Australian DJ jailed for life in Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Crazy sentence. This should be a controlled substance: sold officially to those with an interest in it, an informed, personal choice . It would eliminate the criminal element, eradicate impurities and generate tax revenue.

Quit talking sense your giving me a headache. 

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

I grew up in the UK in the 80s and was a teenager in the 90s - MDMA is neither addictive, nor 'hard', it simply needs to be treated responsibly.

As a parent, I'm perfectly happy for my kid to take he when he gets older, as I did and much of my generation did when I was younger. Not in this country though, it's unfortunately backward in terms of drug legislation.

I'd far prefer my son to be taking ecstasy as a teenager than for him to be binge drinking like most kids do.

your stupidity astounds me.

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Naive beyond belief !!  Its classed with Crack, Cocaine and Heroin for a reason

The reason is that legislators are fallible.

Every major study ever done on MDMA shows that it bears a far lower risk of health damage and addiction than any of the other drugs you mention.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

19 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

your stupidity astounds me.

Your inexperience amuses me.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2010/11/drugs_cause_most_harm

I would truthfully prefer my child to be taking a couple of pills at the weekend than drinking to excess. I'd also prefer that they smoke weed to cigarettes.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

5 hours ago, kmj said:

I wonder at what point did they think "Hmm maybe it's not such a good idea to deal drugs in a country like Thailand" ?

I'm guessing not long after they were caught... obviously not before they started dealing.

people are stupid to get into drugs in thailand. the only thing i can think of is they dont know what can happen here. in a country where everything has laws and rules that are mostly ignored they think they would be ok.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Most people indeed grow out of it or use it only scarcely after. I do know that my friends who are now all in their 40's still use it at times once every 2 - 3 months or so. All that scaremongering is fun but reality is different. 

It's  up to you as a individual to decide if you like to use drugs and alcohol, only you can make that decision. If you get caught you have to face the consequences if you think it's worth using and dealing drugs and if caught facing life or death penalty you have made that decision and it should not be blamed on anybody else or any country, look at the US the prison system that is overcrowded with small time drug dealers. Their time don't change them they get out deal again and is back inside after a week. 

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

Cute.  As you know it's legal. Everywhere...

Only because it's a missive industry with a huge lobby. Alcohol cause more social problems worldwide than all other drugs combined!

To issue a youngster two life sentences for having a pocket full of happy pills it's just plain over the top and rediculously unfair. If he had been dealing heroin I would be far less sympathetic. Ecstasy, give me a break!

With time already served I can guarantee you if they released them neither would ever set foot in Thailand EVER again. Lesson learned already.

5 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Crazy sentence. This should be a controlled substance: sold officially to those with an interest in it, an informed, personal choice . It would eliminate the criminal element, eradicate impurities and generate tax revenue.

Always crazy sentences here. 7 years or more ago a young Turkish boy was caught with a handful of the same pills. In his case no one would help him, not even the Turkish embassy. He was promised a reduced sentence of "less than 10 years" if he pleaded guilty, but off course they did not respect the agreement and gave him 20 years. Yes, he was a mule, a boy from a poor family excited by the thought of international travel and a 'free' holiday in Thailand. But what happened in this case (as far as we know) he was set up. Meanwhile the real dealers were on the same plane with large quantities of this drug and they got away because the border police were alterted to the boy. That's how it works. So disgraceful.

I am referencing the US here not because I am anti-US but because: i) they position themselves as the global police force (and so at least if you do as they do the chances are you won't get invaded by them, nor will you get your ass hauled before some kinda tribunal in The Hague...) and so for this reason: ii) they set a standard that many others choose to govern by…

I used to think I was real smart...... and that those old fogeys running things in the US were real stupid... because lil' ol' me had figured out something that they were incapable of... that prohibition does not work. Despite having conducted the largest-scale social experiment known to mankind involving around 100 million people when they outlawed alcohol in the 1920's the US authorities were still unable to figure out that it is not an effective solution... all prohibition succeeds in doing is: sending the industry underground; creating a "forbidden fruit"; creating massive law enforcement costs (fighting the drug war); making it way more profitable for those who are involved in the trade; presenting an opportunity for unscrupulous black marketeers to manufacture their own unregulated products that pose a potential health risk to consumers... then I'd see Gee Dubya on TV looking all goofy and that would confirm my belief... what the heck does that guy know...? he's so far removed from what's really going on at street level... no wonder he thinks prohibition is the answer... no wonder he keeps on throwing more and more money at this obviously unwinnable war on drugs... the guy's a few french fries short of a happy meal...

