Boy Driver Dies In Smash

thaigerd

no one is going to do anything or make any changes because if you ask most Thais why the kid died they would answer it was his time to die. there is no thought towards the irresponsible parents or the fact that he was underaged and without a helmet.

Thats exactly what my wife and her mate said about this!! Spot on.

We often buy garlands for the car, and peep the horn three times at the temple on top of Patong Hill. I always say I am ok now and can drive pissed and carelessly as I have the requisite flowers and have tooted the spirits.

She doesn't know I am taking the piss.

The other thing to watch here is when the Police stop the traffic on the main road to let the school traffic come out... How many kids on each bike, how many helmets...

They just wave em all out of the safety of the school onto the demolition derby race track that is Phukets Roads these days. It is much worse here than anywhere else I have lived in Thailand. :o

All very true and it remains very sad.

But, how much fun are you gonna have when one of these kids has an accident with you and you need to come up with some amount of money to appease the family?

I am not a resident in Phuket, however we have been there around 12 times. On each occasion we rented a car and I remember remarking to Mr Man that there were a huge number of children riding motorbikes, with normally three individuals on them. We saw many more than here in Bangkok. Maybe it is a geographical phenomenon.

Whatever, RIP young man.

It's really sad to hear of a 12 year old dying so early in life.

But the accident statistics here are staggering. Nearly one person dies every day from a motorbike accident. There are over 12000 motorbike accidents here every year.

It's very scary out there.

Also it's seems like these kids are going faster and faster all the time. They're tuning up their machines to go as fast as possible. It's a significant side business tuning up scooters to go fast.

From today's Phuket Gazette online:

Boy driver dies in smash

Riding his parents’ black Honda Wave at high speed and without a helmet, Adisak tried to overtake a car on the left, Lt Apichart explained.

In related news, Charles Darwin's ghost seen rubbing hands together and chuckling.

That's not funny, and it's not a ghost, but a demon. Let us not rejoice that even the smartest geniuses in Thailand have died without helmets on the streets of Thailand.

Have read all the comments and the tragic loss of young lives is sickening. But this is not endemic to thailand alone. Here in civilised Queensland we are mourning the deaths of 14 boys and girls under the age of 19 killed in horrendous traffic accidents this month through speeding, the police are just as useless here as in thailand, :o Nignoy

In a related development Darwin's ghost now seen whooping with joy and high-fiving his old buddy, the Grim Reaper. Personal Responsibility spotted sulking in the corner.

Sorry if I seem callous but I have little sympathy for people killed in motorbike accidents who do not even take the most basic of precautions, yet then expect pity. If you want to let your 12 year old kid out on a scooter without even a helmet in Phuket town during rush-hour then great; more power to you. *BUT* don't be surprised if he ends up as a stain on the road one day or smashed into a tree or whatever.

I have ridden for 25 years, and the old adage about "if you haven't come off then you are about to come off" is as true now as ever.

Oh, and to the one who says Darwin's ghost is a demon I will apologise, and give you a news flash: there is no such thing as ghosts, demons, fairies, pixies, leprechauns, santa, the easter bunny or god. I should have said Darwin's legacy. Have another glass of Kool-Aid and you'll be fine.

/I take no responsibility for anything written in this post, it was FSM's will

Wow, finally a post I can agree with. You know, most people know, early on in life, that if you touch the stove when it’s hot, it will burn you. Not a hard lesson to be learned nor taught. As for Slacks' point of view, ######, good call. I wonder if the car didn't have anything to do with the accident. Many of these youngsters that are attempting to qualify for the moto-GP are fairly good if not excellent drivers. I have witnessed on many occasions, young Thai Rossi's make some unbelievable moves, in traffic. Now, I am not an ice hearted SOB, but don't blame the police. What do they know? For the money they are paid, I wouldn't do anything either. Thousands of people are born everyday into this world, just as thousands of people must die. It is Mother Natures Law of Chaos. I do not believe in fate or a god of any kind. I believe that Chaos, in its natural form, dictates what is happening, not what will happen. As far as the accident, I have been swerved at, and run off the road by local Thai’s, feeling that this is acceptable. To hog the road, and act like they can’t see you. I would bet that the driver of the car interfered with the boy. Having witnessed it myself as a poom-pui falang driving on the roads of Phuket, Thai's drive like they are in front, and if you pass them, it is a loss of face.

As for influential parents, and police being afraid to prosecute, I wouldn't do anything either. Let them all drive they way they want. It is their country, you are but merely decoration.

I hope out of this tragedy some good might come & the police start to enforce the laws about children riding motorbikes :o RIP.

You are so right Boo...

What a terrible loss of young life, snuffed out before it has even started....

Question is? How do we protect the Thais from themselves ???

I agree with other posters, when are the powers to be going to start protecting these babies from themselves..

