New Marriage Visa Renewal Requirement

hougourou

Yesterday, when getting my coveted queue number at  7am, the official informed me that it is now necessary to provide a "bay laplong thii yuu" or proof of residence certificate.  I initally thought it was the same document required for drivers licenses (which takes a few days and is done at Promenada, which would have made my appointment queue for that day worthless).  No, this is a different form, which is done  in another building at the back of the compound.  Here, three amiable fellows fined my wife 1600 Baht (yes, we got a receipt) for failing to report that I live in "her" house.  Sort of like what hotels and guesthouses must do, although my stay has lasted about 20 years.  I got  the bottom third of the form, with a very official red stamp on it, stapled in my passport.  Seemed a bit much, but I was hardly in an arguing mood, just wanted to get the visa and go home, which I did.

I think it's time to get the yellow tabian baan, apparently not difficult.

I think you are referring to the TM 30 form. It has been a requirement for quite a while now. I don't think it's anything to do with a marriage extension as such. Any Thai national that has a foreigner staying in their house is required to fill in the form and submit it to immigration. It's their responsibility, not yours.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

11 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I think you are referring to the TM 30 form. It has been a requirement for quite a while now. I don't think it's anything to do with a marriage extension as such. Any Thai national that has a foreigner staying in their house is required to fill in the form and submit it to immigration. It's their responsibility, not yours.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, that's the one . I guess it's only related to the visa extension in that it was required to be produced to get the visa.  I've never been asked for it before.  They also told me I/my wife need to report back after returning from a trip abroad to avoid the fine. Hmm,  wonder if  I should tell my wife she owes me the 1600....

3 hours ago, hougourou said:

Yes, that's the one . I guess it's only related to the visa extension in that it was required to be produced to get the visa.  I've never been asked for it before.  They also told me I/my wife need to report back after returning from a trip abroad to avoid the fine. Hmm,  wonder if  I should tell my wife she owes me the 1600....

why should you pay it? she should be aware of the laws.

20 minutes ago, Oscar2 said:

why should you pay it? she should be aware of the laws.

Unless she works at a hotel front desk most Thai would have no idea of them being subject to any such law.  And even then most would not equate it to private home.  Not only is not not public knowledge it has never been enforced more than selectively.  

Edited by lopburi3

This has been a requirement for several years but they seem to go through spates of bashing people for a good few Baht from time to time.  No doubt there was a shortage of tea money this week !     I would suggest getting a yellow Tabian Baan to anyone that lives here full time as it solves many problems despite what the knockers say.   It is supposed to be free but you are expected to cough up 500 Baht for the tea caddy.

Theoretical question....I stay up to 6 months, at times, (tourist visa) in the house I physically built and known to have built by the whole village. The land it sits on is held in common by the family of 5 individual households and originated legaly under the old Thai 'clear the land squatter rights'. No one in the families wants to pay to upgrade the legal status...as it is expensive and no one is going to sell or go anywhere for long. I do not have a landlord. Just welcome to live in the house I built. A Thai ex wife, divorced years ago, who does not live in Thailand, who also has no 'legal title, but pleased for me to maintain 'our' house. The original title holder is long dead and the inheritor is near 90 (the old Mom) and not mobile enough to be inconvenience. The 'title' of the land will probably go to all the family when the old Mom passes. I expect that if I ever bother with a retirement visa....this will be problematic.  Suggestions?

7 hours ago, Teak said:

Theoretical question....I stay up to 6 months, at times, (tourist visa) in the house I physically built and known to have built by the whole village. The land it sits on is held in common by the family of 5 individual households and originated legaly under the old Thai 'clear the land squatter rights'. No one in the families wants to pay to upgrade the legal status...as it is expensive and no one is going to sell or go anywhere for long. I do not have a landlord. Just welcome to live in the house I built. A Thai ex wife, divorced years ago, who does not live in Thailand, who also has no 'legal title, but pleased for me to maintain 'our' house. The original title holder is long dead and the inheritor is near 90 (the old Mom) and not mobile enough to be inconvenience. The 'title' of the land will probably go to all the family when the old Mom passes. I expect that if I ever bother with a retirement visa....this will be problematic.  Suggestions?

If your asking who is responsible for reporting your address it is you in this case.

As a (capital F) Fallang  applicant that seems slightly problematic in CM as I am the house owner and not the land owner (s).  Thanks for the suggestion though. I do have an ex relative in the local Ampur, which I can use as a reference/recommendation to CM immigration.. There must be a number of us in similar situations ? 

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Unless she works at a hotel front desk most Thai would have no idea of them being subject to any such law.  And even then most would not equate it to private home.  Not only is not not public knowledge it has never been enforced more than selectively.  

Exactly & therein lies the rub

If they want to make a silly law then advertise it.

How is anyone supposed to know such a law exists?

Why not have grandpa mention it on his Friday night address he does on TV?

Why not put it on the front page of the daily paper once every 30 days for a year etc

Like any legal notice in any other country? Because TIT right?

They should be the one paying the fine for not letting all Thai's know a law exists

Sometimes you think about these things & just shake your head at the absurdity

Other times you just smile...stick your hand in your pocket...again.... & say ok thanks for letting me stay in Shambhala :coffee1:

21 minutes ago, Teak said:

As a (capital F) Fallang  applicant that seems slightly problematic in CM as I am the house owner and not the land owner (s).  Thanks for the suggestion though. I do have an ex relative in the local Ampur, which I can use as a reference/recommendation to CM immigration.. There must be a number of us in similar situations ? 

You can get information from this thread.