Then I had what could be described as an epiphany... I saw the light... and it came in the form of a documentary by one of the major US TV networks - NBC or CBS or someone that I figured could be considered a relatively trustworthy source... the documentary was about "El Chapo" Guzman, the leader of one of the Mexican drug cartels who escaped from prison a couple of times... and according to this documentary, it was estimated that at one time El Chapo was responsible for 95% of the cocaine that came into the US...  Uhmmm, did I hear that correctly…??? A 95% market share...??? Of an established and unregulated product…??? Available from multiple sources…??? With no proprietary rights…??? No trademark protection, no copyright protection…? A completely open market and one guy has managed to secure a 95% market share…??? Well then shut the front door…!!!

The penny dropped – you don’t find yourself in that position unless you have got some serious help from the inside. Help that is supporting you and thwarting your competitors. Well waddya know…!!! Them guys ain’t us dumb as they look… and they did learn something from prohibition in the 1920’s… No wonder no-one seems too concerned about the $20 trillion US federal debt. They got it covered… And then there's all that money that they're spending to fight the war on drugs too...

And the US sets a standard that many others chose to follow.

The point being, there can be many different reasons for banning a substance, and they are most certainly not all related to how harmful the substance is considered to be.

It's never as cut and dried as it seems – these guys broke the laws of the land and got hit really hard with the outcome. If the gear wasn’t planted and if the sentences handed down were all within the legally prescribed limits then there ain’t much more to say – they drew the short straw. What I find most disturbing is that the lawyer of the guy who got the massive sentence was advising him to plead not-guilty… What the…??? That sure weren’t no accident.

15 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Your inexperience amuses me.

your assumptions are childish, if your defence to your stupid and irresponsible remarks is that I have no experience when you have no idea as to what experience i have it just confirms my original comment.

1 hour ago, Agent Sumo said:

Ahhh he looks like such a nice boy and he fought for his country too

They should've given him a year. 

NOT

I know lance via his father, have watched lance 'high' trying to break up the table edging around the dance area in a gogo.  Have seen him passed out in a coma with drugged friends who left him on the sidewalk, I helped move him into the recovery position and called his father.  

Have seen Lance over the years deteriorate with substance abuse.  He stashed drugs in a friends gogo bar, without a second thought. people should be aware he where dealing for years.

When Lance was caught handing the drugs over, he tried a get-out........  Told the cops about another farang that had drugs in his room....  cops go and arrest the DJ.  

Dobbing your mates in when there was no need shows his character.

My youngest boy took drugs as well as dealing, family life was hell, it were like walking around with a lit cigarette, whilst soaked in petrol.  You never knew when bad would happen again.

No sympathy, he knew the consequences, but, he had got away with it for years selling to friends and tourists.  Believed he where to smart for the natives.  That was his downfall, trying to sell to Thais.

9 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

your assumptions are childish, if your defence to your stupid and irresponsible remarks is that I have no experience when you have no idea as to what experience i have it just confirms my original comment.

As was your statement that I am 'astoundingly stupid'. As it happens my IQ is around 135 (despite having taken drugs) and my opinion is rationally based upon available evidence as well as personal experience.

For example:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2010/11/drugs_cause_most_harm

I would truthfully prefer my child to be taking a couple of pills at the weekend than drinking to excess. I'd also prefer that they smoke weed to cigarettes.

Because, in both cases, it is less dangerous to his health, and I love him.

So you can take that gratuitous judgmental attitude and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

4 hours ago, epicstuff said:

I can see if someone was supposed to be studying but instead got addicted to the party scene and went out partying to the early hours too often then I might effect there studies  but that hardly is a statement against the drugs themselves more a statement of conflicting priorities or lack of discipline.    You could equally ban video games on your argument.

