Surat Thani crowned Thailand's happiest province, Phuket the most miserable

snoop1130

Surat Thani crowned Thailand's happiest province, Phuket the most miserable

By Coconuts Bangkok

5919807972_d7d01bf0df_b.jpg

Photo: Thomas Sauzedde/ Flickr

Surat Thani, the province that hosts the wildest parties in Thailand, unsurprisingly defeated Bangkok as Thailand's happiest province, according to a survey released by Super Poll.

In the latest Gross Domestic Happiness survey, which indexed more than 30,000 participants in 77 provinces, Thailand's average happiness score is 6.09 out of 10 points while Surat Thani scored 7.29 for the win.

Meanwhile, Bangkokians are a little sadder than the average Thai. The capital was pushed to 30th place with a happiness score of just 5.87.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/05/surat-thani-crowned-thailands-happiest-province-phuket-most-miserable

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-09-05

As a fully certified curmudgeon I can think that nothing could be less calculated to make me happy than being on a vomit puddled beach surrounded by a crowd of sweaty western tourists, wearing silly pork pie hats, neon face paint, and gulping fake "vodka" from plastic buckets whilst some creature who feels the need to wear sunglasses at night plays "music" which sounds like the destruction testing department of a pneumatic drill development facility.

Bah humbug I say....

7 minutes ago, JAG said:

As a fully certified curmudgeon I can think that nothing could be less calculated to make me happy than being on a vomit puddled beach surrounded by a crowd of sweaty western tourists, wearing silly pork pie hats, neon face paint, and gulping fake "vodka" from plastic buckets whilst some creature who feels the need to wear sunglasses at night plays "music" which sounds like the destruction testing department of a pneumatic drill development facility.

Bah humbug I say....

You sound just like my father 50 years ago :))

Edited by ChrisY1

34 minutes ago, JAG said:

Bah humbug I say....

Look at the pic, nobody has black hair........And why are they so happy? From the full moon parties maybe?

But i agree that Surat Thani has a great atmosphere and kind people who don't try to cheat you all the time and even have some manners, unlike phuket or bangkok. They even showed all their prices on the markets in Suratthani last time i was there.

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

They don't look thai in that photo, who did they survey tourists or local indigenous population.  If it was the locals how about a photo showing them as happy as the tourists

Of course the locals are happy and smiling, they are in the background selling.

Another BS post. While living on Samui for nearly ten years, I rarely ran into local folks that were happy with their lot in life. Most were transplants as the locals have left Samui years ago. The ones that were there were there to make money, and they did not have much of a life. Little in the way of local pride. Everything was overpriced. Not much to be happy about. If there are going to include the tourists who are visiting the full moon parties (which are under siege from the army as of late, who are administering drug tests are the revelers are leaving the party!) not sure what kind of result they are going to get.

But, regardless this is a ridiculous survey, that means nothing to anybody, except the TAT. 

13 hours ago, JAG said:

Bah humbug I say....

News flash - attendance is NOT mandatory.

13 hours ago, JAG said:

Bah humbug I say....

Fortunately, these parties are held in a very small part of Surat Thani which you can't be exposed to accidentally.  

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Another BS post. While living on Samui for nearly ten years, I rarely ran into local folks that were happy with their lot in life. Most were transplants as the locals have left Samui years ago. The ones that were there were there to make money, and they did not have much of a life. Little in the way of local pride. Everything was overpriced. Not much to be happy about. If there are going to include the tourists who are visiting the full moon parties (which are under siege from the army as of late, who are administering drug tests are the revelers are leaving the party!) not sure what kind of result they are going to get.

But, regardless this is a ridiculous survey, that means nothing to anybody, except the TAT. 

But Koh Samui is in Surat Thani, the happiest province. Perhaps they forgot to poll off the mainland.