Feral dog problem in Hua Hin

stander

I have been cycling in and around Hua Hin on and off road regularly since 1983, but unfortunately, it is now quite unpleasant with the amount of vicious feral dogs.

One particular route I use was always relatively dog free, but now there are expats feeding the dogs and yesterday using a rough estimate I would say there are now upwards of 60 dogs on the 5km stretch of the road.

I get harassed by these vicious feral dogs almost continuously on this 5km stretch and the other day I was bitten on the heal of my cycling shoe.

The feral dog problem in Hua Hin is mostly down to the expat community. Back in the 80’s/90’s there was no problem, but now there is little doubt the increase of the expat community and the rise in feral dogs is directly proportional.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plenty of Thais feed the dogs as well and i'm sure the Tessaban employ people to feed them

To just blame Ex Pats is simply wrong although I agree some Ex Pats do feed them

I also agree that it is getting out of control, maybe you should take your concerns to the Tessaban?

I have taken my concerns to the Tessaban and they have taken action to rid my area of these feral vermin.

The issue on the cycling route falls outwith the Tessaban and I will contact the local headman and if necessary sponsor a cull 

7 hours ago, stander said:

I have taken my concerns to the Tessaban and they have taken action to rid my area of these feral vermin.

The issue on the cycling route falls outwith the Tessaban and I will contact the local headman and if necessary sponsor a cull 

I think you may find there will be no cull, someone who has been here as long as you have should know that would be against Buddhist religion and if you do sponsor said cull you are as feral as the dogs

They will probably be taken to the Temple

Just to prove a point that it is not the Ex Pats causing the issue, I am the only Ex Pat in my area, there must be 40 street  dogs in this area, I don't feed them so it obviously not the Ex Pats causing the issue

If these are federal dogs, why not contact the federal government in Bangkok? Surely, they will take responsibility for their dogs. Do the federal dogs have some kind of tags to differentiate them from the garden variety soi dogs? The military might not take kindly to your harming one of their federal dogs.

There is an abundance of "soi dogs" in Thailand, but I have never seen them as a serious nuisance, and generally feel sorry for them and their very poor living/health conditions. And the foreigners (and Thais) who feed them are kind and warm-hearted people, but there may be a downside to their kindness. And the temples offer a place of refuge and minimal care. I keep away from them (and keep my children away) out of disease concerns, but I applaud those that go out of their way and spend their money to help these poor animals. I suggest respectfully that you learn to live with them -- a bite on your shoe doesn't sound like a major catastrophe, but I do agree that a bite that breaks the skin would be a concern.

Oh, "feral" dogs -- never mind ..... :wai2:

2 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Why dont you contact the Dog shelter they maybe able to help you. They take in stray dogs. 

i have been through the getting rid of stray dogs problem in jomtien. animal shelters are now refusing to take any more dogs. they care for them (sort of) rather than putting them down.  in my area it took a few people getting bitten before the dogs disappeared. i still dont know who took care of the problem as it was done in without anyone knowing. 

1 hour ago, bluebluewater said:

Yes indeed.   Those damn foreigners are causing problems again.   What else could it be?

have seen the same western lady feeding strays on jomtien beach. i want to go tell her to stop but of course i keep out of it as i doubt she will listen to me. thais foreigners what does it matter. feeding them is a large part of the problem. not eradicating them is the other half.

1 hour ago, Thailaw said:

If these are federal dogs, why not contact the federal government in Bangkok? Surely, they will take responsibility for their dogs. Do the federal dogs have some kind of tags to differentiate them from the garden variety soi dogs? The military might not take kindly to your harming one of their federal dogs.

