Forum upgrade in progress! ×

'HELL ON EARTH': Brit traveller spent nightmare week in cockroach-infested Thai prison because handwash leaked on his passport

webfact

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, sambum said:

"because they let him in on a doggy passport"

If they let him in on a "doggy" passport they deserve to be getting a slapping! 

Did they!!!???? When was the passport damaged??????

Plus look at the picture of the damage just in the middle yes!!!funny that page has a plastic film over it.but no damage on edges of his????

33 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Plus look at the picture of the damage just in the middle yes!!!funny that page has a plastic film over it.but no damage on edges of his????

Well, if you check the other side of the page there is no plastic, so any stain on that side will show on the picture side under the plastic as well.

Remember the plastic is there to stop tampering, not to stop stains from the other side of the page.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Not quite so I agree mostly but to allow him to fly to another country with a very real possibility of being refused entry again, plus they were doing there job as the passport could easily have been a con job. If anyone is at fault it's him and the british embassy. Him for not taking more care with passport and embassy sitting on there fat backsides for so long.

In fairness to the embassy  ( consular ) staff it may have taken three days to verify his passport.  Unless the consulate has access to the master database - unlikely as I would hope that it is a securely held document - then we are in the realms of emailing the UK office to confirm his identity, waiting for them to reply before returning to spring him 

Given that it has recently taken a UK government department  12 weeks to reply to an email from me, 3 days is quite good.

59 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Well, if you check the other side of the page there is no plastic, so any stain on that side will show on the picture side under the plastic as well.

Remember the plastic is there to stop tampering, not to stop stains from the other side of the page.

Not getting into a spitting match it ain't worth it. As it stands he's out going to UK getting a new passport and is coming back so that says to me he ain't that pee'd off about things. Would still like to know when this hand gel incident happened.

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Did they!!!???? When was the passport damaged??????

Oh, lighten up please!

Read my post again - it was a dig at the spelling, and I was imagining them being let in with a passport containing a photograph of a DOG!!! :-

"If they let him in on a "doggy" passport they deserve to be getting a slapping! "

P.S.:-

Page One_575

30 minutes ago, sambum said:

Oh, lighten up please!

Read my post again - it was a dig at the spelling, and I was imagining them being let in with a passport containing a photograph of a DOG!!! :-

"If they let him in on a "doggy" passport they deserve to be getting a slapping! "

P.S.:-

Page One_575

Are you barking mad can I have my hook back please.

32 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

33 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

So many questions (with question marks and exclamation marks) in your previous post to illustrate your strong feelings on the matter, yet not one in this one! You can keep my hook! 

47 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:
3 hours ago, sambum said:

Bored now!!!!!!??????? Is that better 

How do you do that? 3 hours ago you got me to say "Bored now!!!!!?????? Is that better"

(P.S. Should be a "?" after "better!)

10 hours ago, Jools said:

You really have to wonder when Western diplomats will grow a pair of testicles and tell the Thais that they either conform to western standards or forfeit the millions we send them in foreign aid.

So would that apply to all counties or only Thailand.  if I was in government and a western twit told me how to run my country he/sshe would be given a one way ticket home.  That's the problem with the word today, western powers interfering.  Just look at Syria, Libya, Iraq, need I go on?:wai:

5 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

if I was in government and a western twit told me how to run my country he/sshe would be given a one way ticket home.  That's the problem with the word today, western powers interfering.  Just look at Syria, Libya, Iraq, need I go on?:wai:

Obviously you believe that just because a country is "sovereign" that they should be allowed to behave in any manner they wish with no protest by the people who are being abused. The USA pours millions in aid into Thailand for various reasons. By your reckoning, Saudi Arabia and North Korea should be allowed to act insanely  with no comment from the rest of the world.

11 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Manner of dress is very important.  I was once denied an interview at a university in Thailand because I was dressed similarly.  Live and learn!  Dress neatly when you travel in SE Asia!

quite true, it is,quite rightly, considered an insult to dress like that going for an interview of any kind, it tells the person interviewing you that they aren't important enough for you to dress well, look at the way many farangs dress for an extension of stay at immigration and moan about poor treatment, flip flops and vests, not even a tee shirt sometimes, unshaven and probably unwashed with a can of chang in the hand, they disgust me.

I'm sorry I just can't get over this headline- 'HELL ON EARTH' and yet when we see the photos we see floor mats that look rather comfortable, a clean floor and some fellow detainees sitting on the bunk beds with our man who looks very pleased with himself as if he's about to make an attempt on Everest with some sherpas.

