Observations about amount of posts that get liked.

anotheruser

So since the new forum came about you can now see the number of likes each member gets relative to the amount of posts they have made. I noticed that some people you wouldn't think have high amounts of likes and some of the more valuable members have high post counts with proportionately less likes. One example is moderators. They often have above average amounts of posts and some are really helpful. Ubonjoe for example has over 40,000 posts the large majority of them are helpful, thoughtful and accurate. Yet, his like count isn't even 50% as a ratio, 

Then you get the guys who every other post is a snarky one liner designed to induce lulz and they have 3:1 like ratios. Lately I have been playing around to get my like count up and found if you want to achieve this the way to go about it is like this... be early to a thread and say something insensitive, coarse or sarcastic. You can get 30 likes per post with the most inane nonsense. If you write out articulate, helpful, to the point posts you will seldom receive a like. This is especially true if you answer a question for a newbie on where to get or how to book something. 

I am rambling but if the point system is in place for likes to measure the quality of content or reputation of any given poster it is failing quite badly. I am batting about 50% on my ratio and if I want to achieve a 1:1 ratio I had better get busy saying utterly stupid things designed to bait likes. So in this way I think showing numbers of likes is not really a good new thing for the site. Say Trump is stupid to get 20 likes with no other content or bash Pattaya for sure likes. say a foreigner is at fault and should leave no matter what the argument is and profit.

It seems to me that ironically only a complete psychopath has more or equal likes to posts on this site.

it's probably about getting in first, with something really profound and obvious that others are bound to repeat, using alternative words;

or else make some Reply Post - that has already made one start chuckling, even before the Enter button has been pressed to Send...

Did I get in first??

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

So you think i am a psychopath !!! What the hell been called many things in my life dont care:whistling:

Please increase the dose of your medication, that might help.

That's what i mean you are bound to get some likes out of a nonsense post like this. Hence your high batting ratio.

Would be counter productive for the site I would have thought and anyway if someone says something too stupid or senseless everyone gets the daggers out. As it should be of course. It gets depressing when you can identify a poster by what they have said before you even know who said it. 

Bash Thai men, Obama, Russkies, the Chinese, Muslims and liberals, do it in a condescending language and you, too can rack up the likes.

Ask a reasonable question, and you'll get replies bashing Thai men, Obama.... And very little useful input.

Provide some useful input and you'll end up being told in no uncertain terms that it couldn't have happened the way you said it did.

It's gotten to where it's barely worthwhile to wade through the detritus for the nuggets.  But there are some nuggets.  So wade, we do.

10 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

But isn't that a golden opportunity to join in and get some likes? 

Sure, if that's your objective.

I'd prefer information that improves the quality of my life in Thailand. And to share the information I have with others.

43 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Mine is. Not sure what percentage you need to receive to achieve that remarkable feat. What this site needs to have is also a dislike button to even it all out. 

As I recall there was a dislike button on TV posts some years ago. It caused all sorts of animosity and there was a successful campaign to have it removed.

Edited by chickenslegs
spelling

Just now, chickenslegs said:

AS i recall there was a dislike button on TV posts some years ago. It caused all sorts of animosity and there was a successful campaign to have it removed.

I guess it is the same reason FB doesn't have one, all hell would break lose. 

c70cad990c3a15b62919af74d44b92d77d7a5979bf240000e5e5458c479385a1.jpg

I think a cancel post button is required.my previous post which is blank is my way of "cache clearing in tv sense" sometimes I may go to quote someone and change my mind. I then find I cannot undo that and I am stuck in that proposed quote. I believe that's why we get a blank post from time to time. Sorry if this is common knowledge I'm still learning.

Us humans are a special kind of ape: We much rather be liked than disliked.

THIS IS TRUE

Look at all the old, ugly, beer bellied Farang coffin dodgers lurking around Pattaya. They all want to be liked (LOVED), by  22 year old farm girls from the Isaan.

Blimey ! That is not going to get me any "likes".

Cheers.

1 minute ago, swissie said:

THIS IS TRUE

Look at all the old, ugly, beer bellied Farang coffin dodgers lurking around Pattaya. They all want to be liked (LOVED), by  22 year old farm girls from the Isaan.

Cheers.

Yes, belittling old, ugly, beer bellied,  farang coffin dodgers lurking around Pattaya is going to guarantee you a like. Well played Sir.

3 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I think a cancel post button is required.my previous post which is blank is my way of "cache clearing in tv sense" sometimes I may go to quote someone and change my mind. I then find I cannot undo that and I am stuck in that proposed quote. I believe that's why we get a blank post from time to time. Sorry if this is common knowledge I'm still learning.

I am on  a Mac but just click on the empty field and hit your delete button. It should get rid of the field.

25 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

As I recall there was a dislike button on TV posts some years ago. It caused all sorts of animosity and there was a successful campaign to have it removed.

I think people were much more enthusiastic about recording their dislikes than they were about likes. And went for the poster rather than the post too. I don't think any of that needs to be displayed. Just seeing how many likes a particular post has got is fine.

On the other hand, we could abandon the vote for Poster of the Year. Just see who's 'reputation' is highest over the course of the year. 

32 minutes ago, swissie said:

THIS IS TRUE

Cheers.

Currently living in isaan. Best decision to date. When the holiday season approaches I notice a change. I stay in during these times. I understand your point but as it's derogatory to isaan people I dislike it. Lived on some beautiful islands but became full of people who talk about money. Lived in bkk was nice for a month then became rather boring. Malls and restaurants and not much else. Where I live I really love it but those holiday seasons bring a change but it is worth it. I'm about 12 stone 5,10, 80's child. 

The best thing to do is to not give a damn about likes and simply post what you like and which may be enjoyed or helpful to others. I mainly stick to the 'visa to other countries' forum section to help people out. If members and guests find any of my posts helpful, great. If they click and 'like' my posts is not important at all. Won't make me sleep any better or worse. 

Edit:  And yes many people too take 'likes' seriously. And even more so 'dislikes'. I am senior staff on a large forum and back in the day we had a like/dislike/reputation system. People would get very upset over negative points and even stop posting or ask us senior staff to get involved. Lots of drama. Sometimes because a person was simply too easily upset, other times because people would gang-rape (bully) a person with negative points.  Not worth it.  Also saw this on various blogs that disable negative points because it prevented people from submitting comments. 

Edited by Donutz