Dowry 101 from a Thai lady herself

cheapskatesam

There's  alot of misconceptions about the Dowry.. but i found an interesting piece from a ladies thai dating profile. I wish to share

#If you loved me and wanted to marry me . Please go to learn about the culture of Thailand .( I'm honest and fair, If you do not admit it to pass!) ok?
#If I want my money I will not explain about the dowry.Ok?( Do not ask questions that not smart! If you do not know me well enough)
## I explain the term " dowry " to farang some with bad attitudes are. 
-Thailand 's marriage must have a dowry.
-You know the " dowry "?
-Thailand Cultural dowry is not a buy or sale,Ok?
-Dowry is to show the parents of the bride . That the groom has financial stability .
And able to care for the bride.
-It's up to you how much to give dowry .
-Dowry not buying sex with sleeping ok?
-Dowry is not buying prostitutes to sleep, ok?

Each country differences
I know farang not dowry. But Thailand has a dowry.
It is like a farang must eat "bread" but Thailand must eat" rice ".
" Please do not insult the culture of another country. If you do not like or are not satisfied Because It makes you look nasty.
If you understand it, it means you are smart!!!

Shove yer dowry up yer rse It aint culture its GREED, I didnt  pay and would never pay even if  she was miss world..................tell u what in my culture. which of  course you should meet  me  half way with  it's not accept  all Thai, and no accept falang culture, you'll have to also support my parents, theyll need about £100 a week each minimum............form an orderly queue girls

"if  u understand  it your smart" kin hilarious!!

Edited by kannot

So this is accept our ways and be smart, else be stupid.

What other 'cultural' things are we expected to bend to, corruption in officialdom, bribery.

Surely I can display my financial stability in other ways than giving it away.

Let us consider the culture of the West too.

I got baited.....

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, malcoml said:

How stupid am I.....

There I was thinking my BMW , Mercedes Benz, 1.5 million dollar share portfolio, and 300k a year job was enough to show the parents I had the stability to support their daughter.

Exactly! And that is my ongoing discussion I currently have with my mature GF. No way that I will show a single Satang on a wedding party, if ever any. Any if daddy needs a show up for the family and neighbours, I have no problem if he shows up his own money on the plate. Thai culture with first world benefits, my ass! 

10 hours ago, pigeonjake said:

i was just going to say the same,

they join and bring up the same <deleted> we taked about

:lol: Maybe they did a search before posting topic because upgrade maybe not working,  l still get a laugh with replies to these what seem to be newbie topics though.

dowry/sin sod is a face saving tool, marriage is due to love for each other, not how much money you can give her. For many thais it is simply about face, they want to show it off to their friends/neighbors, they do not even care about how they couple feel about each other as long as they can make themselves look good. People like the woman that posted that crap are the type you never want to marry as they are not looking for a person to love but simply want access to a good bank account so they can buy what they want.

Well, I'll be marrying my girlfriend in the new year. She knows I've barely got tuppence to rub together and she said there's no point in bothering with dowry or 'sin sod'. Her parents have a nice house and sell the fruit they grow. On top of that, they have seven kids, each sending them 2,000 baht every month. So it seems a dowry is not always something that needs to be paid.

When I first read about sin sod, I think it was here on TV: someone said that an unmarried girl, with a university education, could command anywhere between 200-400K baht as a dowry. Well, she's unmarried and has two degrees and doesn't want a penny.

I'm not sure if it has any cultural significance, but she's Thai, not Isaan or Lao. I often feel that there are many cultural differences between Isaan and central Thailand - whether sin sod is one of them, I don't know. 

40 minutes ago, lookforzeros said:

Well, I'll be marrying my girlfriend in the new year. She knows I've barely got tuppence to rub together and she said there's no point in bothering with dowry or 'sin sod'. Her parents have a nice house and sell the fruit they grow. On top of that, they have seven kids, each sending them 2,000 baht every month. So it seems a dowry is not always something that needs to be paid.

When I first read about sin sod, I think it was here on TV: someone said that an unmarried girl, with a university education, could command anywhere between 200-400K baht as a dowry. Well, she's unmarried and has two degrees and doesn't want a penny.

I'm not sure if it has any cultural significance, but she's Thai, not Isaan or Lao. I often feel that there are many cultural differences between Isaan and central Thailand - whether sin sod is one of them, I don't know. 

Good for you and I hope that you will both be very happy.

In the west we have pension schemes that we are forced to pay into and our Governments provide support where needed (sometimes LOL).

In Thailand, the general population don't get pensions.

Their pensions are their children.

Thai men will borrow money to pay the dowry. It's what they do.

If you want to Marry a Thai, why should you not do the same as the Thais do?

The daughter you marry has an obligation to support her parents and even siblings, to repay the generosity of the parents care in bringing them up. It's what they do.

Thais have strong family ties and look after each other. You are not so much marrying a woman as marrying a family.

Your Thai wife will likely regard her family as No. 1 and you second or third.... Again, it's what they do.

In the west we are brought up to be independent, even when married we still retain an air of independence. It's what we do.

Not to mention that should we later on divorce, the settlement may be rather more than a Thai Sin Sod lol

Edited by laislica
Spelling