Julian Assange criticises timing of Swedish news conference

webfact

9 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Yes, it has been answered.  With a link saying the US will not extradite him.  Again, so why not go?

That link seems to have disappeared, but I read it when it was still visible, and it said something in the line of "there is a fat chance that they wont ask for his extradition", which is a whole different thing from they will not.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

I already have - its in my post (number 43), I said :

"Assange has reportedly refused to go to Sweden because the Swedish Government will not guarantee that he will not be extradited from there to the USA. They (the Swedes) cannot make this guarantee if the decision is ultimately made in the courts."

Right.... And you're still wondering why he doesn't want to go back to sweden?

55555.... Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees.

Edited by HappyDazed

5 minutes ago, JAG said:

I already have - its in my post (number 43), I said :

"Assange has reportedly refused to go to Sweden because the Swedish Government will not guarantee that he will not be extradited from there to the USA. They (the Swedes) cannot make this guarantee if the decision is ultimately made in the courts."

The US extradition possibility is not related to a rape conviction.

Edited by Anthony5

3 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

That link seems to have disappeared, but I read it when it was still visible, and it said something in the line of "there is a fat chance that they wont ask for his extradition", which is a whole different thing from they will not.

Agreed.  But either way, he has a legal extradition request from Sweden.  He's just using the other issue to avoid going back.  Is he guilty?  Seems so.

25 minutes ago, JAG said:

I don't know the details, if you want to know yourself I'm sure that they could be found on the net if you are prepared to search.

I already know the details, so I know it would never fly in a uk court in a million years.

How you can think you're opinion holds any value when you've not even bothered your arse to research what is being alleged...it's simply silly!

Edited by HappyDazed

10 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Agreed.  But either way, he has a legal extradition request from Sweden.  He's just using the other issue to avoid going back.  Is he guilty?  Seems so.

Right... So you agree now that no guarantee has been offered, but you are just going to step over that and say he must still be guilty 5555555

What is he guilty of exactly, please provide specific details of what is being alleged?

Edited by HappyDazed

17 minutes ago, HappyDazed said:

I already know the details, so I know it would never fly in a uk court in a million years.

How you can think you're opinion holds any value when you've not even bothered your arse to research what is being alleged...it's simply silly!

OK, explain why it would "never fly in a UK court" then.

In my mind he loses all credibility every time he speaks and doesn't even mention the rape charges against him. He should have addressed them years ago. I'm baffled by the UN ruling that he's being 'unlawfully detained', he's free to go anytime and he should. 

31 minutes ago, HappyDazed said:

Right... So you agree now that no guarantee has been offered, but you are just going to step over that and say he must still be guilty 5555555

What is he guilty of exactly, please provide specific details of what is being alleged?

Perhaps you should read this link which summarizes the status of his legal issues with both the UK and Sweden.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-19426382

Note that the UK High Court has already ruled he should be sent to Sweden for questioning. 

Also note that the US has no charges pending against Assange at this time. There is serous doubt Sweden would extradite him anyway has his only possible crime would be receiving classified material (he cannot be charged with treason as he is not a US citizen ). Swedish courts would struggle to not find the US request political.

In my opinion this was a way for Assange to have a safe place to stay and become martyr for his cause.

TH 

1 hour ago, HappyDazed said:

If not, then why have the swedish goverment refused numerous times to guarantee he would not be extradicted to the US?

Assange has said he would return to Sweden if they could provide this guarantee....so how do you explain their refusal to do so?

Maybe because the US could request his extradition? Such a request would mean the Swedes would have to assess the request, and if all legal and a crime has probably been committed, honoured.

Sweden can't guarantee that won't happen.

Assange is Putin's buddy which means he's screwed for being Assange and screwed for being Putin's operative.

Double screwed plus the enemy of the United States and its Constitution and political system.

The guy is really screwed for life. Couldn't happen to nicer guyz.

10 hours ago, sgtsabai said:

The "rape" charges are directly linked to the US. There are no "rape" charges. The charges were not even filed, oops, the request for questioning was not even filed until he was cleared and left the country. He has always said he would be questioned in England. His fear, a very legitimate one, is extradition and disappearance in the US. When Sweden wiould not guarantee no extradition to the US that is a clear signal that he will be extradited to the US. A federal grand jury sat on whether to indict him or not and the US has never truly revealed the outcome, many believe there is a warrant for his arrest. The US is not to be believed in any case. Sweden has been complicit in helping the US with rendition and one of the women had ties to the CIA. Please, do some research on why he has taken refuge in the Embassy. Ahem, last time I checked, consensual sex was not considered rape. Regardless of the outcome, he will have a target on his back for as long as he manages to live. I hope he lives a long time and he continues his good work.

How can the Swedish government guarantee not to extradite Assange to the US when there are no charges against him in the US, much less an extradition request? 

Any future extradition request to Sweden by the US would have to be decided by the Swedish courts based on the merits of the specific request. There is no legal way the Swedish government can make a guarantee about  on how the Swedish courts (a separate government entity ) will rule on a unspecified future action by the US. Thinking otherwise is just being ridiculous and engaging in hysterical hyperbole. 

Not using a condom when requested is considered a form of sexual assault in Sweden. 

Both woman, unnamed as of yet, are thought to have been Wikileaks volunteers at the time. 

Assange had some good idealistic values. It appears his personality issues, on several levels, have gotten in the way of carrying them out.

TH 

The whole saga has been an obvious farce.

The UK agreeing to extradite Assange (even though the allegations wouldn't constitute charges in the UK) is just one of the ways its obvious that this has nothing to do with any allegations - its all about 'the powers that be' being very angry that his organisation told the public things they never wanted the public to know.

But pointing this out is off-topic, and so I'm wondering what was said in the Swedish press conference that annoyed the Assange team so badly?

25 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The whole saga has been an obvious farce.

The UK agreeing to extradite Assange (even though the allegations wouldn't constitute charges in the UK) is just one of the ways its obvious that this has nothing to do with any allegations - its all about 'the powers that be' being very angry that his organisation told the public things they never wanted the public to know.

But pointing this out is off-topic, and so I'm wondering what was said in the Swedish press conference that annoyed the Assange team so badly?

So you claim to know more about UK extradition then the UK High Court that ruled Assange should be returned to Sweden for questioning? 

TH 

32 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

What annoyed the team was a request by a government to appear before a court to answer questions pertaining to a potential violation of their laws.  Crazy request, eh? :rolleyes: