British driver in collision on the Dark Side, Pattaya. Biker killed

webfact

British driver in collision on the Dark Side. Biker killed

Report by Pattaya One News Team

pat11.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 9pm, on the evening of September 7, Nongprue police were informed of a collision between a motorcycle and a pick-up truck close to the Mabprachan Reservoir, Pattaya.

At the scene medics removed the body of a man aged between twenty and twenty-five years of age who was carrying some cash but no identity cards. His black Yamaha Nuvo was lying in the road and was almost broken in half, such was the severity of the impact.

The pick-up driver, Mr George Hensher, a seventy-six-year old British national, said that he was on his way home along the reservoir road, which was badly lit, when a man smashed into the side of his truck.

He didn’t see anything at all prior to the impact. Neighbours later said that the area is not only an accident black spot, because of the lack of lighting, but it is also an area that experiences a lot of robbery and bag snatching, for the same reasons.

Source: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/231421/british-driver-collision-dark-side-biker-killed/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-09-08

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only just over a week ago there was another instance of an older farang driver being involved in an accident in which a Thai (being on a motorbike) lost his life. Also in the Pattaya area: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/940572-80-year-old-british-driver-crashes-into-lighthouse-chef/

My 70 year old American friend gave up driving because he said his eyesight and reflexes were not what they used to be and he'd had too many close calls (plus backing up into a bus that he'd somehow failed to notice). I know everyone is different, but age takes its toll on all of us, so perhaps this plays a factor. I wonder if in Thailand there's some sort of compulsory regular testing of driving skills once you get past a certain age (I doubt it); they had this in Canada and my father dreaded it, but could see the reason for it also.

p.s. I'm not saying that the Brit drivers were responsible in either of these two cases, but it is a possibility, and age-as-a-factor is also a possibility

Edited by Docno

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Dark side literally.

Yes, just one of the 50 or so dead motorbike riders daily in Thailand.

The 49 others rarely make a headline.

True but we don't know who's at fault here. I know that area an it can be a rat run for all. 

But end of the day which one woz drunk. Usually the answer.

"Why cost money cos someone ran into him?

I would imagine its easy to see who is to blame if the truck was hit from the side."

That doesn't mean much in Thailand, when the driver is a foreigner, family will demand financial compensation. A guy I knew was driving south on Soi Buakaow at night and intended to turn left. A Thai man on a motorbike, no lights, on the wrong side of the road, no helmet and driving fast ran into him. The Thai guy was killed and subsequently found to be drunk.

The family wanted 500,000 baht, but insurance only covered to 200,000 so the police were 'handling' negotiations. They certainly never told the family that the dead man was at fault and no money was due.  I never heard the outcome as I was off to Philippines. 

13 minutes ago, Docno said:

Only just over a week ago there was another instance of an older farang driver being involved in an accident in which a Thai (being on a motorbike) lost his life. Also in the Pattaya area: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/940572-80-year-old-british-driver-crashes-into-lighthouse-chef/

My 70 year old American friend gave up driving because he said his eyesight and reflexes were not what they used to be and he'd had too many close calls (plus backing up into a bus that he'd somehow failed to notice). I know everyone is different, but age takes its toll on all of us, so perhaps this plays a factor. I wonder if in Thailand there's some sort of compulsory regular testing of driving skills once you get past a certain age (I doubt it); they had this in Canada and my father dreaded it, but could see the reason for it also.

p.s. I'm not saying that the Brit drivers were responsible in either of these two cases, but it is a possibility, and age-as-a-factor is also a possibility

" My 70 year old American friend gave up driving because he said his eyesight and reflexes were not what they used to be  "

Yes, I did  likewise. I have an excellent Thai driver now. 

Of course for many farang refusing to admit loss of driving skills and saving face is more important than the potential death and destruction they might cause. 

Edited by Suradit69

11 minutes ago, justaphase said:

Why cost money cos someone ran into him?

I would imagine its easy to see who is to blame if the truck was hit from the side.

very funny rules regarding insurance....A bike hits a car...the car takes the blame almost every time....the car will probably have insurance the bike less likely...so the car insurance has more chance of paying out any claim..strange but true...........A English friend of mine let his thai brother in law drive his car...the thai brother in law hit a motor bike which was at fault...the bike pulled out in front of the car...no lights on the bike...the bike driver was drunk......the bike driver died......the family of the dead bike rider wanted 1million baht of my friend as it was his car...True It was his car...but he wasnt driving the car and he wasnt even in the car....he refused to pay anything over and above what the insurance was willing to pay out....and the police held on to my friends car for 4 months hoping this would force him to pay out..which he never did...

4 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the guy i know that killed a girl had to pay 200k for the family and 50k for the cops. he almost killed himself crashing his pickup near where this accident happened. he should have gone to jail but money talks and murdering drink drivers walk.

Yes, money always talks.

Not sure if this guy was drunk or not ? And not sure who's fault it was. Only one side of story, now.

But police everywhere, get money.

10 minutes ago, mattpatt said:

Whoever is at fault, it doesn't look like the bike rider had a helmet on. That's what probably killed him.

In such case I doubt it would have saved him:

His black Yamaha Nuvo was lying in the road and was almost broken in half, such was the severity of the impact.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, bark said:

100,000 baht. I would guess.

A few years ago, a taxi driver told me that even though he was not at fault for the death of a motorcyclist, he filed documents as required by the police and paid Baht 30,000 (presumably for the deceased's funeral rite).

38 minutes ago, Docno said:

You should stop yaba, it's said " when a man smashed into the side of his truck. "

34 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The report is so sparse that I didn't want to speculate on the question of whose fault it was.

If the pickup has a class 1 insurance they will pay (if not drunk driving).

and as long as he has a Thai driving license.....or his UK license with a valid international one year license......without this the car insuranse will be Void...

2 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

You should stop yaba, it's said " when a man smashed into the side of his truck. "

Fully aware of that...  We don't know what move the truck driver may have pulled prior to the crash. Neither you nor I are police investigators on the scene.

48 minutes ago, Docno said:

I wonder if in Thailand there's some sort of compulsory regular testing of driving skills once you get past a certain age (I doubt it); they had this in Canada and my father dreaded it, but could see the reason for it also.

You have to renew your license every five years now, including a reaction and vision test.

This does not apply for Thais or expats that got their license over 12 years ago, they have one for life.

10 minutes ago, kuhske said:

A few years ago, a taxi driver told me that even though he was not at fault for the death of a motorcyclist, he filed documents as required by the police and paid Baht 30,000 (presumably for the deceased's funeral rite).

A Thai friend of mine, told me always the cars or trucks fault. Bigger size.