Unexpected Visitors, insights please

Dakhar

First round of Visitor

I had an unexpected visit from immigration officers today.  I was home, but unaware they were at the house, they spoke to my wife, asked if I still lived at the house, asked to see my passport, (took a photo) and asked how much we spent for a monthly budget.  

Second round of Visitors

About one hour after the immigration officers left the house, customs officers showed up, asking about a box that was shipped to my wife 2 years ago from China.  

The box contents:

1 - some her clothes

2 - a used Tefal iron  (the iron was 2 years old, and retailed new for 20K Bht)

We lived in China and moved back to Thailand, and we couldn't carry all of our belongings, so we shipped her clothes and the iron a little over a year after we moved back to Thailand.

Any how, the customs officers asked my wife to give her accounting of the box

1 when it was shipped

2 contents of the box

3 value of the contents of the box

4 the customs fees for the contents of the box

My wife gave a written account of the box, the officers told her that her accounting matched their records, and they left.

I have heard of immigration officers doing spot visits before, but never customs officers ?   Have any of you folks heard of such a thing? 

I'd have closed the door on them and left them to it. I do a 90 day report every 90 days, apart from that nobody's getting their hands on my passport.

The customs thing is just plain weird. At a guess I wonder if maybe they're investigating corruption / officials who over charge but that would seem highly unlikely.

Your monthly spending has nothing to do with them. Were they all in uniform / can you be sure they were 'real' officials ? This is why I would take such a harsh line with people turning up at my door like this, I have no real idea who they are and wouldn't trust anyone at all.

The immigration officials were legitimate, as my wife recognized one of the officers, that had done the first spot check after I applied for my first extension based on marriage.   But I have never had any subsequent spot checks, and I have renewed my extension 3 times.  (my 4th extension is due in a few months)

Regarding the budget question, it makes me wonder if they are taking a survey in order to increase the required monthly income demands for an extension based on marriage to a Thai. (I don't know, just a guess)

Regarding customs, yes, I wondered as well if they might be investigating corruption in the customs department.  We didn't do anything in the gray area, nor did we attempt to ask to pay off the customs officers etc etc.    

Edited by Dakhar

One reason l guess is in some past years Thai immigration have come across in various ways bogus marriages. 

As for customs maybe your right they had been given a lift by the immigration guys and been dropped off for lunch before coming to see you. :D

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

I'd have closed the door on them and left them to it. I do a 90 day report every 90 days, apart from that nobody's getting their hands on my passport.

The customs thing is just plain weird. At a guess I wonder if maybe they're investigating corruption / officials who over charge but that would seem highly unlikely.

Your monthly spending has nothing to do with them. Were they all in uniform / can you be sure they were 'real' officials ? This is why I would take such a harsh line with people turning up at my door like this, I have no real idea who they are and wouldn't trust anyone at all.

"I'd have closed the door on them and left them to it." 555 I have to laugh when I read something like this "imagined" hypothetical bravery. 

8 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

"I'd have closed the door on them and left them to it." 555 I have to laugh when I read something like this "imagined" hypothetical bravery. 

In your imagination maybe. You don't need to comply with random rubbish from so called authorities, especially when half of these morons (the officials) appear to be making it up as they go along. The only way they would get to see my passport for no particular reason whatsoever would involve a drive to the immigration office.

In my direct experience they're so lazy and corrupt that they just move onto another more compliant 'mark', perhaps someone like yourself who gladly opens his wallet every time the 'wallet inspector' turns up unannounced.

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

In your imagination maybe. You don't need to comply with random rubbish from so called authorities, especially when half of these morons (the officials) appear to be making it up as they go along. The only way they would get to see my passport for no particular reason whatsoever would involve a drive to the immigration office.

In my direct experience they're so lazy and corrupt that they just move onto another more compliant 'mark', perhaps someone like yourself who gladly opens his wallet every time the 'wallet inspector' turns up unannounced.

