Advantage to car purchase at auto show?

csabo

• 5 weeks later...

I've been to the last 4 auto shows while car shopping, and wound up buying from a dealer outside the show.

What the show is really useful for is comparing cars; there's no better place to sit in multiple competing vehicles one after the other, or to compare little details - for example, I brought a backpack and umbrella and used it to compare cargo space. I folded various seats to see how easy they were to fold and unfold. I moved my feet around the pedal area to see how much room there was to stretch, and bounced up and down in the seat for headroom. This is all doable at separate dealers, but it's hard to keep a fresh impression in your mind that way. At the show you just walk to the next booth and compare. I went back and forth between booths about 5x at the last show before I bought.

They also have a little test drive area where if you show you're a serious buyer, they'll take you out and let you drive on a very basic test track they have coned off. The reps at the show are reps for various dealers, so ask them for their current promos, then call around and ask other dealers using the promo as your starting point. That's what I wound up doing and I beat the show promo price by another ~50k.

Sam

If this is the first new car you will be purchasing  in Thailand then be sure to ask the dealer about the various "freebies" they can give you.     The best being the first year insurance free.     Others  usually offered, if you ask, are window tinting, floor mats,  service discounts, pillows, key chains, umbrellas, etc.