to impale a passenger during a sudden stop), sun awnings with the ends of the metal poles at forehead level. It is an insurance agents nightmare, and a lawyers dream.

I consider living in Thailand much more hazzardous than my own country, and I just have to conentrate on being more personally vigilant and responsible for my own safety. Part of the trade-offs of living here, I guess.

It'll never change mate. I drove past a bloke this afternoon who just came off his bike, no helmet, blood pouring down his face, obviously in a bad way. I have no sympathy.

What parent would let a 12 year old ride a bike to school, let alone with no helmet!!

This is one of the Thai culture things i cannot get used to even after 14 years of it.

How tragic it all is and so many young lives wasted.

My heart takes a bashing every time i hear / see them, especially when they post the pictures all over the Thai language papers and on the T.V.

As others will observe, what on earth are the parents doing encouraging and allowing them to do this.

I,ve also had several near misses while driving the pick up.

God only knows what i will feel like and do if one of them cannot be avoided by avasive action.

Sod the TIT brigade on this one as far as i am concerned.

marhbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

I hope out of this tragedy some good might come & the police start to enforce the laws about children riding motobikes :D RIP.

Every minute of every day I see people riding without helmets. It is not uncommon to see policemen riding without a helmet. What is it about helmet that makes Thais hate wearing them? I wouldn't even consider hopping on a bike without a helmet... not even to go down to the corner of my road. It simply ain't worth it.

I would like to see the parents of this poor youngster held responsible for the tragedy. It is as much their fault as it is the boy's.

How many more innocent people have to die to before the police actually start enforcing traffic laws? :o:D

I hope out of this tragedy some good might come & the police start to enforce the laws about children riding motorbikes :o RIP.

You are so right Boo...

What a terrible loss of young life, snuffed out before it has even started....

Question is? How do we protect the Thais from themselves ???

I agree with other posters, when are the powers to be going to start protecting these babies from themselves..

My deepest sympathy goes out to the family & friends of this young Boy..

Long time ago I've asked a friend (policeman in Patong):"I never see you stopping and checking all the young boys and girls racing around Patong at weekends!?"

His reply:"Many of them have very influental parents and when we would check them, the policemen will get in trouble about this!".

So better they close their eyes and pretend to see nothing :o

Gerd

Long time ago I've asked a friend (policeman in Patong):"I never see you stopping and checking all the young boys and girls racing around Patong at weekends!?"

His reply:"Many of them have very influental parents and when we would check them, the policemen will get in trouble about this!".

Gerd

Sergeant Schultz style :D

Gerd

Sergeant Schultz style :D

What a sad situation when money dictates who lives and who dies..

Boy driver dies in smash

Riding his parents’ black Honda Wave at high speed and without a helmet, Adisak tried to overtake a car on the left, Lt Apichart explained.

In related news, Charles Darwin's ghost seen rubbing hands together and chuckling.

Boy driver dies in smash

In related news, Charles Darwin's ghost seen rubbing hands together and chuckling.

That's not funny, and it's not a ghost, but a demon. Let us not rejoice that even the smartest geniuses in Thailand have died without helmets on the streets of Thailand.

Boy driver dies in smash

That's not funny, and it's not a ghost, but a demon. Let us not rejoice that even the smartest geniuses in Thailand have died without helmets on the streets of Thailand.

Have read all the comments and the tragic loss of young lives is sickening. But this is not endemic to thailand alone. Here in civilised Queensland we are mourning the deaths of 14 boys and girls under the age of 19 killed in horrendous traffic accidents this month through speeding, the police are just as useless here as in thailand, :o Nignoy

No doubt the parents are distraught. This is how it seems to go with personal responsibility in Thailand. It's all mai pen rai until it happens to one of your own. Then it's a tragedy.

I don't know if procecution and fines will work. Some sort of public shaming might, as face seems to trump everything. Maybe making police commanders personally responsible for juvenile traffic fatalities in their area would shake them of their indifference.

No doubt the parents are distraught. This is how it seems to go with personal responsibility in Thailand. It's all mai pen rai until it happens to one of your own. Then it's a tragedy.

I don't know if procecution and fines will work. Some sort of public shaming might, as face seems to trump everything. Maybe making police commanders personally responsible for juvenile traffic fatalities in their area would shake them of their indifference.

