Recognise This Fella?

TBWG

Hi All, I am posting this in Isaan section as all where seen in my garden in Satuk today.

Some days snakes are like London buses, you don't see any and then 3 come along together!

First culprit disturbed under large flowerpot, about a foot to 15 inches long ( sorry but I am metrically challenged!)

Flatish rather than round with a stubby tail and fairly aggressive, struck out when I tried to get it onto a shovel to move it to a safe place.

Boss lady seems to reckon it capable of killing everything in a 5 mile radius and most disappointed when I refused to kill it.

No2 In the pond about 3ft 6" - 4Ft in length

Boss lady seems to reckon it capable of killing everything in a 5 mile radius and most disappointed when I refused to kill it. (sound familiar)

No 3 This one was a bit more cagey and could not get a picture of it so my question is are there any Bocourts water snakes in the area ? It certainly looks like the one in my snakes of Thailand book and fits in at about 3ft -3ft 6" in length it is nocturnal according to book but I saw it in the pond early morning.

Boss lady seems to reckon it capable of killing everything in a 15 mile radius and most disappointed when I refused to kill it, always assuming I could of caught it! (sound familiar & paranoid!)

Any input appreciated.

TBWG :o

According to my wife,,,, #1 is a common water snake and usually does not bite, but even if bitten it is not bad... She said her mother got bit last month by one in the village..... #2 she said can make you sick, but you will not die....

I am sorry, but I am on your wife's side... Any snake I see can kill, therefore I will do my best to make sure that it isn't me nor anyone I know...

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

I hate killing anything but if you have small children out exploring as they do...

And always look down where you are walking, thats what makes them bite.

If it makes them bite if we look down why are you recommending we do so? :D

BTW: I don't like killing them either but if you do you should eat it. Venom sack goes in your whiskey, nothing wasted. :o:D

I hate killing anything but if you have small children out exploring as they do...

BTW: I don't like killing them either but if you do you should eat it. Venom sack goes in your whiskey, nothing wasted. :o:D

great if you have ulcers

It looks like it maybe a common water snake (ngoo plaa) to me. As name suggests, it eats small fish and is often caught in fish nets and traps. Usually chucked away by villagers, as its not much of a meal, and a lot of work for not much reward. Pretty harmless fella. For sure, not a cobra.

BTW, how would you remove the venom sack? I thought it was heart and gall bladder which were the best bits to spice up a shot of whiskey. No accounting for taste............

Sorry, I kill the snakes too - in the town here but we still get snakes in the garden trying to eat our fish.

If the snakes are killable I will kill them - not many poisonous ones but most will bite if cornered - young children and stupid dogs need protecting from themselves! You are to be commended for your view that even snakes deserve to live but in the city with other things using the garden it needs a different view.

Nice pics by the way! A snake from our garden fish tank (an empty one - the wife was trying to clean it untill she saw the snake!) went into the trash bin with the days rubbish - minus it's head - was still trying to bite as I put it into the plastic bag my wife was holding!

If someone is bitten by a cobra or any other dangerous snake, does any hospital have anti - venom, or is it bye-bye? :D

Bergen

We have it here and i think all rural area hospitals have it as Cobra is common, we had 2 last cpl weeks,,, both times dog's found then and point them out.

Funny part regarding the dog's happen in on of my friend house, he has 2 dog's, one huge 60Kg Rotweiler and 5Kg Female street dog,,, really small tree snake came to they yard and big bully Rotweiler went there and as soon the snake moves rotweiler was gone,,,but tiny 5Kg Poosh vent there and start to bak the snake and using her palms try to get snake out from the yard to the canal....while the rotweiler was looking from the distance.......

:o:D:D

I wondered where he was now. His name is TJ, he was from the UK living in Bangkok selling electronic wheel balancing machines, but now he has surfaced in Issan ,I guess it was only a matter of time before he appeared again.

He was last seen making a fool of himself around soi 8 in South Pattaya a few years ago.

Dont approach it, especially if you are with your lady ,or he will pretend to real friendly then do your missus behind your back. :o

I wondered where he was now. His name is TJ, he was from the UK living in Bangkok selling electronic wheel balancing machines, but now he has surfaced in Issan ,I guess it was only a matter of time before he appeared again.

He was last seen making a fool of himself around soi 8 in South Pattaya a few years ago.

Dont approach it, especially if you are with your lady ,or he will pretend to real friendly then do your missus behind your back. :o

Still hurts eh ?