British pension hasn't arrived today

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes there is, but don't worry, your bird may still appear.....:lol:

If I were you, mate, I'd shackle the wife to the gatepost until that pension arrives.

From what I'm told, standard grace time for a late stipend is 3 days - weekends included.

After that, you'll have trouble locating her :lol:

Edited by Agent Sumo
14 hours ago, soalbundy said:

yes i know,at the moment that is my one hope that the public holdays really do cause a one day delay but i have never experienced it, anybody?

A transfer from my bank in USA to Bangkok bank was delayed due to the Labor Day Holiday on Monday the 5th.

Proof of existence? just email a pic of your dickie......

No but seriously, they need to upgrade, even Paypal and my Thai bank accepts a code by SMS to verify I exist.

jeeezz....the stupidity of govt. bureaucracy....

Edited by AlQaholic
2 hours ago, Agent Sumo said:

Oh fer cryin' out loud - isn't there a full-on Thaivisa sub-forum for people to bitch about British pensions?

Nobody is forcing to to read the posts. If you don't like them, then don't read them.

Why not start your own thread on UK pensions?

You seem to be the one bitching at the moment.

2 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

So everybody is complaining about what you call the " Nanny States"

Let me tell you it is not that bad over here

My pension is 26.789 baht per fortnight  take off

6406 for rent

1335 electric

1600 food

1067 phone/ internet

1067 car and  petrol

2135 drinks etc.  

you work out how much I got left:)

You have that much spare every 2 weeks.

Ain't you the rich guy.

On 9/8/2016 at 3:12 PM, soalbundy said:

Mine always arrived on the dot, every 28 days. The reason i am a little worried is that last month i had to fill out a proof of existence form which i did and sent off but not as usual by registered post as in their letter they asked for it not to be registered. Knowing the Thai post as i do i think this was a mistake but i presume the stamping and signing for delivery of a registered post letter was a heavy work load they could do without. On their home page they write that a public holiday in America can cause a delay and there was one on the 5th which is in the same week as the 8th. I shall have to see tomorrow, they are such a pain to contact. 

Too bad about the heavy workload,register it.

15 hours ago, Patanawet said:

Justin is quite right about Citibabank. Any bank holiday in U.K. or U.S.A. results in a day or two delay.

The proof of life form seems to have been sent to EVERYONE this year.

A friend in the U.K. called them for me to query who could sign the form for you (interesting to see that it included publicans) was told that they'd increased the time for reply from 8 weeks to 16 from the date of the letter.

They told me about changing to 16 weeks as well.

The irony of all this is that I read on TVF about masses of Expats receiving the Proof of Life and I have never had one. I decided to email the office with a casual enquiry, only to be told that it HAD been sent to me in June. It has still not arrived!! However, they sent the form attached to their email, but insisted that I sent back a paper copy. I sent it via EMS and tracked delivery 4 days later. 16 days after the delivery date I got another email from the UK telling me it had arrived and been processed. Email is not a recommended form of communication it something is urgent!

15 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why worry if your pension is a few days late.

Mine was due friday last week, but only went in on tuesday no big deal.

I know from experience that the smallest of delay's is a harbinger of a disaster, it would be OK if they were easy to contact but they aren't, E-mails take two weeks to get an answer and on the phone you get bull after listening to 'please hold the line ' for 10 minuets

3 hours ago, JustinCredible said:

They told me about changing to 16 weeks as well.

The irony of all this is that I read on TVF about masses of Expats receiving the Proof of Life and I have never had one. I decided to email the office with a casual enquiry, only to be told that it HAD been sent to me in June. It has still not arrived!! However, they sent the form attached to their email, but insisted that I sent back a paper copy. I sent it via EMS and tracked delivery 4 days later. 16 days after the delivery date I got another email from the UK telling me it had arrived and been processed. Email is not a recommended form of communication it something is urgent!

The change to 16 weeks could be down to me and others. Some of us were picked out for a survey, it was quite detailed and i had a lot of E-mail exchanges, one of my grievances was the short time we had to reply to proof of existence forms given the inefficiency of the Thai post. Another was why they don't send E-mails to everyone instead of using the post ( it must be possible to build up a data base of E-mail addresses for expats ) They even went so far as to set up a Skype conference for us which i declined as it was starting to be a full time job but it shows that they are trying hard, however they do like their letters which must be costly compared to E-mails, one click of a button,send to all and we all get a standard form to download.

On 9/9/2016 at 1:55 AM, soalbundy said:

yes, but i had planned this money for the dentist, my wife is in pain and an appointment has been made. My German pension has been spent on food and bills,especially the kids health insurance,all three of them were due on the first

are things really that financially tight

4 minutes ago, transam said:

In my house they are, but we smile and get bye same as Thai folk do....:)

what happens when you have to do your yearly extension and have to show savings? I am coming to live there in 2 years when I will be 54 and bringing about £200,000, and people are telling me I dont have enough to retire there.

1 minute ago, brianj1964 said:

what happens when you have to do your yearly extension and have to show savings? I am coming to live there in 2 years when I will be 54 and bringing about £200,000, and people are telling me I dont have enough to retire there.

At your age you may have a problem...:(

1 minute ago, brianj1964 said:

I dont see how, may i quote you? "we just smile and get by like thai folks do"  most thai probably get by on 10,000 baht a month,  the interest on my savings is that amount..

only bad health would put a spanner in the works.

I thought that stuff too.....Didn't work....BUT, if you want to live a life like poorer Thai folk do, then you will be OK. Perhaps tell all about your future life thoughts...

On 9/9/2016 at 5:26 PM, emilymat said:

Ironic isn't it. If there is a Sat/Sun or a public holiday on the day my private pension is paid into the bank, then it is paid the day or two days before.

Governments can't do that though can they?.

You would think there are dozens ofclerks, with quill pens, entering your bank details each month, so they can't do it on a bank holiday.

I always thought my pension was generated by a computer.

Yes they do. My state pension is due on a Friday and it was due on 26th August. I received it on Thursday 25th August because of the UK bank holiday on the 29th.

16 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

I dont see how, may i quote you? "we just smile and get by like thai folks do"  most thai probably get by on 10,000 baht a month,  the interest on my savings is that amount..

only bad health would put a spanner in the works.

We own our house and transport, don't owe a penny and I have a pension now, and for sure we could not survive on 10,000bht per month.

Your state pension will start in 14 years time, so your 200,000 must last till then. I am positive you will not survive on 10,000bht a month, especially if you have to pay rent or transport costs. Your cash will deplete as you use it and so your 10,000bht will deplete.

I came here at the age of 57 and I was getting 70bht to the pound with my wad, then the pound crashed for years and took out a huge part of that wad as the pound did not recover, thankfully l got my pension at 65..

2 hours ago, transam said:

We own our house and transport, don't owe a penny and I have a pension now, and for sure we could not survive on 10,000bht per month.

Your state pension will start in 14 years time, so your 200,000 must last till then. I am positive you will not survive on 10,000bht a month, especially if you have to pay rent or transport costs. Your cash will deplete as you use it and so your 10,000bht will deplete.

I came here at the age of 57 and I was getting 70bht to the pound with my wad, then the pound crashed for years and took out a huge part of that wad as the pound did not recover, thankfully l got my pension at 65..

I am there and have done that. the current Forex rate is just a little more than I was getting when I first came here in 1993.

• 2 weeks later...