Air Asia management says crew volunteered to prostrate before a passenger to apologize her

webfact

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Tony Fernandez only comes out of his anonymity and hiding to put out fires...

other than that, you try to get a hold of him to put any concerns or graveness,

the man is a ghost and unreachable.....

Try BA if you want unreachable; I have been writing unsuccessfully to Customer Services since July 20th with a complaint.  I get automated responses but no humans.  Their department must be overwhelmed.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Try BA if you want unreachable; I have been writing unsuccessfully to Customer Services since July 20th with a complaint.  I get automated responses but no humans.  Their department must be overwhelmed.

Don't expect any good response from any of the budget airlines. If it is a standard fare airline with no human response then it is even worse.

Edited by wvavin

2 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Don't expect any good response from any of the budget airlines. It's a norm.

BA is UK's National Carrier; the flagship of the country.  But it has become a budget airline recently though you couldn't tell from their prices.

46 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

You wouldn't get it in a developed country as the employee would take the company to court and Sue them into the ground

My point was too many people come to Thailand because it's a f'd up developing country and then complain about it being a f'd up developing country every chance they get.  

It's like the people who like to rant and rave about corruption but enjoy living in Thailand because they are able to pay a bribe to a traffic cop to get out of a ticket.  

No, this would not have happened back home.  You would likely have a unionized flight crew who has zero fear of ever being fired barking orders at passengers and if you happen to get angry or raise your voice they would remind you that they could have you arrested as soon as the plane lands for interfering with the flight crew.  

Uhm, good luck with that.  

So don't complain how it would never happen back home unless you actually want it to be like it is back home.  Sorry, you can't pick and choose the best of both and live in some fantasy world where everything is perfect.  

Do I think that whatever actually did happen resulted in a totally over-dramatic show of regret?  Yes.  Do I care who ordered it, why, and want to change it?  No.  I really could care less and I certainly don't want Thai airlines to start emulating western airlines with their 50 and 60 year old crabby flight attendants.  

Just symptomatic of the massive inferiority complexes suffered by many Thais who, once put in any position of pseudo "authority" over another, will take supposed offence at the least little thing and then milk it for all it's worth.

pathetic.

I feel sorry for the autistic daughter having to be brought up by such a miserable example of a mother.

10 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

And they seem to have completely forgotten that the forward thinking King Chulalongkorn put a stop to all this prostrating when he succeeded his father.

Therefore making employees do such a thing would be leste majeste.  Disrespecting a former monarch. 

Spot the difference:
Mr Tassapol: "We didn't do it, she did it by herself. Our executives never obligated our staff to perform an act of prostration."
Mr. Fernandes: "My fault. I’m the leader. We need better procedures on both sides. And we will get better."

13 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Prostrating oneself was done away with in 1873 by HM Chulalongkorn but was unfortunately resurrected again in the name of 'Thai culture' by one of Thailand's infamous military dictators in the 20th Century (Possibly Phibun but I would have to fact check there).

HM Chulalongkorn stated that it was a practice of oppression and should be abolished. 

He was a monarch far ahead of his time. 

There was an op-ed piece in one of the Thai newspapers (don't remember which) several years ago and the writer was speaking at some event with a lot of Thai society's hi-sos.  He had been asked to speak about how better to bridge the gap between the haves and have-nots in Thailand.  

He told the crowd that the waiters at this dinner were required to dip down low enough so as to serve food and drink above their head in a show of their status vs the diners.  And as long as Thailand holds onto such traditions of status and displays of status, there was no bridge.  

Very observant and not very popular with the crowd he was speaking to.  

34 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Prostrating oneself was done away with in 1873 by HM Chulalongkorn but was unfortunately resurrected again in the name of 'Thai culture' by one of Thailand's infamous military dictators in the 20th Century (Possibly Phibun but I would have to fact check there).

HM Chulalongkorn stated that it was a practice of oppression and should be abolished. 

He was a monarch far ahead of his time. 

A lot of ancient customs have been resurrected, and not all by infamous military strongmen (Sarit might be your proponent?).

And I believe the proclamation contained the following caveat:

But to eliminate all the practices at once will be impossible. The process has to be gradual and timely. 

The general consensus seems to be that "the people" wanted this practice resurrected so they could show respect for their monarch. But often the people are given something for different reasons.

As is evidenced by the recent incident in Surin, this is taught to all the commoners from the earliest of ages by the "authorities", notably teachers, and is often portrayed in lakorn.