There is an abundance of "soi dogs" in Thailand, but I have never seen them as a serious nuisance, and generally feel sorry for them and their very poor living/health conditions. And the foreigners (and Thais) who feed them are kind and warm-hearted people, but there may be a downside to their kindness. And the temples offer a place of refuge and minimal care. I keep away from them (and keep my children away) out of disease concerns, but I applaud those that go out of their way and spend their money to help these poor animals. I suggest respectfully that you learn to live with them -- a bite on your shoe doesn't sound like a major catastrophe, but I do agree that a bite that breaks the skin would be a concern.

Oh, "feral" dogs -- never mind ..... :wai2:

How long have you been living here????

"I have never seen them as a serious nuisance"

You must have selectively ignored the kids who have been mauled, the report that said up to 50% are infected with rabies, the regular threads on TV about dogs attacking pedestrians and cyclists, the scavenging for food in waste dumps, dogs lying around in front of shops.

23 hours ago, stander said:

What action did they take and has it been effective?

15 hours ago, darrendsd said:

I think you may find there will be no cull, someone who has been here as long as you have should know that would be against Buddhist religion

Just as using rat poison to kill rats, mosquito spray to kill mosquito, cockroach traps to kill cockroaches is! All available at your Buddhist friendly local store or 7-11.

Animal is animal.

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

What action did they take and has it been effective?

I contacted the Hua Hin Municipality’s Public Health and Environment Division at tel. 032 532 433.

They came within a day or so and within a few days, the dogs were gone.

totally agree with stander.........i have ridden bicycles for many years now.....mainly when I lived in Spain, which is totally perfect for bikes.....also rode ok in Chiang Mai.....but here in Hua Hin, it is ridiculous.....there are so many of the bloody things.  I got attacked 4 times on one bike ride.....luckily never bitten, but the fourth attack had me off my bike when the bloody thing ran into my front wheel.....unfortunately there were no cars coming when it sprinted across the road to get me. Over the handlebars i went with lovely road rash as a result......so anyone want to buy a Trek Race bike, 15k, give me a shout.

weird, i ride 10-20km most days in hua hin, all over town and hin lek fai area and have never been attacked by dogs however i see and pass many on my rides.

i like dogs a lot though.. maybe they are picking up the bad feelings towards them? kind of like how they "smell fear" - or is that just a myth?

who knows.. hope you find a solution :thumbsup:

Edited by GeorgeCross

17 hours ago, natway09 said:

I need a short calibre 38 rifle fitted with a cyclic silencer.

Too expensive for ammo, .177 pellet gun is just as effective, top of the head.......there was a time in Thailand that 'culling' was accepted, especially back in the 80's when an epidemic of rabies in Sattahip broke out............literally hundreds of dogs were capped and burned.

19 hours ago, stander said:

I contacted the Hua Hin Municipality’s Public Health and Environment Division at tel. 032 532 433.

They came within a day or so and within a few days, the dogs were gone.

Thank you for answering. So the Hua Hin Municipality’s Public Health and Environment Division deemed the dogs should not be there harassing pedestrians and motorists alike and removed them. I have had the same reaction from Pattaya's Public Health department. Good to see Thailand's officials taking a stance against out of control stray dogs.

5 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Too expensive for ammo, .177 pellet gun is just as effective, top of the head.......there was a time in Thailand that 'culling' was accepted, especially back in the 80's when an epidemic of rabies in Sattahip broke out............literally hundreds of dogs were capped and burned.

In the 80's early 90's it was not an uncommon sight in Hua Hin to see a pick-up laden with dead dogs that had been culled, and no one batted an eyelid 

On 9/17/2016 at 10:15 AM, stander said:

In the 80's early 90's it was not an uncommon sight in Hua Hin to see a pick-up laden with dead dogs that had been culled, and no one batted an eyelid 

The instant internet has enabled every opinion with a vocal ar5ehole to get involved.

The vast majority of people would love to see the soi dogs destroyed and taken off the streets. Democracy has been destroyed by the "rights" of the minorities.

3 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

The instant internet has enabled every opinion with a vocal ar5ehole to get involved.

