Living in Sala Daeng?

emgthailand

Quick walk to both the BTS and MRT. Tons of street food around, especially during the week. Lots of small restaurants in the area. Lumphini nearby if you like to jog. Decent hospital walkable. 

Biggest st drawback is you're surrounded by bad traffic areas. Also it's a very busy area. 

Like the previous reply, lots of food and close to transport.

There are many really great French and other restaurants as well as a small central mall.

The problem with living there is the night-life shenanigans go on late every night. And during holidays it can get very congested. Songkran and possibly others it's shut right down.

If ii wanted to live in that area, I'd probably choose Sathon.

My Mrs grew up in Sala Daeng in one of the old wooden houses that they used to have there before the tenants were all kicked out and the new buildings built. I used to walk through them sois with the old wooden houses many years ago when I was living in soi sri bamphen and had to go to the Bangkok bank on silom rd. I went down there in February this year and didn't recognise anything, there used to be a Chinese duck shop opposite the Bangkok bank on silom rd where I would always eat at when visiting the bank but that is no longer there now.

12 hours ago, MeHere said:

Like the previous reply, lots of food and close to transport.

There are many really great French and other restaurants as well as a small central mall.

The problem with living there is the night-life shenanigans go on late every night. And during holidays it can get very congested. Songkran and possibly others it's shut right down.

If ii wanted to live in that area, I'd probably choose Sathon.

I agree with you. I looked at Sala dang area when I first moved to Thailand. We didn't have the skytrain then so traffic was even worse. I ended up renting a place on Sathorn down near St. Josephs hospital. Just far enough but still close.  Plenty of great restaurant and shopping Villa, Tops etc.  also easy access to the express way. 

20 minutes ago, ericthai said:

I agree with you. I looked at Sala dang area when I first moved to Thailand. We didn't have the skytrain then so traffic was even worse. I ended up renting a place on Sathorn down near St. Josephs hospital. Just far enough but still close.  Plenty of great restaurant and shopping Villa, Tops etc.  also easy access to the express way. 

Totally agree.  Sathorn...Just far enough to get away from the noise but close enough to get to.

I have been in the Silom area near Sala Daeng for 10 years and luv it. Everything within walking distance, 3 private and one state hospital to chose from and lots of bars and restaurants. It has a much nicer and less congested feel than Suk, and lots of eye candy to watch going to work in the many offices. Lumphini park is the main draw for me here, and the only thing I miss is that there are no decent cinemas near by.

13 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

Sala Daeng / CBD are some of the nicest areas to live in. You don't see the kind of people you'd encounter on the lower Sukhumvit roads. More more families, educated, business people. 

I like it here.

The place I'm looking at is close to patpong. Even so you'd say it's OK to live there? Work is nearby which is why I'm considering this neighborhood. 

On 9/12/2016 at 10:11 PM, ericthai said:

I like that Sala daeng has bts and mrt and is close to work. That's the main reason I'm considering it. 

6 hours ago, emgthailand said:

The place I'm looking at is close to patpong. Even so you'd say it's OK to live there? Work is nearby which is why I'm considering this neighborhood. 

Some of Bangkok's most expensive condos are in the area. You won't see a lot or almost any of those figures , even on Silom road. 

6 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

Some of Bangkok's most expensive condos are in the area. You won't see a lot or almost any of those figures , even on Silom road. 

Some of the older condos in the Silom area are selling for more than 50 pc less than a new condo. My building is 20 year old but well maintained, selling units not much more than 100, 000 baht per metre.  New developments are selling for 200,000+ baht.