Edited by mtls2005

what exactly did the hostess do,or say for the woman to go completely ballistic ? i have seen Thai women over react with shrieking hate before over minor incidents .Thailand is not all peaceful like people conceive ........just give that woman a free flight ,and deduct the price on the hostess's salary .  

12 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I think everyone in the world should act exactly by the standards of my country.  We need a lot more lawyers and lawsuits in general in Thailand, that will improve the life of everyone as we see here in America.  

Wherrrre's ma gurn!

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I think that the money guzzling enterprise that is QPR has quenched his thirst for putting his head above the parapet too often...

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I personally know Tony, and what you wrote is totally wrong...

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Normal among many Thai CEO's and executives.

Vichai at Leicester City does it with some of his staff apparently.

Very common......often the main actors wives demand prostrate kowtowing...

Remember seeing Nuttawat after he was promoted to assistant something....photo of his staff prostrate before him in the media........pompous plebs!

1 minute ago, newcomer71 said:

I personally know Tony, and what you wrote is totally wrong...

Don't start bringing facts to TVF.  Every CEO, or basically anybody higher up than us on the totem pole, is fair game for us to make up any outlandish thing we want to say because, hey, it makes me feel better about myself to tear someone else down or I had a flight delay and I expect the CEO of a multi-national company to respond to [email protected] and address my issues personally!!!!  

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

You act surprised. Ever notice the fact it's hard to speak to real person for customer service on the phone. And, those a low paid CSR people; why should a CEO of a major company speak to a mere customer?  That is today's business and political mindset.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Work place bullying.  Try doing this in a civilised and developed country and the company will be paying millions in compensation.  I guess the management will turn up for a publicity stunt photo and all will be forgiven

Worse yet, did you see the resolution offered by the head of Thai Air Asia, " In the aftermath of the incident, Mr Tassapol said the airline would adjust the in-flight protocol regarding conflict between cabin crews and passengers by referring the incidents to the customer’s relations department. "

So fine, there is an incident on the plane; and  the new policy refers the  problem to the customer relation's department. Now, that is "management in action" or is it two words?

Whilst Sir Tim Clarke and all other airlines CEO's are readily available for petty gripes and "concerns"....

35 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I think everyone in the world should act exactly by the standards of my country.  We need a lot more lawyers and lawsuits in general in Thailand, that will improve the life of everyone as we see here in America.  

Great Comment - try family/  "divorce" lawyers in Australia they really make for a better society. My brother changed his specialization from family law to criminal law-  He felt that crims are a better than many of the divorcees and their representitives that he had to deal with

Remember the security guard at Suvarnabhumi who tried to run a detector over an airport senior manager? The manager responded by slapping the guard's face, and the guard responded to that by giving the lowest, deepest wai I have ever seen. It was on video (can't seem to find it now), but when I saw it,  I felt quite sick at seeing a human being humiliated like that - at being forced to kow-tow in abject terror to a little-big man. 

It's without doubt one of the reasons we see such explosions of violence here. So much pent up frustration at being expected to be a man in Thailand, yet at the same time being forced to be servile and subservient to people you feel are unworthy. 

It's difficult to sympathize with the flight att. even though we all know that this is how she is brought up - a female in Thai society, unless of the entitled class, is forced to subjugate herself to all and sundry. But still, if she was in the right, she should have stood her ground. 

1 minute ago, Dexlowe said:

Remember the security guard at Suvarnabhumi who tried to run a detector over an airport senior manager? The manager responded by slapping the guard's face, and the guard responded to that by giving the lowest, deepest wai I have ever seen. It was on video (can't seem to find it now), but when I saw it,  I felt quite sick at seeing a human being humiliated like that - at being forced to kow-tow in abject terror to a little-big man. 

It's without doubt one of the reasons we see such explosions of violence here. So much pent up frustration at being expected to be a man in Thailand, yet at the same time being forced to be servile and subservient to people you feel are unworthy. 

It's difficult to sympathize with the flight att. even though we all know that this is how she is brought up - a female in Thai society, unless of the entitled class, is forced to subjugate herself to all and sundry. But still, if she was in the right, she should have stood her ground. 

Add to that the police general who ripped the ears off officers manning a roadblock who dared to stop him because they hadn't recognized him then issued an order that all junior officers should memorize photos of senior officers and their car registrations so it wouldn't happen again.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

On what basis do you make that accusation. I sent him a mail once and got a very speedy reply when he passed it on to the appropiate person for action.

A COE does not have the luxury of more hours in his/her day. If they are good they have an empowered team who handle things. 

From what I have read about this chain of events he and his team have done all they could to make things right. Dealing with people like this woman is a no win situation.