In with Foreign passport, out with Thai, how to

My apologies if this specific question was brought up before, I just couldn't find the answer to this specific question anywhere. I think I have seen something about it long ago, just couldn't find it.

I have looked at the topics and aware of the procedures regarding usage of dual citizen passport when entering and exiting Thailand.

However My wife entered Thailand using a foreign passport, she now have a Thai passport and wishes to put an end to the 90 day thing and extension of stay every year, so question is; she exits with the Thai passport but then her foreign passport has no exit stamp, so she can never use that passport in Thailand again? Or is there a way that she can show the IO both passports and ask them to exit stamp both? 

Edited by AlQaholic

Agree with above post.

Foreign passport HAS to be stamped out.

I just don't know the easiest way to do a border run for this case.

Separate border run seems necessary except she plans a trip anyway within her current permission to stay.

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Agree with above post.

Foreign passport HAS to be stamped out.

I just don't know the easiest way to do a border run for this case.

Separate border run seems necessary except she plans a trip anyway within her current permission to stay.

Actually I should have been more specific.

You can't do the "Passport Swap" (leaving on one passport and re-entering on another) at a land border since Immigration Officers at either Border want to see exit and entry stamps in the same passport.

I know it sounds strange but the only way to do this swap is by leaving via Air.

Patrick

17 hours ago, p_brownstone said:

She should leave Thailand on the same Foreign Passport which she used to enter the Country, NOT the Thai Passport.

On returning, use the new Thai Passport to enter Thailand.

Patrick

The information Patrck provided is correct, including what he specified in his later reply: she is required to leave by plane and re-enter by air. A border run will not do it. Later always exit on the Thai passport, showing the foreign passport in lieu of a required visa if questioned. My children are traveling like this for more than 25 years. 

Basically, she exits from Thailand, even if to a neighboring country with her foriegn passport.

She then returns with her Thai passport.

Using her Thai passport she will not require a visa to enter Thailand legally.

But first she needs to exit Thailand using the foriegn passport to exit and clear her foriegn passport enterance record.

if she came in legally on a foriegn passport they will want her to exit on that foriegn passport to clear her entry record.

To immigration a foriegn entry requires a corresponding foriegn exit.

Once that is done she can then reenter Thailand with her Thai passport.

It all balances out to Thai immiration ....one foriegner in and one foreigner out, whatever their names are on the passports used.

it's the passport numbers that must match coming in and going out.

1 hour ago, mfharrison said:

does this mean a Thai can get an overstay fine and be banned?

----------------

it could happen, in theory at least,  on a foriegn passport.

She has no benefit leaving Thailand using her Thai Passport. She needs to stamp out her Foreign Passport first then re-enter Thai on her Thai Passport. 

But I think you are asking if she can do this both without actually leaving Thailand. To my limited knowledge on that subject I don't think she can without leaving first, but I stand to be corrected here. 

7 hours ago, memkuk said:

The information Patrck provided is correct, including what he specified in his later reply: she is required to leave by plane and re-enter by air. A border run will not do it. Later always exit on the Thai passport, showing the foreign passport in lieu of a required visa if questioned. My children are traveling like this for more than 25 years. 

she not need to leave with play, she can leave at any border, she get an exit stamp in the foreign passport, and enter the other country on her Thai passport or even on Thai ID card, and then she goes back with THai passport or ID card, 

there is no reason to fly, 

How can people here give all the times wrong and stupid advises?

I have a little question about this, my Mrs has a UK passport and has lived in the UK for almost 30 years her thai passport ran out some 15 years ago and she hasn't replaced it. When we were in Thailand in January and February she got her thai id card renewed so when we come back to Thailand in October for good will she be able to exit the UK on her UK passport and then enter Thailand on her thai id or would she need to use her UK passport to enter Thailand?

if your wife enters thailand on her brittish passport then she will be treated as brittish and get 30 days on arrival, happened to a friend of mine a couple years back

and caused her no end of probs,

if she has been travelling back and forth to thailand in the last 15 years on her brittish one and now tries to enter on an expired thai passport  then they will probably want to know why she has not renewed her thai one and again treat her as brittish 

11 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

she not need to leave with play, she can leave at any border, she get an exit stamp in the foreign passport, and enter the other country on her Thai passport or even on Thai ID card, and then she goes back with THai passport or ID card, 

has to be by air, you cannot change passports at a land border crossing

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

Perhaps because we know what we are talking about?

The Passport swap can NOT be done at a Land Border.

Patrick

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

Perhaps because we know what we are talking about?

The Passport swap can NOT be done at a Land Border.

Patrick

Thai people can visit neighboring countries using border pass.

Here is how it works.

1. Use her Thai ID to get a border pass.

2. Stamp out of Thailand using both Foreign passport and border pass. There are separate windows for Non-Thai and Thai so it is possible to queue at both to get stamps for each documents.

3. Enter the neighboring country using border pass.

4. Return to Thailand using border pass. Keep the foreign passport in safe place.

at-the-checkpoint.jpg

Edited by sanmyintmaung

21 hours ago, zd1 said:

I have a little question about this, my Mrs has a UK passport and has lived in the UK for almost 30 years her thai passport ran out some 15 years ago and she hasn't replaced it. When we were in Thailand in January and February she got her thai id card renewed so when we come back to Thailand in October for good will she be able to exit the UK on her UK passport and then enter Thailand on her thai id or would she need to use her UK passport to enter Thailand?

Thais can usually enter Thailand with an expired Thai passport and then renew it in Thailand. I say 'usually' because Thai immigration may not take kindly to a person trying this with one that expired 15 years ago!

If she gets that far. If she checks in using her British passport with just a single ticket, which I assume she would as she is returning to Thailand to live, she may have problems with the airline refusing to carry her.

I suggest that she renews her Thai passport at the RTE in Kensington before travelling.

• Like 2

On 8.9.2016 at 10:14 AM, mfharrison said:

does this mean a Thai can get an overstay fine and be banned?

I know a Thai woman she came to Thailand with a German passport for 2 months, but without visa. As she went back she had t pay the full amount for overstay like foreigners.

Thanks for all the answers, I guess the answer to my question is, if she leaves by air and returns by air, she can use the Thai passport on arrival because at the airport they do not require an exit stamp in her Thai passport?

But as at least one person has mentioned in other related threads they have experienced problem with the officer because no exit stamp in her Thai passport even at the airport when coming back?