May work 9 out of 10 times.  And they may be lazy up until they've got a grudge.  At which time, they do have the power to make your day (your life?) miserable.  Just for fun.

And compliance is so simple at your door, why would you even bother to spend any time heading off for an afternoon at immigration, much less risk they'll be pissed off and looking for some payback when you get there?

just pressing back to one little OP point:

an Iron, and a simple Tefal at that! -  that costs 20K ThB !!!  

- what was packed inside it?

it all sounds like some mislead Customs Sting action!! - expecting to find something BIG.

...And who, family members all included, keep, and maintain a paper trail, on something so menial as an iron etc...

13 minutes ago, tifino said:

it all sounds like some mislead Customs Sting action!! - expecting to find something BIG.

...And who, family members all included, keep, and maintain a paper trail, on something so menial as an iron etc...

I wonder how many times this kind of thing is one of the neighbors (perhaps a connected one) ratting on someone they have a grudge against, and the customs guys have to go through the motions- even if their heart's not in it?

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

If you shut the door on any government official, as well as refusing to show your passport, you might find yourself at the airport quick sharp, after a few nights in a cell. Apart from their loss of face, and nothing in Thailand trumps that, you are refusing to cooperate in what might be and probably is a legitimate query. And for what? Hmm?

I can't believe that they are so ridiculous with honest people who register where they live when some smarter people will never give a real address or even have a correct visa to live in Thailand for ever !

Nothing is done to push you to be honest in this country and I will never be !

I had a visit from immigration at my home 2 days ago, and that was a first in 15 years. I have never missed my  annual visa application and never missed a 90 report. When the chap arrived he had a complete set of documents used for my visa renewal application last month.

He asked for my WP and Passport and questioned on a number of topics and then asked to have photos taken in the master bedroom, my daughters bedroom the kitchen the living room and outside the house with the house number visible. These same and many other photos were presented at the visa application on the  23rd Aug some of which were returned along with a confirmation from a neighbour that I actually lived in my home. Strange times.  

I wonder what happens when the team arrives at your home,

- and you've already headed off on some all-over-thailand trip? 

- and nobody - neighbours etc know how you can be contacted, nor when you'll be back...

Is there some time frame, after which - the hammer comes down on you? for you not making any plans to make yourself available/contactable, at all times?

(I never answer calls from an Unknown / Unlisted / nor Private numbers BTW)

SIM tracking is not yet up and going either :whistling:

1 hour ago, AsianExport said:

I can't believe that they are so ridiculous with honest people who register where they live when some smarter people will never give a real address or even have a correct visa to live in Thailand for ever !

So, what do you figure will happen to those "smarter people" next time they cross the border or interact with the agency that went looking for them at their fake address?  Ya figure they may have posted a note in their immigration profile?

And the ones that don't have a visa at all?  God forbid they get caught speeding or in a bar scuffle or having to report a crime themselves.  Yup, got the crap kicked out of me and robbed of everything I own, but I dare not go to the cop shop.  Great way to live.

If that doesn't push a guy to be honest, I don't know what will.

12 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Which immigration office?

I'm in Chaing Rias jurisdiction 

an Iron, and a simple Tefal at that! -  that costs 20K ThB !!!  

- what was packed inside it?

It is one of those quality Tefal pressurized irons you can find at Robinsons. They really cut down on the time required to iron, fast and does a nice job.   I don't really care about irons that much, but my wife likes a good iron, so she gets a nice iron.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you shut the door on any government official, as well as refusing to show your passport, you might find yourself at the airport quick sharp, after a few nights in a cell. Apart from their loss of face, and nothing in Thailand trumps that, you are refusing to cooperate in what might be and probably is a legitimate query. And for what? Hmm?

My wife had no inclination to shut the door on the immigration officers, as I stated before, she recognized one of them from a past visit about 3 years back.  They didn't take my passport with them, they just took a photo of the front page (ID section) of the passport

1 hour ago, tifino said:

I wonder what happens when the team arrives at your home,

- and you've already headed off on some all-over-thailand trip? 

