Melania Trump releases more immigration details, no records 

webfact

Melania Trump releases more immigration details, no records 
CHAD DAY, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Melania Trump released a letter Wednesday from an immigration attorney that provided more detail on what she said was her legal pathway to U.S. citizenship. But the Slovenian-born wife of the GOP presidential nominee did not publish any part of her immigration file— official documents that would put to rest questions about whether she followed immigration law.

The two-page letter from New York attorney Michael J. Wildes, who has represented Donald Trump's companies, also advanced an alternate timeline for a nude photo shoot that had been cited in news reports as possible evidence of Mrs. Trump working as a model in New York City without authorization. At issue is whether the photo shoot occurred in 1995— before Mrs. Trump has said she began legally working in the U.S. — or in 1996, as Mrs. Trump and Wildes assert.

The letter, posted on Mrs. Trump's Twitter account, marks the first time that she has publicly identified the type of visas she held and gave specifics about her entry into the U.S. Mrs. Trump has often said she came to the U.S. legally and used her story to defend Donald Trump's hard line on illegal immigration, an issue that he has made a signature part of his campaign.

In the letter from Wildes, it's unclear whether Mrs. Trump provided him access to her full immigration file during his review. Wildes wrote that he had reviewed a series of news reports and "documents regarding the U.S. immigration history of Mrs. Melania Trump." But the letter did not indicate which documents.

Wednesday night Wildes said in an interview with MSNBC that he did review Mrs. Trump's entire immigration file.

"Not only did I see the stamps, I wanted to see all approval notices," Wildes said of stamps in Mrs. Trump's passport and documents detailing approval of her visas.

Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung did not immediately respond to detailed questions from The Associated Press about the review and whether Mrs. Trump planned to release her immigration file for public examination. The immigration file is one of several documents that the Trumps have refused to make public including Donald Trump's tax returns.

Wildes said he did not anticipate that Mrs. Trump would release her immigration files, saying "there's no issue here."

"If there was an issue here, I don't know that I would be here in all honesty," said Wildes, who described himself as a Democrat and a Hillary Clinton supporter.

In his letter, Wildes dismissed news reports that Mrs. Trump had been professionally photographed posing nude in New York City in 1995. He said Wednesday night that the photos were taken in 1996, after Mrs. Trump had a legal work visa.

Last month, the New York Post published the photos along with an article saying they were taken during a two-day photo shoot in Manhattan in 1995. The Post reported that the photos were then published in the January 1996 issue of the French magazine Max. But Wildes said that then-Melania Knauss was not in the country in 1995.

"The allegation that she participated in a photo shoot in 1995 is not only untrue, it is impossible," Wildes wrote. He said he interviewed Mrs. Trump and "we ascertained that the photo shoot in question did not occur until after she was admitted to the United States in H-1B visa status in October 1996." The letter does not give more detail on when Mrs. Trump said the photo shoot occurred.

Wildes wrote that Mrs. Trump first entered the U.S. on Aug. 27, 1996, using a B-1/B-2 visitor visa. About two months later, on Oct. 18, 1996, Wildes said the U.S. Embassy in Slovenia issued Mrs. Trump her first worker visa, an H-1B visa, which she used to work as a model. Wildes said she was issued five such visas between October 1996 and 2001, at which point she became a lawful permanent resident. Wildes said he did not represent Mrs. Trump during the process.

Wildes wrote that Mrs. Trump did not receive her green card through marriage. Instead, she applied in 2000 by self-sponsoring herself as a model of "extraordinary ability," he said. She received her green card on March 19, 2001, and became eligible for citizenship in 2006, the year Mrs. Trump has said she became a citizen.

Simon Rosenberg, an immigration policy analyst who supports Hillary Clinton, said he's skeptical about Mrs. Trump's ability to qualify for self-sponsorship as described in Wildes' letter. Rosenberg, the president of NDN/New Policy Institute, a left-leaning think tank, said, "The letter resolves nothing."

