gendered/non-gendered language?

nikk1

hi,

I have only just started learning Thai language and I have a question about how to use gender pronouns. Is it correct that generally "chan" is used by females,  and "pom" is used by males?

Is there a neutral way to refer to oneself? I've seen on another forum someone suggested "Rao", and using "ha" instead of "ka" or "krap".

In short, no.  And to do so would sound freakish.

The pronoun used is determined both by gender and relative status.  "Chan" can be used by men, but only in specific circumstances.  A non-Thai person would be ill-advised to attempt to do so.

Actually "chan" ฉัน is gender neutral. However, the usage of it is a bit more complicated. It would have been used only when there is some intimacy between the users. Such as between friends, relatives or husband wife. It's perfectly OK for either male of female to use "chan".

In formal settings however, male should use ผม phom and female ดิฉัน dichan. A female cannot ever use phom nor can a male ever use dichan.

Also, don't use "ha".

When among friends and in informal situations with socio-economic equals, you can also use the pronouns for younger or elder, phii and nong, as pronouns, which are not gender specific pronouns. But Thai being a rather feudal language, it becomes more delicate as you move up the economic class where formality is more honored the higher up you go.  And one can also refer to oneself in the third person by using your name or nickname.

But to be a bit technical, and anal, Thai is not a gendered language in the same sense as say French where all nouns take a gender.

16 hours ago, Mole said:

Actually "chan" ฉัน is gender neutral. However, the usage of it is a bit more complicated. It would have been used only when there is some intimacy between the users. Such as between friends, relatives or husband wife. It's perfectly OK for either male of female to use "chan".

In formal settings however, male should use ผม phom and female ดิฉัน dichan. A female cannot ever use phom nor can a male ever use dichan.

Also, don't use "ha".

I am only at an intermediate level but find that I rarely hear Thais use ผม, ดิฉัน or ฉัน.  Perhaps because it is usually in informal situations but people often refer to themselves using their name instead of a pronoun or use น้อง, พี่, หนู, ป้า  etc