To many people that are hooked on drugs drop out school. I have seen that with relatives, yes you can say it's their lack of discipline it's easy but deep down I  think people know that drugs in all form can be addictive if used to much or wrong.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Excessive sentence for both men,thats their life over.but if you do the crime,

be prepared to do the time.

regards worgeordie

Not excessive .If they was to expect a lighter sentence then they should have been doing their "CRIMES" in their home country.  

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Excessive sentence for both men,thats their life over.but if you do the crime,

be prepared to do the time.

regards worgeordie

especially when ecstasy kills around 1 in every 100,000 people who use it.. Very harsh sentencing. But then again you I and everyone else is aware of the sentencing in the Kingdom, including the guilty men in this instance. 

6 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

I grew up in the UK in the 80s and was a teenager in the 90s - MDMA is neither addictive, nor 'hard', it simply needs to be treated responsibly.

As a parent, I'm perfectly happy for my kid to take he when he gets older, as I did and much of my generation did when I was younger. Not in this country though, it's unfortunately backward in terms of drug legislation.

I'd far prefer my son to be taking ecstasy as a teenager than for him to be binge drinking like most kids do.

alcohol is way  more dangerous than xtc...  i hope the clown replying at beginning of op thinks about that next time he crawls back into his bed drunk... 

1 minute ago, tmd5855 said:

I know lance via his father, have watched lance 'high' trying to break up the table edging around the dance area in a gogo.  Have seen him passed out in a coma with drugged friends who left him on the sidewalk, I helped move him into the recovery position and called his father.  

Have seen Lance over the years deteriorate with substance abuse.  He stashed drugs in a friends gogo bar, without a second thought. people should be aware he where dealing for years.

When Lance was caught handing the drugs over, he tried a get-out........  Told the cops about another farang that had drugs in his room....  cops go and arrest the DJ.  

Dobbing your mates in when there was no need shows his character.

My youngest boy took drugs as well as dealing, family life was hell, it were like walking around with a lit cigarette, whilst soaked in petrol.  You never knew when bad would happen again.

No sympathy, he knew the consequences, but, he had got away with it for years selling to friends and tourists.  Believed he where to smart for the natives.  That was his downfall, trying to sell to Thais.

Nice post

Makes me question whether the sentence was too harsh after all.

This wasn't some young 'un slinging the odd pill here and there - this appears to have been a hardened dealer who hawked contraband left, right and center. 

Yes, it's a non-violent crime and, if he'd been in Oz, maybe he would've got a slap ont he wrist but he wasn't in Oz, was he? He was in Thailand where he knew the penalties would be severe if he got caught.

1 minute ago, JustNo said:

especially when ecstasy kills around 1 in every 100,000 people who use it.. Very harsh sentencing. But then again you I and everyone else is aware of the sentencing in the Kingdom, including the guilty men in this instance. 

Years ago it was the automatic death sentence here for most any drug crimes.

Wow that is some sentence yet the heir to the Redbull corporation runs down a cop dragging him 100s of metre's until he is dead and is still a free man and when he does finally end up in court he will no doubt get a fine and suspended sentence. I hope after a few years they will get a Royal Pardon !!

BOTTOM LINE NO MATTER HOW YOULOOK AT IT.  iS THAT THE RULES ARE CLEAR.

FOR BOTH THAI AND FARANG.

There is no doubt that he was trafficking and therefor gets the punishment.  Hey he could have been a visitor to Dutarte's  conditions are not harsh, people can visit you and you do not get a 20-50 year sentence.  OOPS I forgot the one little draw back.  It seems tht people die there from lead poisoning. 

Regardless of all this discussion that drugs should be legal and approving their children of using drugs they should not do it a country that have strict laws against foreigners that commit drug related crimes, Thailand is still on the list of the 33 countries in the world that have death penalty for drug charges, out off the 33, 13 have mandatory death penalty for drug charges. So guys use it and let your kids use it but don't be surprised if the person get caught and get a long prison sentence.