DANITAS Tortillas! I Love You Too Much! ~(˘▾˘~)

Trujillo

I love Danitas flour tortillas. They are so great. Maybe they are the greatest tortillas in the world; in fact, they must be!

The packaging is attractive and each tortilla is pre-stuck to the next one so that taking them apart is fun and educational too. 

And did I mention? GREAT FOR WRAPS! 

All hail Danitas!! King of flour tortillas!!

Danitas flour tortillias.JPG

• Like 2

I've had the same annoying thing happen with Danita's whole wheat tortillas.  Doesn't matter what you do, they stick together and rip apart.  

The other brand (El Charro)  has the smarts to put a piece of wax paper between each tortilla and not load them up with so much preservative that they have a two month shelf life.  

That said, Danita's white flour tortillas usually separate OK and taste pretty good. 

Do not squash them on the way home.  Open the package when you get home, let it sit for an hour, carefully separate them and restack with half or a quarter of a paper towel between each of them.  Bag the stack and refrigerate.  Works every time.

• Like 1

You flex wiggle them as they are starting to reach room temperature....

Then peal off one by one the amount you need - with one in reserve....

Then place in a bowl or plate which approximates the final shape you want.....

Then fill - roll - fold to the shape you want.....

Or, like my wife, coconut fry & singe to the shape you want - fill & enjoy before the next one becomes available.....

I regularly buy and use Danitas flour tortillas. Used to use the white flour kind, but those have lard. So eventually switched to the whole wheat variety. Didn't like the taste at first, but am used to it now.

Someone really ought to tell Danitas to f****ing put small sheets of tissue between their tortillas or use some other packing method to prevent their sticking. I've tried all the methods mentioned in the thread above, and sometimes the packages will separate OK if I peel them apart carefully. But other times, no matter what I do or how long they sit un-refrigerated, they're clumped together like melted cheese and end up getting torn up like in the photo above.

El Paso is fine, except, they're about 2-3 times the price of Danitas for the same quantity of tortillas, probably because they're imported. OTOH, El Charro is another local tortilla brand, but I've never really cared for the taste and texture of their flour tortillas.

I have tried various methods with various success and failure. 

I don't really like to heat food up in the microwave and then re-refrigerate it and then repeat every time I need a tortilla, although I suppose it's okay to do that. 

Clearly, selling a product that is liable to stick to itself rendering it useless for wraps is not a very good business model. 

The aim of this thread was in the hopes that someone from the company might actually hear about this situation or even view the thread (although I doubt your average Thai has ever even heard of ThaiVisa Forum). 

Having said that, I know that this situation must be common knowledge to the company and they simply don't want to spend the extra money and steps to ensure each tortilla is separable without any special (and often useless) techniques, or they don't care. 

But who knows? Maybe they will finally "get it."

once the paper is in-between they come apart later easily cold out of the frig as long as nobody sat on them

but then again it would depend on frig temperature, bag sealing, number of years in storage, type and size of paper used, number, duration and timming of electrical outages....

i used to know people who made things as complicated as possible but no longer in real life

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

Couldn't you heat the package up once, repackage it yourself with some paper between the tortillas and then you would have to reheat it multiple times every time you needed a tortilla? ...............Just wondering.

FWIW, IF one can manage to separate their tortillas, once that's been done, they don't seem to stick together again once they're put back in the frig.

It's the original packaging with Danitas that is very odd. When I find their flour tortillas in the frig section in the stores, they're often compressed together almost with the consistency of a brick, or like they had been stacked VERY high or with a lot of weight, causing them to be crushed/compressed/really stuck together.

I've never seen any other kind of flour tortilla packages that arrive in that kind of condition.

On 9/9/2016 at 9:23 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

El Paso is fine, except, they're about 2-3 times the price of Danitas for the same quantity of tortillas, probably because they're imported. OTOH, El Charro is another local tortilla brand, but I've never really cared for the taste and texture of their flour tortillas.

Not quite....

On 9/9/2016 at 10:03 PM, Sparkles said:

Not difficult to make your own if its causing you grief.

I totally agree....  Nothing tastes better than homemade and fresh. That's what I do when I make my famous breakfast burritos. 

However there are times when I'm lazy and I do buy. When I buy it's usually Danitas. I generally leave them sit out while making the burrito ingredients and then warm them slightly on low microwave setting. Never had an issue with them sticking together and when they are slightly warm they tend to wrap easily.

"I love Danitas flour tortillas." - Sorry to say OP those pictured are not flour but rather whole wheat.

On 9/9/2016 at 9:23 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I regularly buy and use Danitas flour tortillas. Used to use the white flour kind, but those have lard. So eventually switched to the whole wheat variety. Didn't like the taste at first, but am used to it now.

That worried me as I'm vegetarian and eat Danitas white flour tortillas sometimes.  I emailed Danitas and they confirmed they only use palm oil.  No lard in any of their tortillas.

It's [email protected] should anyone be in the mood to complain about their compressed whole wheat tortillas. 

Edited by ricklev

Can a vegetarian eat butter?  I'm not keen on palm oil.  When i was a ditch digger and needed calories at the end of the day i plastered a warm tortilla with butter, spread gobs of crunchy peanut butter and topped off with hills of honey. 

El Charro definitely has a leg up in terms of usability. But they get a great, big one-legged "A" for environmental friendliness; so much wasted paper. And in terms of flavor and texture, I don't think either company does a very good job. It is a reflection of the very sad state of Mexican food in Chiang Mai that even the best we have to offer is only just passable. But that is a topic for another day.

Oh, but I should say that IMHO El Charro's salted tortilla chips are quite good by any measure. Definitely better than Danita's. There's a brand from Greece being sold at Makro that isn't half bad either and is a bit more economical. Strange given El Charro is made here.

On 9/9/2016 at 4:23 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Someone really ought to tell Danitas to f****ing put small sheets of tissue between their tortillas or use some other packing method to prevent their sticking. I've tried all the methods mentioned in the thread above, and sometimes the packages will separate OK if I peel them apart carefully. But other times, no matter what I do or how long they sit un-refrigerated, they're clumped together like melted cheese and end up getting torn up like in the photo above.

as i recall the white tortillas don't stick as much as the brown ones, so don't buy the brown ones. 

re: lard,  I know the official recommened Transfat is 0, but haven't said that is this a lot of Transfat?

--

Lard is often hydrogenated to improve its stability at room temperature. Hydrogenated lard sold to consumers typically contains fewer than 0.5 g of transfats per 13 g serving.[10] Lard is also often treated with bleaching and deodorizing agents, emulsifiers, and antioxidants such as BHT.[4][11] These treatments make it more consistent and prevent spoilage. (Untreated lard must be refrigerated or frozen to prevent rancidity.)[12][13]

--

• Like 1

• 4 months later...