Australian DJ jailed for life in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

People always say this, but Singapore has done a pretty effective job of keeping drugs out by decisively shifting the expected cost/payoff balance.  So I believe it can be done, except very few countries have had the resolve.  

I'm not interested in retreading the pros/cons of legalization, but my point is if drug-dealing became a sure death sentence (as is the case there), a vanishingly small number of people would find it worth their while.  I lived in Singapore for 10 years, and for the life of me wouldn't know where to buy drugs there.

Most civilized countries don't have the death penalty as an option. The death penalty seems to be very popular on this forum. A lot even suggest summary execution.  

The problem with death penalties in uncivilized countries (I'd consider Thailand one of them) is how good the judicial process will be to ensure innocents are not executed or that (death penalty) is not applied too liberally. The Australians in this debacle are a good example of how a judicial system has gone way out of control. 

12 hours ago, tropo said:

Most civilized countries don't have the death penalty as an option. The death penalty seems to be very popular on this forum. A lot even suggest summary execution.  

The problem with death penalties in uncivilized countries (I'd consider Thailand one of them) is how good the judicial process will be to ensure innocents are not executed or that (death penalty) is not applied too liberally. The Australians in this debacle are a good example of how a judicial system has gone way out of control. 

I personally suggest that the more developed and civilised a nation / culture happens to be is directly correlated to their sentencing of crimes. Countries that still kill its own citizens are therefore less developed society wise. Capital punishment does not work that is obvious, look at the US where in many states it still kills its own people, and then look at their crime / murder rate. A government cannot expect its people not to kill on another whilst killing its own people to set an example

1 hour ago, JustNo said:

I personally suggest that the more developed and civilised a nation / culture happens to be is directly correlated to their sentencing of crimes. Countries that still kill its own citizens are therefore less developed society wise. Capital punishment does not work that is obvious, look at the US where in many states it still kills its own people, and then look at their crime / murder rate. A government cannot expect its people not to kill on another whilst killing its own people to set an example

Japan in some ways is probably the most advanced large economy in the World and still (rarely) executes people.

It is partly due to advances in DNA technology, but I think many US states have gone away from the death penalty, partly because they realised how many innocent people have been executed over the years

Edited by Andrew65

14 hours ago, tropo said:

Summary execution  could be a form of euthanasia for some on this forum.......DINOSAURS!:)

23 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

It'll be interesting to see if the amount of people using goes up in the parts of the USA where cannabis has been legalised, also, what effect is seen generally.

I'm not sure how the number of users would be quantified in those places where cannabis is now legal. I'm guessing that previously the stats would have been based on the number of people caught in possession - since that is no longer an option, how would you measure it?

Statistics can be very misleading - let's say for example that they conducted a survey in one of the places in the USA where cannabis has been legalized and they stopped random people on the street to ask them whether they used cannabis or not. And let's say they had conducted a similar survey 10 years ago. No doubt the result of the survey now would show a significant increase in the number of users... and the outcome of the survey could feasibly be used to argue the case against legalization, on the grounds that it is the cause of the increase in user numbers. The reality is that people will always be reluctant to admit to partaking in illegal activities because they fear the potential repercussions of admitting to being a law-breaker, so when surveyed, some users will deny being a user. Only once you legalize it will you start to receive honest answers in any such survey.

It won't be long before some politicians in the USA start spouting stats from surveys such as these as being absolute proof that the legalization of a controlled substance significantly increases the number of users, according to a survey carried out by "xxx" (insert the name of any highly respected and trusted entities who conduct such surveys...). It's true that the numbers don't lie - the lies are all contained within the analysis and interpretation of the numbers.

I'm not sure how the number of users would be quantified in those places where cannabis is now legal. I'm guessing that previously the stats would have been based on the number of people caught in possession - since that is no longer an option, how would you measure it?

Statistics can be very misleading - let's say for example that they conducted a survey in one of the places in the USA where cannabis has been legalized and they stopped random people on the street to ask them whether they used cannabis or not. And let's say they had conducted a similar survey 10 years ago. No doubt the result of the survey now would show a significant increase in the number of users... and the outcome of the survey could feasibly be used to argue the case against legalization, on the grounds that it is the cause of the increase in user numbers. The reality is that people will always be reluctant to admit to partaking in illegal activities because they fear the potential repercussions of admitting to being a law-breaker, so when surveyed, some users will deny being a user. Only once you legalize it will you start to receive honest answers in any such survey.

It won't be long before some politicians in the USA start spouting stats from surveys such as these as being absolute proof that the legalization of a controlled substance significantly increases the number of users, according to a survey carried out by "xxx" (insert the name of any highly respected and trusted entities who conduct such surveys...). It's true that the numbers don't lie - the lies are all contained within the analysis and interpretation of the numbers.