I cannot understand how, many, of the distraught families can still turn a blind eye to the obvious after personal tragedy.

Why don,t they act and stop the rest of the family members from breaking the law by allowing their young to carry on regardless even after such unbearable heartbreak :o

Re education is the only sure answer due to existing Thai culture on this one along with stiff penalties for the guardians / and authorities who encourage this sort of activity to continue.

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Re education is the only sure answer due to existing Thai culture on this one along with stiff penalties for the guardians / and authorities who encourage this sort of activity to continue.

marshbags :o:D:D

QUOTE(thaigerd @ 2006-11-24 18:41:27)

So better they close their eyes and pretend to see nothing

So as I see it we have triple tier actions, one rule for average Thai,,one rule for rich Thai and another rule for Foreigners..

Again I ask "How many young lives are going to be lost before the authorities do something about it!!"

Boy driver dies in smash

Have read all the comments and the tragic loss of young lives is sickening. But this is not endemic to thailand alone. Here in civilised Queensland we are mourning the deaths of 14 boys and girls under the age of 19 killed in horrendous traffic accidents this month through speeding, the police are just as useless here as in thailand, :o Nignoy

In a related development Darwin's ghost now seen whooping with joy and high-fiving his old buddy, the Grim Reaper. Personal Responsibility spotted sulking in the corner.

Sorry if I seem callous but I have little sympathy for people killed in motorbike accidents who do not even take the most basic of precautions, yet then expect pity. If you want to let your 12 year old kid out on a scooter without even a helmet in Phuket town during rush-hour then great; more power to you. *BUT* don't be surprised if he ends up as a stain on the road one day or smashed into a tree or whatever.

I have ridden for 25 years, and the old adage about "if you haven't come off then you are about to come off" is as true now as ever.

Oh, and to the one who says Darwin's ghost is a demon I will apologise, and give you a news flash: there is no such thing as ghosts, demons, fairies, pixies, leprechauns, santa, the easter bunny or god. I should have said Darwin's legacy. Have another glass of Kool-Aid and you'll be fine.

/I take no responsibility for anything written in this post, it was FSM's will

Oh, and to the one who says Darwin's ghost is a demon I will apologise, and give you a news flash: there is no such thing as ghosts, demons, fairies, pixies, leprechauns, santa, the easter bunny or god. I should have said Darwin's legacy. Have another glass of Kool-Aid and you'll be fine.

I presume the bit about there being no santa was just a joke, right?

I presume the bit about there being no santa was just a joke, right?

Has to be a joke :o

Another wasted life,RIP little one.

The Thais just dont get road meeting head can be deadly . But what really gets me upset is mixed race couples and tourists with kids doing the same thing.

How often do you see a western bloke with baby less than 1yr old perched on his missus leg with no helmet or protection what so ever,shame on them :o

These people do know better.......yet due to the holiday and this is Thailand syndrome they still do it.

I worked as a medic in LOS for several years head injuries where/still are the main cause of death.

For A child less than 1yr old just slipping of a staionary bike head first is capable of killing or maiming your little one.

When I was explaining to a skandy tourist the fact that his little girl 7yrs old will not be able to fly home for a mth due to surgery needed to put her face back on,

The father was worrying that his insurance wouldnt cover it due to no one having a helmet the bike was a big bike and there fore not insured and he was a little drunk.... :D what a w####r

So if you are from another country you do know better if you choose to carry your kid or let your little one have some holiday fun on a bike or quad,with no helmet be prepared to have a empty seat next to you on the flight home......

no one is going to do anything or make any changes because if you ask most Thais why the kid died they would answer it was his time to die. there is no thought towards the irresponsible parents or the fact that he was underaged and without a helmet.

Thats exactly what my wife and her mate said about this!! Spot on.

We often buy garlands for the car, and peep the horn three times at the temple on top of Patong Hill. I always say I am ok now and can drive pissed and carelessly as I have the requisite flowers and have tooted the spirits.

She doesn't know I am taking the piss.

The other thing to watch here is when the Police stop the traffic on the main road to let the school traffic come out... How many kids on each bike, how many helmets...

They just wave em all out of the safety of the school onto the demolition derby race track that is Phukets Roads these days. It is much worse here than anywhere else I have lived in Thailand. :o