My deepest sympathy goes out to the family & friends of this young Boy..

I'd give them sympathy.... They are the very people (the parents) who are the primary cause of this tragic event.

I would bet that they never gave, or the kid never received any training whatsoever in how to ride the bike, the safety measures that he should be aware of (not to mention the fact that it was illegal for him to be on the bike in the first place)

It's all very well to say it's no big deal riding a motor bike, and it's not, it's as easy as falling off a log, and the consequences are again demonstrated very graphically here.

Sympathy for the friends YES, the parents NO! They should be prosecuted for having allowed the kid to be riding the bike in the first place.

Edited by john b good

I hope out of this tragedy some good might come & the police start to enforce the laws about children riding motorbikes :o RIP.

You are so right Boo...

I agree with other posters, when are the powers to be going to start protecting these babies from themselves..

I'd give them sympathy.... They are the very people (the parents) who are the primary cause of this tragic event.

I would bet that they never gave, or the kid never received any training whatsoever in how to ride the bike, the safety measures that he should be aware of (not to mention the fact that it was illegal for him to be on the bike in the first place)

It's all very well to say it's no big deal riding a motor bike, and it's not, it's as easy as falling off a log, and the consequences are again demonstrated very graphically here.

Sympathy for the friends YES, the parents NO! They should be prosecuted for having allowed the kid to be riding the bike in the first place.

If the Parents are uneducated which is usually the case, How Do They Educate The Kids..

All the Laws are on the statute books, what the hel_l are the police doing..

They are scared shiteless that they might have influential Parents..

Sad situation when the cops are underpowered,,

I hope out of this tragedy some good might come & the police start to enforce the laws about children riding motorbikes :D RIP.

You are so right Boo...

If the Parents are uneducated which is usually the case, How Do They Educate The Kids..

Can't accept this.....

There are many intelligent people in Thailand (as there are in every country) and the fact that they are not given the opportunity of having an education does not take away their ability to be intelligent per se.

Also, some of the best educated people you will ever meet are also the most stupid people that you will ever meet.

Do you think for one moment that the worst educated people (Thai) are so stupid that they do not know that 15 is the legal age for gaining a motorcycle licence in the realm.

These people who ignore the law when it comes to ensuring their childrens safety do not deserve to have children.

We are unlikely to ever know but if the parents of this kid have other younger children do you really think that they will ban (prevent) them from riding a motorcycle until they are legally qualified to do so. I don't think so.

The reason that they do not take care of their children is not because they are uneducated, it is because they are STUPID, STUPID, STUPID and no amount of education is gonna change that. :o

And as intoxicajun said....

"Many of these youngsters that are attempting to qualify for the moto-GP are fairly good if not excellent drivers. I have witnessed on many occasions, young Thai Rossi's make some unbelievable moves, in traffic".

This is the very point.... Being a clown on a motorcycle does not mean that you are a good rider. Does anyone think that Valentino Rossi would ride around the street's of Phuket or anywhere else like an outright idiot. I don't think so.

It would be like saying that someone who had operated a remote controlled model airplane is qualified to fly an Boeing 747 or and A380.

The answer is obviously NO and it is the same for these cretins on their motor cycles (and in the case of those under the age of 15 this includes their cretinous parents)

Edited by john b good

I hope out of this tragedy some good might come & the police start to enforce the laws about children riding motorbikes :D RIP.

You are so right Boo...

Can't accept this.....

There are many intelligent people in Thailand (as there are in every country) and the fact that they are not given the opportunity of having an education does not take away their ability to be intelligent per se.

Also, some of the best educated people you will ever meet are also the most stupid people that you will ever meet.

Do you think for one moment that the worst educated people (Thai) are so stupid that they do not know that 15 is the legal age for gaining a motorcycle licence in the realm.

These people who ignore the law when it comes to ensuring their childrens safety do not deserve to have children.

We are unlikely to ever know but if the parents of this kid have other younger children do you really think that they will ban (prevent) them from riding a motorcycle until they are legally qualified to do so. I don't think so.

The reason that they do not take care of their children is not because they are uneducated, it is because they are STUPID, STUPID, STUPID and no amount of education is gonna change that. :o

And as intoxicajun said....

"Many of these youngsters that are attempting to qualify for the moto-GP are fairly good if not excellent drivers. I have witnessed on many occasions, young Thai Rossi's make some unbelievable moves, in traffic".

This is the very point.... Being a clown on a motorcycle does not mean that you are a good rider. Does anyone think that Valentino Rossi would ride around the street's of Phuket or anywhere else like an outright idiot. I don't think so.

It would be like saying that someone who had operated a remote controlled model airplane is qualified to fly an Boeing 747 or and A380.

The answer is obviously NO and it is the same for these cretins on their motor cycles (and in the case of those under the age of 15 this includes their cretinous parents)

Couldn't Agree with you more...You write a very convincing argument..