"If they have all the documents, then release them. It is the only way we can answer the fundamental question here which is whether Melania Trump followed immigration law," he said.

William Stock, president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, said Wildes' description of Mrs. Trump's immigration history "is consistent with immigration law, as I know it," though he noted the date of the photo shoot is an outstanding question.

The qualification to self-sponsor to receive a green card is that a person must show extraordinary ability and national or international renown. Stock said an immigrant seeking this type of green card "can be extraordinary in anything," including modeling, and that the strength of a person's reputation can be part of that proof.

Stock said Mrs. Trump or any other immigrant in the same situation would have been measured by the standards in their chosen field.

___

Associated Press writer Alicia A. Caldwell contributed to this report.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-15

7 minutes ago, tpaul1 said:

beside the visa issue, maybe I am old fashioned but doesn't it bother anyone having a first 'lady' that was an ex nude model? I mean ok for your gig but not really ideal for international diplomacy.

Looks better than the old bags and hopefully won't run for office later. Yeah, good choice.

It matters because Trump has made such a big deal about illegal immigration to the USA. If he hadn't been so vociferous against immigrants being in the USA illegally this would have blown over. But it's very possible that if Trump is elected in November that the new first lady could have broken immigration laws to enter the USA...not a very good situation. The only way to fully clear up the issue is for Melania to release her visa documents. The longer she resists doing so the more likely it is that she's hiding something. 

22 minutes ago, Mazungu said:

It matters because Trump has made such a big deal about illegal immigration to the USA. If he hadn't been so vociferous against immigrants being in the USA illegally this would have blown over. But it's very possible that if Trump is elected in November that the new first lady could have broken immigration laws to enter the USA...not a very good situation. The only way to fully clear up the issue is for Melania to release her visa documents. The longer she resists doing so the more likely it is that she's hiding something. 

Reminds me of the movie "Now you see me now you don't"

beside the visa issue, maybe I am old fashioned but doesn't it bother anyone having a first 'lady' that was an ex nude model? I mean ok for your gig but not really ideal for international diplomacy.

Not for me. We had Carla Bruni as the First Lady in France. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, tpaul1 said:

Yeah, old fashioned, 

3 hours ago, tpaul1 said:

i think it is great and a step in the right direction. maybe bargirls in the future will not have to feel the shame from their families despite supporting them. imagine a world where people did not feel shame for the jobs they have to do to get by.

did it bother you when bill was sticking cigars in his intern?

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

10 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i think it is great and a step in the right direction. maybe bargirls in the future will not have to feel the shame from their families despite supporting them. imagine a world where people did not feel shame for the jobs they have to do to get by.

Edited 1 minute ago by williamgeorgeallen

Can't see the comparison with Bill Clinton committing a sex act with an intern and Mrs Trump working as a nude model?

I can't get myself too fussed about Melanie Trump's path to citizenship.  I would guess that at the most she may have cut a few corners, but I doubt that she did anything massively illegal.  

With the spotlight on the situation, I am sure someone in the bowels of the bureaucracy is/has reviewed the file for any improprieties.   It would be up to those authorities to decide where any shortcuts rose to the level of illegal.

Given her past nude modeling career, I'd be interested to see the official first family photo that might be gracing the White House walls.   They may have to cover part of the picture if Ashcroft visits the White House.

7 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

well it is society becoming more depraved right?

Really?  You wouldn't look back at the Kennedy clan and think that was more depraved?  I am quite sure that there are skeletons rattling about in many of the cupboards in the White House and have been there for many, many years!  It's all about abuse of position (and getting found out!).  I would have thought and Melania posing nude wasn't abusing any position.  I would argue that society isn't becoming more depraved but it is far more exposed these days and that is a good thing.

