Penang Thai Consualate

They are still a good place to get an SETV (assuming you do not have several from there already). For the first couple of SETVs from Penang, just photos, 50 MYR visa fee and completed application form. Usually, it is easiest to use an agent. This avoids two trips to the rather out-of-the-way consulate. An agent (as opposed to sub agent) should cost 30 MYR.

15 minutes ago, BritTim said:

. An agent (as opposed to sub agent) should cost 30 MYR.

Can you recommemd an agent, or even better share any contact details (by PM), I will need a NON O Multi (not until Feb) and have been told an agent can get this but I don't have any contact details to confirm this, another poster that said it was possible but did not reply back yet. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

On what basis are you applying for a Multiple Entry Non 'O' Visa? If it's marriage you might be better off applying at the Consulate in Savannakhet, Laos.

Yes marriage, been a couple of times already to Savan but penang is so much nearer than Savan, see my other post , its suggested an agent can get a Non O multi based on marriage in Penang (at a price) if true could be worth it, was  just considering options as not due again until Feb.

3 minutes ago, alphason said:

Yes marriage, been a couple of times already to Savan but penang is so much nearer than Savan, see my other post , its suggested an agent can get a Non O multi based on marriage in Penang (at a price) if true could be worth it, was  just considering options as not due again until Feb.

I got a multi non-O (marriage) in June.  I used Jim's Place (google Jim's Place Penang for details).  Needed THB 400K in the bank plus the normal copies of marriage certificate, wife's ID, etc.  Easy.

39 minutes ago, alphason said:

It's possible in Penang as long as you've got 400K in the bank. I think the agents there are more about convenience than a way to beat the system, but they are cheap and worth it.

I do recall a report from someone claiming to have only been issued a single entry because it was their first application in Penang. Not sure if that's Penang policy or that there was a problem with that persons application.

If you've got 400K in the bank it's probably better to get a 1 year extension of stay from Immigration and use re-entry permits if you need to travel. If not, Savannahket still don't require any financials.

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

It's possible in Penang as long as you've got 400K in the bank. I think the agents there are more about convenience than a way to beat the system, but they are cheap and worth it.

I do recall a report from someone claiming to have only been issued a single entry because it was their first application in Penang. Not sure if that's Penang policy or that there was a problem with that persons application.

If you've got 400K in the bank it's probably better to get a 1 year extension of stay from Immigration and use re-entry permits if you need to travel. If not, Savannahket still don't require any financials.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you know if they will accept the equivalent in a non Thai (uk) Bank?

14 minutes ago, alphason said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you know if they will accept the equivalent in a non Thai (uk) Bank?

Yes, unless they changed that when they increased the financial requirement from 100K to 400K.

Here the number for Jim's place. +60 4-261 8731. If you call them they should be able to tell you what's currently required.

• Like 2

This was about a single entry tourist visa until it got derailed.

OP wants some info. Please lets it get back on topic.

Penang is a good place to get a single entry tourist visa. Many people have gotten them there.

No ticket or financial proof.needed. Just your passport and the application form.

• Like 2

Hi Guys

Whats the cost?

How many photos?

Photocopy of details page ONLY or entry/exit stamp 

Can i print off the Application form for a SETV (Single Entry Tourist Visa)

How long did you have to queue?

Which bus did you take from Komtar and alighted where?

Thanks guys

Edited by Finlaco

For an SETV, the cost is 50 MYR. Two photos. I let an agent deal with photocopies and provide me an application form.

The queuing is usually not too bad, but is out in the open under a hot sun. Also, unless you want to use taxis (much more expensive for two return trips than using an agent) getting there involves a combination of public bus and walking. Good agents are available for 30 MYR. Use one.

There are multiple bus options. Whichever you take, you will be faced with a walk of a kilometre or so after getting off the bus. If you insist on doing this, make sure you have a map of where you are going (or a reliable smart phone app).

Edited by BritTim
Add bus comments

Hi OP just got back fromPenang SETV fee is 150 MYR ( so it states on the visa) I went to Jims place and he did the lot for 190 MYR including the visa fee

really simple hand in passport two photos and photocopy of passport details page first thing in morning to him and return next day after 230 to collect. All you have to do is enjoy Penang!

• Like 1