"We're not running a hotel" Chiang Mai temple hits back at online "resort" claims

webfact

"We're not running a hotel" Chiang Mai temple hits back at online "resort" claims

p3.jpg

Image: Sanook

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai temple has hit back at claims made online that they are running a hotel on their site.

Pictures published online claiming to be at the U-Sai-Kham temple in Chiang Mai show very nice facilities - eleven rooms are fitted with all the luxuries a tourist might expect including a phone, fridge, water heater and fully equipped bathroom with bath, reported Sanook.

And it was claimed that breakfast was also provided to guests.

While nearby a four storey building was also being erected - also to provide accommodation.

But lay spokesman Jakkhuban Thanachai said the claims were nonsense.

He admitted that the rooms were almost as described but did not have baths. He said the pictures were similar but had been photo-shopped and he wondered about the motive of the poster of the story.

Jakkhuban said that the rooms were for visiting monks who came to the temple to recuperate. No charges were ever made and they had been there for 30 years.

As far as the four storey building goes, that was just three storey and was a replacement for monks' quarters that had fallen into ruin, he added. There would be 40 beds for monks in that complex.

The story had caused a furor online with netizens up in arms that the men in saffron were running a business contrary to Buddhist precepts.

In one picture a pretty woman was seen combing her hair saying she had stayed at the temple.

Jakkhuban said this was also untrue - no way would there be female guests of any sort at the temple, he said.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-06

I stayed at a temple in Kamphaeng Phet, the temple has 10 rooms for monks or people who want to stay for retreat and meditation (there are only 3 monks in the temple at the moment so they let laypeople use the rooms that are not occupied by monks). All rooms has AC, raised beds (3cm mattress on a wooden frame), toilet and shower, and so on. It has all been payed for by 4 of the villagers who has been working in Norway for the last 10-15 years. I also know one temple in Sukothai that has like a small resort for people who want to stay and meditate. It consists of 10 buildings with everything (no AC, only fans) including refrigerators and indoor toilets/showers. It was a school teacher who build that as she don't have any children!

On the other hand I have stayed at one temple where the abbot had a 3x3m room made of concrete and the other monks stayed in huts made of wood, bamboo or corrugated roof tiles... They were about to build new housings for the monks when I was there as the villagers had donated over 1,000,000 Baht specifically for that.

So it's easy to blame the monks/temples for having these places but in most cases they are payed for by wealthy people wanting to make merit.

I guess that no one here would complain about luang Phor Koon but he basically had a in temple hospital payed for by his followers, on the other hand they also help pay for other hospitals, schools, roads and temples in Korat and around Thailand.

Wherever there's smoke, there's always a.  ..............

incense

Besides... if it was a Hotel, then there would be a Gideons Bible in a Drawer somewhere

Edited by tifino

18 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

So why doesn't someone go along and check - find out who is telling the truth ?

Ah Yes, Lets ask the BIB in the area that are on the take  or are possible sharing the profits to check this "Rumor" out.

Edited by sanukjim

These monks and temples can pretty much do what they want. A resort is not out of the question, and certainly visiting monks and meditators need some kind of facilities. This reminds me of the monks who run a cafe on their temple grounds. Absolutely in-your-face business with nothing to do with Buddhism or the monkhood. http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-articles/a-coffee-shop-fuelled-on-dharma/

Any monk who practices the the precepts wouldn't be using the 'luxurious bed' which is also a no-no for laymen following the 8 precepts during 'retreats.'  So imho, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it's a resort, errr I mean, it's a duck. :rolleyes:

That looks quite spartan to me, no towels twisted into the shape of sickening loveswans to distract guests from their daily meditations. And the colors are all primary: earth, wind and fire according to Buddhist precepts presenting one's carnal existence. Also no clock on the wall for the notion that time here - on earth - is ephemeral and one's soul will soon be prime for afterlife (or -lives, depending.) 
Passed.:wai2: