No new Yamaha Nouvo (6) available in Thailand

winchester1876

Another non success from Yamaha.  First the Tricity cancelled and now this.  I rented a Nouvo recently and was fairly unimpressed.  I expected a lot more.  The old Honda Airblade was a better bike.  All they had to do was duplicate it and they would have a winner imho.

i have a Nouvo SX and it is a great bike for getting around town; slim and light to filter through the narrowist gap. The only drawback is it is not powerful enough for me. It's pretty hopeless on an incline and i also would like to sprint away from the pack at the lights and open a 200 meter gap.

What i really want is a similar bike with 200cc and ABS. I guess the NMAX fits the bill except 155cc but hopefully Yamaha will do a 200cc version without making it fat and heavy like a Honda Forza.

Just for reference:

Yam Nouvo SX 124cc, 111kgs, 16" wheels, width 705mm

Yam NMAX 155cc, 127kgs, ABS, 13" wheels, width 740mm

Honda PCX 149cc, 132kgs, 14" wheels, width 737mm

Honda Forza  279cc, 192kgs, ABS, 13/14" wheels, width 753mm

• 2 weeks later...

I had an old 2009 Nouvo Elegance 135cc and loved it; nimbler than a PCX but still comfortable and big storage space.

Shame; seems the narrow body automatic with dual rear shocks is destined for extinction.

I feel the designers and accountants at motorcycle companies don't actually ride scooters in heavy traffic and/or only care about big bikes.

If the basic idea of a small and nimble automatic isn't offered to dense populations they will lose their profits to electric bicycles which don't even require a license to ride.

1 hour ago, ttakata said:

I had an old 2009 Nouvo Elegance 135cc and loved it; nimbler than a PCX but still comfortable and big storage space.

Shame; seems the narrow body automatic with dual rear shocks is destined for extinction.

I feel the designers and accountants at motorcycle companies don't actually ride scooters in heavy traffic and/or only care about big bikes.

If the basic idea of a small and nimble automatic isn't offered to dense populations they will lose their profits to electric bicycles which don't even require a license to ride.

Totally agree. Something like the NMax is a step in the right direction (aesthetics aside) with low weight and ABS but could do with a little more power. Looking at the XMax Euro specs, it is good power but is a fat pig for a 250cc.

Yamaha XMAX 249cc, 182kgs, ABS, 15/14" wheels, width 790mm

Obviously aimed at the 'executive' market for cruising around in Europe rather than filtering through traffic in Asia

Power wise the XMax has 15 Kw (21 Nm), the NMax 11 Kw (14.4 Nm), the Nouvo SX 7.8 Kw (10.5 Nm) and the PCX150 9.8 Kw (13.1 Nm).

Throw a 70 kg rider on those 4 and you get a power-to-weight ratio of:

XMax 59 Watts/kg

NMax 55 Watts/kg

SX      43 Watts/kg

PCX   48 Watts/kg

For me the NMax comes out on top, but a 200cc motor without getting too much weight would be great!  A pity the SX didn't get the Euro spec 125cc as it puts out 9.2 Kw which would put the P2W @ 50 Watts/kg

• 1 month later...