Local transport from Heathrow Airport

Denim

My wife and I are flying to the UK on Tuesday for the first time in many years and were hoping to take a local bus to Uxbridge.

However , seems you can no longer pay cash on the buses but have to have a travel card or Oyster card.  Looked on the net but can't seem to find whether they sell these cards at Heathrow Central bus station or anywhere else at Heathrow ?  Anybody know where these cards can be bought at terminal 2 .

Thanks in advance.

22 minutes ago, phetphet said:

In the ticket hall at the tube station, or some newsagents usually sell them. A bit of a bind to have to go all the way down to the tube station to buy one, but I think you can get to Uxbridge by tube anyway.

HTH

Thanks for that......will be arriving late ( 9.00 pm ) so as you say, a bit of a bind to have to go looking for one. No direct rail link to Uxbridge either.  Will probably take a taxi although they complain about short trips ( 7 miles )

Thanks again.......just leaving Petchabun now.

Thanks for the above two answers. Going to Uxbridge via Acton at 9.00 pm in the evening would be a bit convoluted and time consuming.

Being a full time resident in Thailand my credit card does not have the contactless symbol so looks like that won't work but thanks for the suggestion.

After searching the net using my hotels poor wifi it looks a lot easier to have a minicab take me the short 7 mile trip. I've booked it and it cost 19 pounds for a meet and greet driver who will be waiting as I exit customs.

Both Oyster and travelcard seem to have a minimum charge and as would have to buy two ( one for wife too ) it appears to come to more than the taxi.

I guess getting on a bus and paying the driver couple of quid was too low tech and so for everyone's security and convenience it is no longer acceptable.

Glad I live in Thailand ....... still low tech with this stuff called cash that is very popular with everyone here and to hell with the inconvenience.

19 hours ago, williewolf said:

You have to pay a deposit for it and when you leave the UK you get this plus any money left on the card refunded so dont worry about how much to put on it.

It's not that straightforward.  You can only get a maximum refund of GBP 10 credit at tube stations - except at Heathrow Terminal 5, which doesn't issue refunds.  More than that and you need to go to a TFL Visitor Centre, though the Visitor Centre at Gatwick doesn't issue refunds.  Plus the Visitor Centres have quite restricted hours.

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

After a long flight the Taxi with Meet and Great service is probably by far the easiest of options and by the time you arrive you may be very appreciative that you chose this option. 

UBER would also be a viable alternative to the Bus or Tube.

Not so sure I used to prebook from C.London via an online firm for a fixed fee between £42 and I £63 pending on Heathrow or gatwick. Last time same spot I took uber. £81 to Gatwick.  

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:16 PM, richard_smith237 said:

After a long flight the Taxi with Meet and Great service is probably by far the easiest of options and by the time you arrive you may be very appreciative that you chose this option. 

UBER would also be a viable alternative to the Bus or Tube.

Well we arrived at Heathrow Tuesday night and a miracle occurred. Going through immigration I asked if my wife could go with me through the UK channel. The answer was yes and we were directed through a rope channel that had no other passengers in it and so we both cleared immigration in 5 minutes flat !! First time in 40 years of traveling.

Unfortunately, this meant I was early for my booked taxi so we waited 50 minutes for him to turn up. He didn't so rather than wait longer we took the bus. Got two travel card tickets for 10 pounds. This was the rock bottom alternative for a one time bus ride. The actual fare is only 1.50 so I lost 7 pounds but was just happy to finally get to the hotel at 9.45 pm.

13 hours ago, Denim said:

Well we arrived at Heathrow Tuesday night and a miracle occurred. Going through immigration I asked if my wife could go with me through the UK channel. The answer was yes and we were directed through a rope channel that had no other passengers in it and so we both cleared immigration in 5 minutes flat !! First time in 40 years of traveling.

Unfortunately, this meant I was early for my booked taxi so we waited 50 minutes for him to turn up. He didn't so rather than wait longer we took the bus. Got two travel card tickets for 10 pounds. This was the rock bottom alternative for a one time bus ride. The actual fare is only 1.50 so I lost 7 pounds but was just happy to finally get to the hotel at 9.45 pm.

Good result - Previously travelling through LHR I was informed by the Immigration officer that as an EU Citizen it is our Legal Right to bring our Non-EU-Wife through the EU lane with us. 

However, when trying this at Manchester 6 months later I was told we couldn't. After complaining it was explained to me that different Airports have different regulations and it depends if the EU Immigration Booths are set up to receive Non-EU Citizens (i.e. have fingerprint scanners).

'Two Travel Card Tickets' - Do you mean the Oyster Card ?... IF so, you should be able to get a refund on the remaining value, plus the Card deposit returned upon returning the Card (at a station). 

