Unexpected Visitors, insights please

Dakhar

10 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Wow indeed. More "farang good, Thai bad" rubbish from internet warriors.

One of the reasons immigrations may be becoming more strict is all the farang over-stayers, ed visa holders who don't go to class, visa or extension holder who are found to have forged entries in their passports and other rule benders including those who boldly admit they pay someone to facilitate extensions of stay for which they don't qualify.

So many people in this thread acting bravely behind the mask of anonymity. Shutting the door on immigration police and huffing & puffing. Wow indeed. Laughable.

So, is anyone that isn't Thai "Farang"?  What about Chinese, Fijians, Inuits?  You always seem to lump everyone that isn't Thai as a "Farang".  Why is that?

5 hours ago, tifino said:

I wonder what happens when the team arrives at your home,

- and you've already headed off on some all-over-thailand trip? 

- and nobody - neighbours etc know how you can be contacted, nor when you'll be back...

Is there some time frame, after which - the hammer comes down on you? for you not making any plans to make yourself available/contactable, at all times?

(I never answer calls from an Unknown / Unlisted / nor Private numbers BTW)

SIM tracking is not yet up and going either :whistling:

They will just go back and forget you, without even knowing how useless they are !

During that time bombs explode all over thailand ! Great Mibs or other shitinuniform !

4 hours ago, impulse said:

So, what do you figure will happen to those "smarter people" next time they cross the border or interact with the agency that went looking for them at their fake address?  Ya figure they may have posted a note in their immigration profile?

And the ones that don't have a visa at all?  God forbid they get caught speeding or in a bar scuffle or having to report a crime themselves.  Yup, got the crap kicked out of me and robbed of everything I own, but I dare not go to the cop shop.  Great way to live.

If that doesn't push a guy to be honest, I don't know what will.

yes, it really seems that you don't know, but it's too late to explain you.

3 hours ago, Grubster said:

I sure wish they would do a little more of this in my home country and I sure don't blame them for trying to clear out the criminals here. If you don't have a valid permission to stay here than you are a criminal. In these times of international terrorism I would think we should welcome some checking up.

I travel abroad every month and live in Thailand as much as I want, anywhere I want, and they will never have any of my addresses. What do you think they can do ? Check my proxy IP address ? Or my hotel IP address ? They are just ridiculous and proud of it.

8 hours ago, AsianExport said:

yes, it really seems that you don't know, but it's too late to explain you.

We'll miss you when your blatant disregard of their rules catches up to you.  Like so many others in the past few years whose Thailand adventure was cut short because they decided the rules weren't for them.

It may not be today, or this year.  But one day, you'll rock up to immigration at the airport and they'll stamp you out for the final time because they can't match your false information.  It's just a question of technology and that's getting more and more intrusive.

Edit:  And the sad thing is that it will be over something as trivial as giving them an address.  Kind of falls into the "Rebel Without a Clue" category.

Edited by impulse

The only time i was checked is when i applied for a multiple visa, they made a phonecall to my wife from Europe.

One day i was building something in the garden while 10 official looking people showed up in our moobaan, they went from door to door. They happened to be from a political party trying to convince my neighbours to vote for them...10 to 1-2 persons who were home.

When they saw me all of them came standing infront of our gate watching me...I got annoyed by that and asked them: Mee tang mai? They looked shocked and moved on...:thumbsup:

For the rest only the police have asked for my driverslicenses at checkpoints down the road. Never been asked for a pasport except at banks and even there i use my driverslicense these days. 

The ratio of farang to immigration officers in my area is probably 5 to 1, and there is probably only 10 farangs where I am at.  So the visitation by an immigration officer, that has been told by his boss to make a spot check is not a surprise to me.

The officers also told my wife, that we no longer needed to drive to Chiang Rai to do my 90 day check in, that I could now check in with the local police department. (which is a new development for this area)   According to my wife, their visit was short, and they didn't seem rude etc etc.  Only odd question was how much our monthly budget is.   

My documents are all up to date, and I do obey the 90 day reporting religiously.  

It was the visit by customs that was a surprise to me.

Edited by Dakhar

1 hour ago, Thian said:

The only time i was checked is when i applied for a multiple visa, they made a phonecall to my wife from Europe.

One day i was building something in the garden while 10 official looking people showed up in our moobaan, they went from door to door. They happened to be from a political party trying to convince my neighbours to vote for them...10 to 1-2 persons who were home.

When they saw me all of them came standing infront of our gate watching me...I got annoyed by that and asked them: Mee tang mai? They looked shocked and moved on...:thumbsup:

For the rest only the police have asked for my driverslicenses at checkpoints down the road. Never been asked for a pasport except at banks and even there i use my driverslicense these days. 

phone call for multiple visa ???