- and nobody - neighbours etc know how you can be contacted, nor when you'll be back...

Is there some time frame, after which - the hammer comes down on you? for you not making any plans to make yourself available/contactable, at all times?

(I never answer calls from an Unknown / Unlisted / nor Private numbers BTW)

SIM tracking is not yet up and going either :whistling:

I was actually in my car, in the drive way when customs pulled up.  My wife and I were about to leave to go to Lotus.

54 minutes ago, RogerP said:

If the stuff was worth so little; why pay to ship it in the first place ?

It would have cost me 20K baht to replace the iron, and the clothes....   it was a lot of clothes.  The thing was, we lived in China, my wife became pregnant, and she left China at about 6 months pregnant, so she left a lot of her clothes behind that she no longer fit.   Once she had our baby, and regained her formal shape, she wanted her clothes back.

I wouldn't say the stuff was of little worth....

The "irony" is, the iron worked for about 16-18 months after we got it back from China and then died.   So when customs asked about it, my wife told them....    We still have it, and it is broken, and if they would like to see it, they are welcome to see it.   We purchased another Tefal (newer model) to replaced the broken one about 3 months back.

Another strange aspect about this tale is, customs (2 years back) opened the box that contained the iron and clothes and called us about the box, and they stated what the fees were going to be etc etc.   

So, I just find it strange, that customs officers come to our house asking what was in the box, as they already knew.....

As I said, my wife offered her account regarding the box, and then they said.... "Your account matches our records."   They also told her, that they were checking in on our box, as they wanted to make sure she wasn't bringing in goods from China and then selling them....

Which I think is strange, 1 box from China, over two years, makes a blip on the radar?

The more I ponder on this, I think they are ivestigating someone in the customs department (just a guess)

2 hours ago, AsianExport said:

TROLL

I sure wish they would do a little more of this in my home country and I sure don't blame them for trying to clear out the criminals here. If you don't have a valid permission to stay here than you are a criminal. In these times of international terrorism I would think we should welcome some checking up.

I sure wish they would do a little more of this in my home country and I sure don't blame them for trying to clear out the criminals here. If you don't have a valid permission to stay here than you are a criminal. In these times of international terrorism I would think we should welcome some checking up.

One package from China 2 years ago, in my mind, doesn't constitute nefarious actions, and certainly doesn't constitute a visit to your own home....  

Further more, the contents of the package was already clearly known, as it was opened by customs 2 years ago.

keep in mind, the box was addressed to my wife, so this matter was a "Thai" on "Thai" issue, with a special twist, a Thai married to a foreigner, which then smacks of possible xenophobia, laced with harassment to me.

Or just possibly, an investigation going on within the customs department for corrupt activities. (one can always hope)

Edited by Dakhar

49 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

I think UKrules was right, he did his 90 day report, why should he give his passport to someone at his house? I would have moved them on unless it was the police checking up after some terrorist atrocity.

5 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...meanwhile the locals get away with all manner of crime.....

...wow.....

Wow indeed. More "farang good, Thai bad" rubbish from internet warriors.

One of the reasons immigrations may be becoming more strict is all the farang over-stayers, ed visa holders who don't go to class, visa or extension holder who are found to have forged entries in their passports and other rule benders including those who boldly admit they pay someone to facilitate extensions of stay for which they don't qualify.

So many people in this thread acting bravely behind the mask of anonymity. Shutting the door on immigration police and huffing & puffing. Wow indeed. Laughable.

Im not sure if u folks have seen this, but Ive seen cops show up at a red box in front of a 7/11, and one cop takes a photo of his partner in front of 7/11 by the red box

The photo is being used to prove they are actually doing their job and stopping by 7/11.

I wouldnt be surprised if the photo of my passport is being used for the same function, not necessarily being used for much more than that.