But with the Mentality that when they are dead they've gone to a better place..

To me this indicates ignorance, and yes they are very STUPID..

Hence my comment How do they educate the kids...

(Bye the way most pilots are trained in simulators..)

And it continues.....

Again from the Phuket Gazette.

Bloody day on Phuket’s roads

Phuket: Four people, including three 11-year-old boys, were killed in two separate road accidents on Monday.

The first accident occurred about 7:30 pm, when three boys on a motorcycle and a sedan collided head-on in front of Andavana Spa, on Thepprathan Rd, Koh Sireh.

The driver, Channarong Sadimin, and one of his passengers, Suriyapong Premjaroen, died at the scene.

The third boy, Piyapong Sukwilai, was rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where he died the following morning. The boys were pupils at Wat Buddhamongkolnimitr School.

Pol Lt Theeradet Jiraksa, Duty Officer at Phuket Police Station, said that the driver of the sedan gave a statement reporting that the three boys, none of whom were wearing helmets, were weaving between cars at high speed before suddenly cutting into his lane, leaving him no time to react.

No charges will be pressed against the driver of the car, who has offered to help the parents with the costs of the boys’ funerals.

The boys were not the first pre-teens to perish in a motorbike accident in November. Less than a week earlier, 12-year-old Adisak Det-aran was killed in an accident on Thepkrasattri Rd in Koh Kaew.

In another fatal accident, also on Monday, a taxi driver crashed his car into an electricity pylon near Super Cheap, on Thepkrasattri Rd, around 8 pm.

“We think the taxi driver dozed off as he was driving and then crashed into the pylon. His neck was broken by the impact and he died at the scene. We found no alcohol in his blood, so we presume that the accident was caused by the driver being tired rather than drunk.

“We estimate that he was driving about 120 kilometers an hour at the time of the accident,” Lt Theeradet explained.

Police named the taxi driver as 39-year-old Chartchai Chuachit, who worked from the taxi stand near Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

And it continues.....

Again from the Phuket Gazette.

Bloody day on Phuket’s roads

Phuket: Four people, including three 11-year-old boys, were killed in two separate road accidents on Monday.

The first accident occurred about 7:30 pm, when three boys on a motorcycle and a sedan collided head-on in front of Andavana Spa, on Thepprathan Rd, Koh Sireh.

The driver, Channarong Sadimin, and one of his passengers, Suriyapong Premjaroen, died at the scene.

The third boy, Piyapong Sukwilai, was rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where he died the following morning. The boys were pupils at Wat Buddhamongkolnimitr School.

Pol Lt Theeradet Jiraksa, Duty Officer at Phuket Police Station, said that the driver of the sedan gave a statement reporting that the three boys, none of whom were wearing helmets, were weaving between cars at high speed before suddenly cutting into his lane, leaving him no time to react.

No charges will be pressed against the driver of the car, who has offered to help the parents with the costs of the boys’ funerals.

The boys were not the first pre-teens to perish in a motorbike accident in November. Less than a week earlier, 12-year-old Adisak Det-aran was killed in an accident on Thepkrasattri Rd in Koh Kaew.

In another fatal accident, also on Monday, a taxi driver crashed his car into an electricity pylon near Super Cheap, on Thepkrasattri Rd, around 8 pm.

“We think the taxi driver dozed off as he was driving and then crashed into the pylon. His neck was broken by the impact and he died at the scene. We found no alcohol in his blood, so we presume that the accident was caused by the driver being tired rather than drunk.

“We estimate that he was driving about 120 kilometers an hour at the time of the accident,” Lt Theeradet explained.

Police named the taxi driver as 39-year-old Chartchai Chuachit, who worked from the taxi stand near Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

What a Sad Sorry Situation we are in, such a tragic wastse and loss of young life..

I really feel for the driver of that car as he will have to live with that..

A motorbike costs from 35000 Baht.

I could not imagine for a moment that my parents would have given or let me borrow anything with 10% of that value. Where are these bikes coming from? Taking away the bikes is the answer. Only a highly irresponsible parent, would give or lend a motorbike to their child.

Once again, the bikes are the answer. No bikes, no underage bikers. The police should impound the vehicles. This won't happen soon but it may happen one day.

they are in the main it seems the "families" bikes and the kids simply use them when the parents are not

have a look down nai harn of an evening or a weekend and you will see the "kids" all cruising on all manner of bikes from proper buckets to the go faster jobs

anyway kids will be kids, when i was 15 i had a zxr 400, parents didint have a clue as it was kept at a friends house. used it for almost two yrs before they found out .............

and the for the poster that sia dthey "pull off some good moves etc" there is a big difference between being skilled and being a <deleted> idiot on a bike. Most of the riders appear to be the latter

Edited by smartecosse