Advice on the areas of Wat Ket and Nong Hoi, please

Tib6005

Hello everyone,

Any local knowledge, please?

I viewed a rental property today which I'm really interested in. It's over the river (I'd quite like to be this side of town), but not having been this far down until today, I don't know much about the area. I have read some blogs and posts, but they're conflicting and not especially recent. Some mention this is a flood area, or has been in the past. 

The house is off the Old Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road. There is a "triangular" White Church on the corner -  it may be Soi 3.  I'm unsure if the area is Wat Ket or Nong Hoi. The Gymkhana Club is a little way up the main road.  The house itself, is quite tucked away and the area is leafy, which I like enormously.  My concerns are: is the area is safe, are there any soi dog issues, and if songthaews are readily available, especially at night-time, should I wish to go out for dinner or to the night market etc?   I do not have my own transport.

If anyone lives locally, advice will be very welcome.

Thank you so much,

Imelda

I have lived in Wat Ket for the last 7 or so years and am familiar with the area you mentioned near Gymkhanna and Northwards.  To me it is very much under appreciated and quite a few nice houses/town houses about and have not heard or had any trouble from the blocks of small units scattered about.  It is very close to the old old city, Rimping, Don Chan, ....and a fairly good run to Festival or even Airport bypassing the city.   Soi dogs do not seem to be a problem.  Flooding has been a problem but a number of years ago and I am not sure if the old flood map is of any relevance now (hopefully) given work on flood gates for Ping.

Transport is another issue altogether...there are more than enough traveling down the main road in the day time though the number is deceptive as have set routes taking off from the Iron Bridge to Lamphun etc.  You do not see many "freelance" or "red"  Songtaews and never really a tuk tuk.....and at night it is pretty much non existent. 

I love it ...but I have transport and it is so quick to just take off, cross one of the bridges and you are away.  Without your own transport or a solid set of reliable and trustworthy  phone numbers for you to call tuk tuks or songtaews direct I would not like your chances after sun down getting out of the area and getting back might be costly.  It is hard enough in the day (though if you can walk down towards Rimping or you will often see the odd tuk tuk and Songtaew).  It generally not an area where tuks tuks or songtaews cruise in daytime...let alone night time.  Even outside the many night life places the first time you will ever see waiting tuk tuks with any certainty is when you get up to the Goodview which is a  hike for you.  You can chance waiting near  Charoen Muang near the bridge and you will probably score a ride.....eventually.....not too nice when its raining or you are insecure or on a time schedule.

If you can fix transport ....to me its ideal.

Edited by mamborobert

Sorry for addition in hindsight,  I presume with the Church you are talking about the Lanna International Church which would have to be a good 500 metres off the main road (though Rat Uhit Soi 3 is about half the distance assuming you have soi number correct).  If so there is pretty much nothing public transport wise that cruises down that way with any regularity day or night.  In the day time you will see the very odd Songtaew taking a quicker back route from the train station or Don Chan to where they want to go to collect fares rather than collect on the way.   Wat Muang Kai is pretty active community wise near there  and have a very popular outdoor aerobics class in the evenings (not sure about rainy season).  Its is an active "working" Wat and has many regular community and religious events.  There are also some very nice places to eat or grab a coffee within walking distance especially when you make your way down Rat Uhit proper towards the train tracks....again though this is a Thai area and Thai focus drink and food wise

That road from the Lanna International Church to the Chiang Mai Lamphun road gets reasonable traffic in the day but it's not really anything that people "walk"...As I recall (as a driver) there is not even any footpath for great chunks of it.  Definitely not lit for a night time walk.

Arranging or obtaining transport is going to be a make or break for you.......

Edited by mamborobert

3 hours ago, mamborobert said:

Transport is another issue altogether...there are more than enough traveling down the main road in the day time though the number is deceptive as have set routes taking off from the Iron Bridge to Lamphun etc.  You do not see many "freelance" or "red"  Songtaews and never really a tuk tuk.....and at night it is pretty much non existent. 

That road from the Lanna International Church to the Chiang Mai Lamphun road gets reasonable traffic in the day but it's not really anything that people "walk"...As I recall (as a driver) there is not even any footpath for great chunks of it.  Definitely not lit for a night time walk.

Check the flooding in the past. This area may be prone to water damage. 

Thank you both for your insights and replies.  Definite food for thought.