Video: Bag snatchers caught on tape - but who are the smiling men who stole from a foreigner?

webfact

Video:  Bag snatchers caught on tape - but who are the smiling men who stole from a foreigner?

p5.jpg

Image: Manager Online

BANGKOK: -- A video of a bag snatch from a foreigner on CCTV is doing the rounds of social media.

The incident occurred in Silom Soi 3 (Soi Phiphat) near the Bangkok Bank head office. Two men on a motorcycle can be seen clearly riding up the soi, reported Manager Online

Seeing a foreign man casually strolling with a bag under his arm they clearly see their chance, turn back and grab the man's property.

They then flee as the man makes a fruitless chase.

It happened on Sunday morning.

The video was posted on Facebook on the "Prajya Phil Aura-Ek" page and is taken from CCTV.

There were no details of police action in the story.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-13

That certainly highlights the need to be ware of any 'dudes' on a scooter who pay special attention to you while walking alone. 

The bike clearly swerved a little toward the victim in their previous drive-by.

Have had one friend have this happen 2 or 3 times all near Asoke....pretty low-life really.

3 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Carry your bag on the inside ! They always pick the easier target. The amount of times I have to tell my Mrs this.

+1 on that .

Always tell them try keep valuable items in pocket (ie don't put a 25,000Bt iphone in your bag, if got money split it and keep bulk in secure pocket then losing a bag or handing over smaller amount of cash not a big deal .

Saw a thai lady robbed in on-nut near a friends condo, had nasty cut back & upper arm where slashed bag strap with large knife . 3 of us chased bike and almost had him as stopped taxi slowed his getaway .

took almost 45 minutes get police & ambulance on scene, police really not interested, even had reg of bike, bike model & reasonable description of rider.

Cost us money as had do two trips to police station over it & not even a smile for trying help.

I would love set these guys up with explosives in handbags  and video that for youtube ...

This happens all the time in Bangkok! Daily but not newsworthy because no video. Often they have knives too and one will get off the bike and threaten with knife and use it too. Mostly soft targets, women, old people but anyone is game depending on the purps. I know someone who was shot dead for it a year ago. Just give them what they want or be prepared for extreme violence.

1 hour ago, pogal said:

This happens all the time in Bangkok! Daily but not newsworthy because no video. Often they have knives too and one will get off the bike and threaten with knife and use it too. Mostly soft targets, women, old people but anyone is game depending on the purps. I know someone who was shot dead for it a year ago. Just give them what they want or be prepared for extreme violence.

Isn't it just another sad indication of how some of the Thais in the "Land of Smiles" have become in their attitude to, and treatment of "farangs"?

For sure, this type of "bag snatch" incident is not exclusive to Thailand, but by virtue of the number of motor bikes on the road, it happens here more frequently - I don't know the statistics for say, Vietnam, or Cambodia.

I have been living here for more than 10 years now, and apart from the increase in violence toward visitors (which can not all be explained away by the advent of more sophisticated media involvement, hence we hear about these incidents more), but going off topic, the attitude of figures in authority, and the constant changes to Rules and Regulations (at Immigration for instance) seem to be custom made to make things more difficult (especially) for ex pats who have decided to live here. Also, the way that the R & R's are interpreted differently at different Immigration Offices is extremely frustrating!

Edited by sambum
Additional text

1 hour ago, pogal said:

Yep. A friend was eating at a street food place with two other girls. Guy rode up and tried to snatch her bag. When she didn't let go he produced a knife and luckily only cut the straps she was hanging onto. Never put your bags on a spare chair girls.

When such things happen they rely on most people freezing which is usually the case. A relative in the UK knocked a handbag snatcher off his bike and detained him till the police came. He's a soldier who served in Bosnia, Serbia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan and so reacts instinctively and knows what to do. Most people don't and that's what these scum bags rely on. 

I spend most of my time in Thailand in Isaan in the country, I have never heard or seen anything remotely like this. 

I now live in Negros Occidental in the Philippines and the attitude of the Immigration here is so business like and welcoming, it is in stark contrast to the Thai experience.

49 minutes ago, PattayaBoy said:

Happened to me outside my condo. Thai pulled gun on me and stole backpack with laptop.

Police never contacted me after doing report and thier media show.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

wow didn't know something so dramatic happened to you. Where is your condo located?

I think ppl let down their guard too much in thailand. It's pretty safe overall especially compared to certain western cities and other developing countries like say the entire african continent/central/south america/certain south east asian neighbouring countries etc BUT that doesn't mean that crime doesn't exist. I doubt that violent crime occurs that much in Thailand more like crime of an opportunistic nature. Snatch theft/pick pocketing/petty theft probably make up the bulk of crime and they usually occur when the target is unaware of his surroundings/ too lost in his own world/is too careless with his belongings etc and these types of crimes could occur in any part of the world even the safest ones.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Yep. A friend was eating at a street food place with two other girls. Guy rode up and tried to snatch her bag. When she didn't let go he produced a knife and luckily only cut the straps she was hanging onto. Never put your bags on a spare chair girls.

When such things happen they rely on most people freezing which is usually the case. A relative in the UK knocked a handbag snatcher off his bike and detained him till the police came. He's a soldier who served in Bosnia, Serbia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan and so reacts instinctively and knows what to do. Most people don't and that's what these scum bags rely on. 

Since there are so many eateries on the streets where vehicles pass by it's not safe to place one's belongings there. It would be safer if the eatery was say far from the street and there are so many eating places where a vehicle cannot pass by and the food is cleaner too no need to breathe in the bad air from passing vehicles. It's just that people tend to let their guard down momentarily and become careless and i am sure it happens to the majority of ppl everywhere and only the truly paranoid person would always be in high alert every single time of the day.

Hopefully readers of this thread should keep this in mind. Just ensure you take care of your belongings, be alert of your surroundings etc.

I think a grenade with string tied to the pin and wrist, or at least one of those security gadgets that blast their faces with paint when the bag is opened  is what is required.

Until the police get their act together that is.

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

This happens every single day in large citis in America. I have lived most of adult life in Chicago and Ft.Lauderdale Fl. Every day occurrence.  Much saFer here in Thailand 

It's amazing that this occurs in the US and some other western countries cities and still the US and the rest is looked upon as a land full of milk and honey.

2 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

This happens every single day in large citis in America. I have lived most of adult life in Chicago and Ft.Lauderdale Fl. Every day occurrence.  Much saFer here in Thailand 

Don't want to argue with you or anybody else I lived in Australia for 40 years (Perth) I have never have endured a crime in all 

those years, having lived in Thailand for 3 years I have been broking in to 2 times, stolen all my tools and so on, burned down one of my units

and my wife got assaulted twice