The vast majority of people would love to see the soi dogs destroyed and taken off the streets. Democracy has been destroyed by the "rights" of the minorities.

And the award for stupidest post of the day goes to .......

Did people did not have opinions before the Internet came along?

The vast majority of People would love to see the Soi dogs destroyed, really? How do you know that?

You are stating that people would, that's your opinion, I say they wouldn't, that's my opinion,  that's how Democracy works just in case you don't understand

22 hours ago, darrendsd said:

And the award for stupidest post of the day goes to .......

Did people did not have opinions before the Internet came along?

The vast majority of People would love to see the Soi dogs destroyed, really? How do you know that?

You are stating that people would, that's your opinion, I say they wouldn't, that's my opinion,  that's how Democracy works just in case you don't understand

People have always had opinions, that is not what I am saying. Before the internet there were various dog culls, but only those in the locality knew about it and it was not publicised to the planet. I never heard a single complaint when the dogs were taken off the streets. Now if it happens, then some blasted dog hugger in Europe can start a "Save the Soi dogs" campaign.

Now we have harsher penalties for kicking a soi dog than knifing a human. Ridiculous.

To make it clear maybe I should start a poll?

Do you see the feral soi dog population as

1. just right?

2. too large?

3. too small?

Somehow I think that option 1 and 3 are not going to win.

On 9/15/2016 at 0:06 AM, stander said:

Your polemic seems to be motivated more for lecturing people and provoking a reaction, It seems to me the poor condition of the roads and the  dangerous driving practices should be of greater concern. Do be careful on your bicycle as I am sure someone might care.

Edited by geriatrickid

On 9/18/2016 at 1:50 AM, 12DrinkMore said:

You are upset and offer an outlandish statement.  You cannot  have your way, so you claim that democracy has been destroyed.  You make unfounded claims in a futile attempt to support  what most rational people see is a manifestation of mental health issues. Instead of blaming everyone else because no one listens to you, go and look in the mirror and reflect upon how you interact with others.There is a reason why people ignore your views.They are  cruel and unstable.

And for the record,  the ease of the dissemination of  information over the internet and social media has allowed people to learn of cruel and inappropriate activity and to put a stop to it.  

I think the problem is that we see dogs as pets, whereas most Thais do not. buying a dog that wanders around near your house and barks at every passerby ( and chases said incumbent) is not a pet. If they were wolves, coyotes, or hyenas, nobody would be happy, and talk of happy, tail wagging, pets .

On the other hand, there are dogs that chase cars, bikes and people every day infront of their owners and the owners do nothing. Should we punish the dogs or the owners?

I have seen (many times) a pack surround somebody and harrass them. This is dangerous, and those dogs should be dealt with before the pack mentality hurts somebody else. Personally, I am too lazy to cycle for that many kilometers, but I do enjoy a strided walk for 5 or 6km, and finding a nice route is more and more difficult to find. I am new to Hua Hin, so have no real experience of here, but I talk with knowledge of 4 other places

No-one can deny they are a huge problem. But do an isolated cull in a small area 6 months later you would not know it had been done. The problem is national and needs a national solution. All I can say is good luck with that. I don't believe Thailand sees it as a high priority y

I'm only hoping this post is a joke... To kill poor dogs like cock roaches? Are you kidding me?

Just because no one controls the dogs breeding, doesn't mean you have to kill them. Dogs are wonderful, intelligent, compassionate creatures, and have more 'humanity' in them than most of the 'humans' I know. Feeding them doesn't make them vicious. Why developed countries don't have this problem? No, it's no fault of the tourists. It's because the government does have some plan when it comes to dealing with them. They are being placed in shelters, looked after and then re-homed. If the dogs were aggressive while you were cycling, it's because you were probably aggressive towards them, maybe you were trying to ride a bicycle into the herd and they were simply defending themselves? Dogs can be aggressive, if they are being attacked by people, so they view people as aggressors. Change the attitude and cure the cause of the problem, not the effect.