4 hours ago, impulse said:

We'll miss you when your blatant disregard of their rules catches up to you.  Like so many others in the past few years whose Thailand adventure was cut short because they decided the rules weren't for them.

It may not be today, or this year.  But one day, you'll rock up to immigration at the airport and they'll stamp you out for the final time because they can't match your false information.  It's just a question of technology and that's getting more and more intrusive.

Edit:  And the sad thing is that it will be over something as trivial as giving them an address.  Kind of falls into the "Rebel Without a Clue" category.

Perfect post of week people who bend at the first sight.

The day when somebody in this country will be smart enough to make any problem I will get an Elite card within 1 hour with a phone call and 500k. Let's see who decides how it works.

19 hours ago, AsianExport said:

Wait an immigation visit and you will understand what you are...

Been living in Thailand over 20 years been visited twice no big deal.  My friend moved to the USA and got his wife a fiance visa. Immigration in the USA came to their house to check on them to make sure they had a real relationship. Not sure that happens all the time, but it can happen in any country.  So what visa are you on or you are living in Thailand on visa exempt..

2 hours ago, Xircal said:

I was reading an article today about immigration intending to scrutinize foreigners a lot more closely than before. Maybe that has something to do with it. Here's the article:  http://www.asianews.network/content/thailand-steps-scrutiny-foreign-visitors-7235

Comply with the rules, file the appropriate paperwork and they can't touch you.

On 9/9/2016 at 4:52 PM, ukrules said:

In your imagination maybe. You don't need to comply with random rubbish from so called authorities, especially when half of these morons (the officials) appear to be making it up as they go along. The only way they would get to see my passport for no particular reason whatsoever would involve a drive to the immigration office.

In my direct experience they're so lazy and corrupt that they just move onto another more compliant 'mark', perhaps someone like yourself who gladly opens his wallet every time the 'wallet inspector' turns up unannounced.

not only  do they "make it  up" they dont know the  rules, or at least you get told one thing one  day and the next another officer  tells  you that its "not necessary" on more than one occasion

One officer told us one of the photos we needed for ext. stay had to show the bedroom and bed then said the photo only showed 9/10ths  of the bed and wasnt acceptable, the officer next to him said it was "perfectly ok"

One  year the  a  photo of us outside our  house showing  house  number /name which we printed our  selves and laminated then stuck to our wall was  acceptable, next time they said we could  have made it up! We said "we  did" but whats to stop us buying a "made up sign anyway" does  a  made up one form a shop saying "freds  house"  make it more real, not only that the photo was the same as the year before

Lazy......yes, they said we  lived  too far from their office to come and visit (30km) and so they took us 100 yards down the road and took a photo outside  a hotel/large  house and made out  we had stayed there or  lived there for the BKK immigration which is where they would have to send out application to be approved....and finally last year's marriage extension were told " next year" you apply for retirement as more "hi so" when we know its  easier for them to process this as they have to send nothing to BKK and  less paperwork and can be done in a  day.

17 hours ago, Dakhar said:

The ratio of farang to immigration officers in my area is probably 5 to 1, and there is probably only 10 farangs where I am at.  So the visitation by an immigration officer, that has been told by his boss to make a spot check is not a surprise to me.

The officers also told my wife, that we no longer needed to drive to Chiang Rai to do my 90 day check in, that I could now check in with the local police department. (which is a new development for this area)   According to my wife, their visit was short, and they didn't seem rude etc etc.  Only odd question was how much our monthly budget is.   

My documents are all up to date, and I do obey the 90 day reporting religiously.  

It was the visit by customs that was a surprise to me.

I have a Burmese  lad works for me, he has to do 90 day reports but he too can check in with the local Police so they are doing this for some foreigners. I do it online so its not a problem.

On 9/9/2016 at 11:40 PM, Suradit69 said:

Wow indeed. More "farang good, Thai bad" rubbish from internet warriors.

One of the reasons immigrations may be becoming more strict is all the farang over-stayers, ed visa holders who don't go to class, visa or extension holder who are found to have forged entries in their passports and other rule benders including those who boldly admit they pay someone to facilitate extensions of stay for which they don't qualify.

So many people in this thread acting bravely behind the mask of anonymity. Shutting the door on immigration police and huffing & puffing. Wow indeed. Laughable.

Thankfully though no corrupt  officials in immigration who ask for 30-50k to approve these nasty foreigner visas....................still available right  now in BKK for a price as I know someone who did it recently.

On 9 September 2016 at 7:03 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

If you shut the door on any government official, as well as refusing to show your passport, you might find yourself at the airport quick sharp, after a few nights in a cell. Apart from their loss of face, and nothing in Thailand trumps that, you are refusing to cooperate in what might be and probably is a legitimate query. And for what? Hmm?

Because (you think) you're a big shot