Observations about amount of posts that get liked.

anotheruser

1 minute ago, Donutz said:

The best thing to do is to not give a damn about likes and simply post what you like and which may be enjoyed or helpful to others. I mainly stick to the 'visa to other countries' forum section to help people out. If members and guests find any of my posts helpful, great. If they click and 'like' my posts is not important at all. Won't make me sleep any better or worse. 

I like this post.

24 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

Why does anyone care about how many "likes" they get?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You won't get any likes implying that posters are worried about their like count, even though it's bl**dy obvious that they do. default_goof.gif

PS. I did like your little "shrug shoulders" guy...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Got any more?

No idea how many likes i have or how many posts i have. Cant see in the Tapatalk app

Some poster told me he had 33 likes on a topic so his was more successful than mine.
I was of the mind he wrote in a way to be populist and get aome Likes..but each to their own.

I see some of the most intelligent and insightful posts on here get a few likes to the post while banal garbage gets twice the amount.

I was on this forum for a year before I realised that there was a like button. Who cares? Seriously?

I do hit the like button now and again now I know about it but only it if somebody provides some sound advice or provides help.

I was looking for that ignore button today could not find that on UI on android either. I do not get a leave and discard message warning either. I use the website I do not download anything.

Not many give a f uck about likes I hope unless your one of those tit for tat one line warriors.

Some of us aren't capable of producing an articulate sentence. But I agree, who cares.

So here is another twist, if you go to someones profile you can give them 1 to 5 stars; just to make them feel all warm and fuzzy.

(I just gave you 5 stars OP, and a "like")

Edit... The "star" function  is gone...

Edited by sipi

8 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

On the other hand, we could abandon the vote for Poster of the Year. Just see who's 'reputation' is highest over the course of the year. 

And miss out on a couple of weeks of blatant, soul shriveling pandering (and all the $$ clicks that go with it)?  

Not on your life.   Good idea, though.

Edited by impulse

On 9/9/2016 at 10:27 AM, anotheruser said:

You can get 30 likes per post with the most inane nonsense.

I could not agree with you more, and I gave you a "like"

PS: too bad I didn't have this reply earlier in the thread, I could have had 30 likes:lol:

Edited by sirineou

On 9/9/2016 at 9:34 AM, Donutz said:

The best thing to do is to not give a damn about likes and simply post what you like and which may be enjoyed or helpful to others. I mainly stick to the 'visa to other countries' forum section to help people out. If members and guests find any of my posts helpful, great. If they click and 'like' my posts is not important at all. Won't make me sleep any better or worse. 

Edit:  And yes many people too take 'likes' seriously. And even more so 'dislikes'. I am senior staff on a large forum and back in the day we had a like/dislike/reputation system. People would get very upset over negative points and even stop posting or ask us senior staff to get involved. Lots of drama. Sometimes because a person was simply too easily upset, other times because people would gang-rape (bully) a person with negative points.  Not worth it.  Also saw this on various blogs that disable negative points because it prevented people from submitting comments. 

Well said. Why do people care? Is it some sort of personal validation that some unknown person out there likes what you posted? If they want a measuring tool, they should use Agree or Disagree. The thread would show the poster what the audience really thinks versus it one-sided. As Anotheruser said a poster might get 5 likes but could also get 500 dislikes. That is the real measurement gauge to find out if a poster adds value to a forum IMHO. In fact it might encourage some good reads. But to your edit comment Donutz, people are strange in merit systems. People do not like it when people tell others they "Do not like it" or they "disagree". They might stop coming and posting if they can't post stupid stuff that only gets them likes. Its like FB. Its all set up to be loves, hugs, kisses and super feel goods. when in fact that is all smoke and mirrors and delusional.

I post what I feel is appropriate and is my opinion. I do however always try and post in a manner that is respectful and engaging and not one liners and  demeaning.  I also do not  post in every thread. I visit TV on and off as I am usually outside doing something or working. TV is not my # 1 form of passing the time, in fact its somewhere between 7 to 10 which would align with my post count and my years as a member

On 11/09/2016 at 3:52 AM, JAFO said:

Well said. Why do people care? Is it some sort of personal validation that some unknown person out there likes what you posted? If they want a measuring tool, they should use Agree or Disagree. The thread would show the poster what the audience really thinks versus it one-sided. As Anotheruser said a poster might get 5 likes but could also get 500 dislikes. That is the real measurement gauge to find out if a poster adds value to a forum IMHO. In fact it might encourage some good reads. But to your edit comment Donutz, people are strange in merit systems. People do not like it when people tell others they "Do not like it" or they "disagree". They might stop coming and posting if they can't post stupid stuff that only gets them likes. Its like FB. Its all set up to be loves, hugs, kisses and super feel goods. when in fact that is all smoke and mirrors and delusional.

I post what I feel is appropriate and is my opinion. I do however always try and post in a manner that is respectful and engaging and not one liners and  demeaning.  I also do not  post in every thread. I visit TV on and off as I am usually outside doing something or working. TV is not my # 1 form of passing the time, in fact its somewhere between 7 to 10 which would align with my post count and my years as a member

I have been wondering how anonymous subject creators could impact the site. Maybe it could gauge a few things? Even commentary could be anonymous for a time period? What impact may this have?