Oh I forgot: ' Mummy, you won't believe this, it was absolute hell.There wasn't one cockroach mummy, no mummy, you won't believe it, they were actually two!' Mummy help me please!'

Long pants and shirt with a collar for extension of stay applications. The only comfort I demand is a short sleeve shirt. That is probably not enough for the arrogant elite at Immigration. I just do what they tell me to do, including an unnecessary trip to Laos for an O visa when they could have converted my tourist visa. The lazy sods at Bangkok apparently need at least a month to process something this simple. What a pack of useless scum, masquerading as "public servants". They make me want to puke.

Sometimes its just fun to read the comments here and the bickering.

His bag was stolen when he was detained. He was in detention for 6 days.

His first photos are not wearing those clothes. They are locked in a windowless room with 35 people must be hot.

Therefore without belongings etc. It is a little biased to judge him on his clothes in detention as if he was going for a job interview.

Donald Trump is going to get the Mexicans to pay for the wall. (In reference to those above saying we should withhold aid.)

Do you know how he will do it? Read his website there is actually a policy. The news wont tell you.  First step stop remittances from USA to mexico by mexicans sending money home unless the govt agrees to pay for the wall. Charge big fees for visas.  Bluster bluster.

I bet Gav got back on a Friday evening so the embassy boys were out playing golf or playing tennis. As if there are not several Englishmen a day in Thailand who need urgent help and maybe only 1 staff member to deal with all the lost passports, accidents etc.

The whole story is just a warning to make sure your passport is not damaged and let that be a lesson to you that one day someone may get excited though you have to be unlucky because he got past 6 immigration checkpoints of which 4 were in Thailand before getting hassled.

Some of the photos above are pixelated to cover his exact identity date of birth etc. The only real damage was on his photo making it hard to confirm identity.

It could happen to anyone of you but for the Grace of God, or other lucky circumstances.

14 hours ago, Jools said:

Long pants and shirt with a collar for extension of stay applications. The only comfort I demand is a short sleeve shirt. That is probably not enough for the arrogant elite at Immigration. I just do what they tell me to do, including an unnecessary trip to Laos for an O visa when they could have converted my tourist visa. The lazy sods at Bangkok apparently need at least a month to process something this simple. What a pack of useless scum, masquerading as "public servants". They make me want to puke.

You certainly have a way with words.  Six lines, five of them articulating how you  really feel about immigration. Do you think this would come across when you are dealing with them?  These people are just doing their job and if they detain someone then there must be a reason for doing so.   Is Fate getting what you deserve, or deserving what you get:wai:

4 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

You certainly have a way with words.  Six lines, five of them articulating how you  really feel about immigration. Do you think this would come across when you are dealing with them.These people are just doing their job and if they detain someone then there must be a reason for doing so.   Is Fate getting what you deserve, or deserving what you get:wai:

Thai incompetence is world famous and even joked about by Embassy personnel. The reason I was detained is because they simply did not know the law. Once they realized that I did not need my original passport, but only a copy. I was released. You strain to prove me the culprit here but fail miserably. They simply wasted several hours of my time and theirs.

21 hours ago, Jools said:

Obviously you believe that just because a country is "sovereign" that they should be allowed to behave in any manner they wish with no protest by the people who are being abused. The USA pours millions in aid into Thailand for various reasons. By your reckoning, Saudi Arabia and North Korea should be allowed to act insanely  with no comment from the rest of the world.

They're your words, not mine.  Abuse is never sanctioned but America condones the nefarious activities carried out by Saudi Arabia, who fund ISIS and other terrorist organisations, why, maybe oil?  Very little said by rest of the world in respect to this mob.  North Korea have nothing to offer and their abnormal behaviour can never be accepted but can you compare  them to Thailand, don't think so.

18 minutes ago, Jools said:

Thai incompetence is world famous and even joked about by Embassy personnel. The reason I was detained is because they simply did not know the law. Once they realized that I did not need my original passport, but only a copy. I was released. You strain to prove me the culprit here but fail miserably. They simply wasted several hours of my time and theirs.

Had no idea you were detained, I was referring to the Brit, who is the subject of this thread. Trying to prove you were the culprit, nothing of the sort, you read too much into things but given this response it explains everything.  Thanks for the clarification. :wai:

Archived