cheapskatesam

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

I've been reading up on these rice cookers.. apparently soaking the rice in water the night before massively reduces the cooking time needed, thus saving electricity.

Little nuggets of information like this can literally save you hundreds over the course of a lifetime. And all these "little victories" add up.

I'm not sure about the noodles, they're rather expensive for what they are.. i would need 2 packets from 7/11 to fill me up or even touch the sides.

Please share

I don't think I'd soak rice. Awfully easy to produce glue. The cookers are (say) 700W for 15 minutes. At 7 baht a kwh you're talking about just over a baht for the whole cycle. Is it really worth the hassle? 

The almost clear noodles that cook in seconds are dirt cheap in Tesco. The packets of ramen noodles - which might be a little more difficult to soften - are ten packets for 40 baht. 7/11 is markedly more expensive for almost everything. Let's face it, they must have one hell of an electricity bill. 

8 hours ago, Bung said:

Anyone stumbling onto this thread may think some world wide Armageddon has struck.  Reminds me a bit of that movie where Matt Damon was stuck on Mars. 

BTW,  I know a great trick how to get a new rice cooker absolutely free! 

If you shop around they will give you a rice cooker FREE when you buy a fridge,  washing machine etc. 

On 9/10/2016 at 0:11 AM, cheapskatesam said:

Any more thifty tips for a cheapskate farang such as myself? I'm 70% sure i'll be going to khon kaen.. is there anywhere cheaper than there that might sway my mind?

Whats the cheapest way to get safe water to drink? 

I will let you live at my house if you sit quietly at my feet and make sure we have fresh rice before I wake up.

On 9/12/2016 at 11:36 PM, cheapskatesam said:

I've been reading up on these rice cookers.. apparently soaking the rice in water the night before massively reduces the cooking time needed, thus saving electricity.

Little nuggets of information like this can literally save you hundreds over the course of a lifetime. And all these "little victories" add up.

I'm not sure about the noodles, they're rather expensive for what they are.. i would need 2 packets from 7/11 to fill me up or even touch the sides.

You should contact returnofthailand. he wins so much you would cry.