6 hours ago, tpaul1 said:

it doesn't 'matter' but as usual the Trumps don't need to be held in the same scrutiny as previous nominies. A husband of HRC 's aid does sexting and it is a major scandal. Such a lot of hypocracy and double standards

He was a Congressman.  That's why he was in the news originally and resigned.  Then he is stupid enough to do it again finally screwing up his marriage for good, so it seems.  No one seems to berate Hillary for this. It is just tabloid news that hits the headlines for a few days. It was made more sensational because the wife worked for Hillary. 

The holier than though Liberals are just as good as anyone at trying to make an issue out of something no one cares about.  So what if she had a photo shoot prior to her marriage to Trump and possibly prior to having a green card and work permit.  Seems like we have millions more illegal aliens working here without work permits since Obama took office and liberals seemingly want to hand them Green Cards on a silver platter.  Talk about hypocrisy!

1 hour ago, Trouble said:

He was a Congressman.  That's why he was in the news originally and resigned.  Then he is stupid enough to do it again finally screwing up his marriage for good, so it seems.  No one seems to berate Hillary for this. It is just tabloid news that hits the headlines for a few days. It was made more sensational because the wife worked for Hillary. 

The holier than though Liberals are just as good as anyone at trying to make an issue out of something no one cares about.  So what if she had a photo shoot prior to her marriage to Trump and possibly prior to having a green card and work permit.  Seems like we have millions more illegal aliens working here without work permits since Obama took office and liberals seemingly want to hand them Green Cards on a silver platter.  Talk about hypocrisy!

No one berates HRC because it was HRC's assistant's husband because it had NOTHING to do with her. This is Trump's wife were discussing here, the future first lady, but that's not the biggest issue. The issue is the buffoon's selective condemnation of illegal immigrants, of which his wife is apparently, one! 

I don't really care, it's just the hypocrisy that we see every day from Trump, old hat at this point.  

Holier than thou? Come on. Convoluted logic but at least you know how to spell. 

The TVF wingnuts have got to step here. These posts are ridiculous. Try to write something intelligent and thought provoking for a change. Jeesh!

5 hours ago, Scott said:

I can't get myself too fussed about Melanie Trump's path to citizenship.  I would guess that at the most she may have cut a few corners, but I doubt that she did anything massively illegal.  

With the spotlight on the situation, I am sure someone in the bowels of the bureaucracy is/has reviewed the file for any improprieties.   It would be up to those authorities to decide where any shortcuts rose to the level of illegal.

Given her past nude modeling career, I'd be interested to see the official first family photo that might be gracing the White House walls.   They may have to cover part of the picture if Ashcroft visits the White House.

The term 'massively illegal' is an oxymoron.  Something is either illegal or it is not there is no graduated scale of 'slightly illegal' or massively illegal. You break the law or you do not. Simple really.

If it was thought by the authorities that Obama's 'birthing' rights were under question, then they too would have carried out an investigation as you suggest. But they did not, but Obama still had to provide evidence because of a campaign led by Trump. Kind of has a karma feel about this.

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

What two consenting adults do is in no way comparable to the situation being discussed concerning possible illegal Immigration issues. Trump has already said that members of his family would be in his 'Administration',  so if they cannot tell the truth then they should not be in an Administration that holds the keys to the largest nuclear arsenal in the world. Can't you see that?

Notice how Trumpeter has kept her "OFF the Air" since her gaff in "knocking off" a couple of lines from a speech by the Obama woman?

Seems it runs in the TRUMPETER Family, as it turns out that FAT DONNY has knocked-off the line about, "Make America Great Again" from a number of speeches by "BILLYBOY" CLINTON.

13 minutes ago, Torrens54 said:

Notice how Trumpeter has kept her "OFF the Air" since her gaff in "knocking off" a couple of lines from a speech by the Obama woman?

Seems it runs in the TRUMPETER Family, as it turns out that FAT DONNY has knocked-off the line about, "Make America Great Again" from a number of speeches by "BILLYBOY" CLINTON.

You are 100% correct and it is clear from previous video clips, photo's and everything else that the Clintons were Trumps hero's ;)