^ Travel are tickets are the cheap alternative to Oyster. They are just card paper tickets unlike the credit card style oyster card.

In bed in a Manchester hotel right now. Fine city. Wifey likes it a lot. 68 pounds for our hotel compared to the 120 I had to pay at Travelodge near Heathrow. Seems that unlike Thailand, hotels don't have mini fridges. Had to pay for wifi and water too. Makes me appreciate our local hotels in Petchabun. 350 baht a night with fridge , water, wifi and free coffee.

On the road to Conwy and Snowdonia today. A bit cloudy compared to the last two days which have been 30C plus. Wifey not had to use her fur coat yet .:)

I use the Village hotels in the UK. Have booked two other hotels near Royal Leamington Spa, both with free bottled water, WIFI, Breakfast and Parking, one cost 81 GBP per night the other a bit more expensive but treat for her indoors.

https://www.village-hotels.co.uk/

Village also have great deals with an evening meal and breakfast sometimes, check their website link above.

43 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

I use the Village hotels in the UK. Have booked two other hotels near Royal Leamington Spa, both with free bottled water, WIFI, Breakfast and Parking, one cost 81 GBP per night the other a bit more expensive but treat for her indoors.

https://www.village-hotels.co.uk/

Village also have great deals with an evening meal and breakfast sometimes, check their website link above.

Will be staying in a pub in Shrewsbury tonight. That does have free wifi and full English included.

41 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

How you get from london to Manchester? 

Thetrainline.com

Tickets 80% less book 2 days in advance or earlier for best rates.

Central London v Manchester Central. 

No comparison hands down london will win  most mancs will be honest about that I reckon.

Luckily, good old mum left her little Citroen C2 at my aunties home near Heathrow so we drove up. Does about 60 to the gallon so pretty cheap.

About 10 years back I took National Express to Manchester for only a pound. Had to book in advance but unbeatable value back then.

41 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Most hotels have minufridges your in a budget hotel hence extra charges. Book via agoda or something and you may be able to grab a 4* for less than £68.

Yes we are on a budget so hotels like Travelodge you just get the basics. Spoke to my friend last night. He recently stayed at a Novotel in London for 180 a night. Still no fridge or water but did have free wifi and air conditioning. Been unseasonably hot here apparently.

On the road now for a long days driving and sightseeing.

9 minutes ago, Denim said:

Yes we are on a budget so hotels like Travelodge you just get the basics. Spoke to my friend last night. He recently stayed at a Novotel in London for 180 a night. Still no fridge or water but did have free wifi and air conditioning. Been unseasonably hot here apparently.

On the road now for a long days driving and sightseeing.

Understand you are budgeting denim I think any sensible person budgets. Just trying to widen your scope to find you the best deals from experience. I personally always use laterooms.com or agoda or booking.com for most hotel bookings. I inspect the reviews, information about facilities etc before booking. In UK this is very much the done thing. They got a phrase in uk/london about booking theatre tickets. Something along the lines of: a smart londoner never books theatre tickets at the theatre, something like that. I was recently in Staffordshire and needed a train to London. Booked train for £16 was a one way job. an oriental woman approached me as she unsure of correct station. First thing I did was inspect price on her ticket £97 return booked via the train operator. Showed her my ticket, she very disappointed  but she knows better now so it is onwards and upwards.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought people were repatriating because life in Thailand is "too dear" these days. Thinking of travel to the UK to see The Stranglers or maybe Crimson soon. Better off probably catching a show in the states. Hopefully the pound falls farther.

180 sterling to stay in a room with no fridge or water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

180 sterling to stay in a room with no fridge or water?

I think you'll find that most hotel rooms in the UK have something called "taps". though if you may possibly know them as "force-its" or possibly "spig-gots".  They conveniently provide free water.

I'm absolutely confident that if you're paying that much your room will have a "tap" - in fact, probably more than one.

As for a fridge, who needs one in the UK's generally frigid climate?

And if you really need ice, there's something called "room service" - available at all good hotels.  Perhaps they don't have this in your country?

(I always found it quite bizarre that American hotels, even the cheapest ones, had ice machines on every floor, the only purpose of which appears (based upon watching CSI) to be somewhere to stow dead bodies after murder.  Surely nobody would actually want to put such unhygienic ice in their drinks.  The congealed blood is really only appropriate for a "Bloody Mary".)

I don't drink tapwater and don't given"a toss" about ice. For 180 pounds I'd like to have at least a mini refrigerator to keeps some snacks and drinks cool. Wake up in a hot room to drink lukewarm flow from a tap, how do you know there isn't a dead roach or rat in the pipes? The rest of what you wrote is very amusing. Many countries hotels have free ice machines but In America I have had to move my room because there is a GIANT noisy ice machine across the hall. In decent countries like Japan the machine is behind a closed door.