Portugal’s Example: What Happened After It Decriminalized All Drugs, From Weed to Heroin

https://news.vice.com/article/ungass-portugal-what-happened-after-decriminalization-drugs-weed-to-heroin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, PattayaBoy said:

Portugal’s Example: What Happened After It Decriminalized All Drugs, From Weed to Heroin

https://news.vice.com/article/ungass-portugal-what-happened-after-decriminalization-drugs-weed-to-heroin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This is a very real 'experiment' for the rest of the world to look at and realise that decriminalising drugs will not cause a huge increase in people using substances, and in fact will work for the better. The old farts and people who have a skewed few of sheer ignorance due to maybe losing someone close to them because of drugs should wake up and smell the coffee. Drugs are everywhere and the war on drugs has nothing to do with governments caring about you health, it is about greed, finance and control. Seeing as drugs are everywhere at least make them safer for people to do and have systems set in place to help people who are being negatively effected by drugs. That, to me at least, seems totally logical 

On September 12, 2559 BE at 11:04 AM, Andrew65 said:

Japan in some ways is probably the most advanced large economy in the World and still (rarely) executes people.

It is partly due to advances in DNA technology, but I think many US states have gone away from the death penalty, partly because they realised how many innocent people have been executed over the years

When I said the more advanced a society / nation is, the less they will use capital punishment, I did not mean advanced in technological terms. I was pointing more to being socially advanced, how they live among each other in a civilised manner. Japan is very rigid and cold, sure they are organised but if you have been there for any length of time, there is often a cold non-compassionate feeling within its society. Their culture is also  fairly perverted lol, just check their gameshows! 

Yes DNA has helped some states and some people move away from it, but it has not had that effect across the whole country. One state (I forget which) could not get a hold of the drugs needed for lethal injections, so were sourcing dodgy substances which caused various bodged executions. They were going to consider reinstating the firing squad! And if you talk to many Americans they will be all for hanging people not only for murder and rape, but for the production and sale of substances and other lesser crimes. The thirst for blood is more ingrained into the culture there, still. Lets not forget the American culture is still in its infancy compared to Europe, then again so is Australia but they seemed to have matured faster lol

Edited by JustNo

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:55 PM, gk10002000 said:

My mistake.  The other pills he had.  Same question.  How much money is involved?  Looks like a poor risk reward ratio.

So the story is the other guy Lance was caught with 200 pills.  The police then go to the where the DJ was staying which was his Thai Girlfriend's flat and find another 61 pills in the apartment.  The Thai girl seems to not get any penalty although since not really mentioned can't be sure.  How did the Thai GF make a living?  No possibility she was drug connected and supplied the two guys?   The DJ seems to get 61 + the 200 found on the other guy associated with him.  I am guessing that the guy with the 200 said he himself was just the small dealer and that the DJ was the big pusher?  Can't or didn't either of them come forward with where they got the drugs from so the police could maybe go after some bigger fish?  Of course if the local police or the Thai GF are in on the protection that could be a bad strategy.  Anyway, it was a foolish idea to think that one is going to make a decent living as a DJ over there so the whole thing was off to a bad start.  If you want to spend a lot of Thailand, great, go for it, it's wonderful place, but do some reality checks first.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:39 AM, cms22 said:

What staggeringly ridiculous and shameful sentences. I say this with first-hand knowledge of the light sentences the courts hand out to poor low-life Thais who deal in amphetamines/ecstasy. The weight of these sentences is only because they are foreign. I know Thais (they are not my friends but I know of them) who regularly deal and who occasionally get banged up and then are out again in a few months. The difference in sentences between these two sets of people is astonishing.

So how did the DJ get associated with the pills?  wasn't he sitting in his Thai Girl Friend's apartment when the police came?  Were the pills found on him or in the apartment? What happened to the Thai girl friend?  Was she supplying them the drugs and has police protection?  The whole thing seems so off.

On 9/7/2016 at 9:18 AM, rwdrwdrwd said:

I grew up in the UK in the 80s and was a teenager in the 90s - MDMA is neither addictive, nor 'hard', it simply needs to be treated responsibly.

As a parent, I'm perfectly happy for my kid to take he when he gets older, as I did and much of my generation did when I was younger. Not in this country though, it's unfortunately backward in terms of drug legislation.

I'd far prefer my son to be taking ecstasy as a teenager than for him to be binge drinking like most kids do.

I wouldnt bother entering any of the Father of the Year awards.

On 9/7/2016 at 9:50 AM, kmj said:

I wonder at what point did they think "Hmm maybe it's not such a good idea to deal drugs in a country like Thailand" ?

I'm guessing not long after they were caught... obviously not before they started dealing.

This is not the first time the guy has dealt, been doing for a long time, and that <deleted> ex supposedley army guy too. People are incredibly stupid and skint to do such a crazy thing like this.

1 hour ago, Bernard Flint said:

This is not the first time the guy has dealt, been doing for a long time, and that <deleted> ex supposedley army guy too. People are incredibly stupid and skint to do such a crazy thing like this.

Did you know him? Since you said 'its not the first time the guy has dealt'. Would be interesting to know if thats the case. 

Wonder if his girlfriend worked at '"the gogo bar" where he was the DJ and set him up for a few baht. Wouldn't be a surprise. 

Did you know him? Since you said 'its not the first time the guy has dealt'. Would be interesting to know if thats the case. 

Wonder if his girlfriend worked at '"the gogo bar" where he was the DJ and set him up for a few baht. Wouldn't be a surprise. 

She is a gogo dancer and was not involved.

The police nor the courts have received any baht. Only the lawyer has who allegedly scammed his father out of a few million baht who lied by insisting he would be released.