Obtaining multi entry Non-Immigrant visa from Canberra.

For anyone used to getting a multi-entry visa from the various Thai Consulates in Australia, you are probably aware by now the way you apply has changed. This is how it went for me.

I always take a quick look at the website for the consulate in Melbourne before commencing my trip, after almost being caught out by a change in the documentation required once before. I went to the visa web-page early August, printed out the requirements which hadn't changed much, collated my documents and in September visited the consulate. The Royal Thai Consulate Melbourne has always been efficient with issuing visas in two working days, even same day one time when I needed to return to Thailand at very short notice. Nevertheless, I still apply seven days before I am due to fly out.

I turned up this time and everything went smoothly up until the point where I was asked what visa I required. I said same as usual, multi Non-O. Sorry but we are no longer able to issue the visa you ask for, was the response. You must apply to Canberra. My flight out was in seven days time so I was cutting things closer than I normally like with the website for The Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra stating the minimum visa processing time is three to five days. 

Next I found out I was required to submit a bank statement for the last six months, with a balance of $8,000 plus. Not something I have been asked for previously. I was able to go to my online account, download a statement for the first six months of the year plus a list of transactions up to the date of application and print a copy. I also needed to print out my flights, never been asked for that before.

I bundled everything into an envelope and mailed it using Express Post to Canberra. The important part is you have to include an addressed envelope for the return of your passport. I don't think it is as clear as it could be that it needs to be an addressed pre-paid envelope. The envelope should be a medium size Express Post envelope ($6) with a Signature on Delivery sticker ($2.95) or they will not return your passport. You can track both your envelopes on the Australia Post website, so I knew my application was received in Canberra next day (sent from central Melbourne) but it obviously varies according to your location.

My passport arrived at a Melbourne AP depot on the morning of the fourth working day but it took a further five hours to be delivered to me. I did enclose a covering letter with my application noting my flight was very soon and asking if they could process my application asap, which they did. Now I know the new set-up, I will be applying two weeks ahead of time in future. The only differences with the visa from Canberra was that it was typed instead of hand-written, and for some reason they didn't put it on the next free page but ten pages adrift.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kkerry said:

Next I found out I was required to submit a bank statement for the last six months, with a balance of $8,000 plus.

I think that may of been an error or misunderstanding.On the embassy website it does not mention financial proof to apply for a multiple entry non-o visa. Select Australia as your country and then spouse and family starting on this page.  http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa 

The $8000 in the bank for 6 months is only needed for a multiple entry tourist visa.

A friend of mine applied for his O-A via Canberra having been given the same run-around by the Melbourne Consulate. The Canberra Consulate has a "visa processing tracking" tool on their Home Page so he was able to verify that they had received it and were processing it, and on the third day behold his passport rose from the dead and the same tool told him his visa application had been successful and his passport was in the post

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

8 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

A friend of mine applied for his O-A via Canberra having been given the same run-around by the Melbourne Consulate.

Honorary consulates cannot accept applications for OA visas. So it certainly was not a run around at the honorary consulate in Melbourne.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that may of been an error or misunderstanding.On the embassy website it does not mention financial proof to apply for a multiple entry non-o visa. Select Australia as your country and then spouse and family starting on this page.  http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa 

The $8000 in the bank for 6 months is only needed for a multiple entry tourist visa.

In all the rush to get my documentation sent to Canberra in time I must have misread the new application form I had to complete for Canberra.

Luckily it all worked out, although my passport got a bit wet in the mail but no lasting damage.

I would have had a lot of problems rescheduling my flight as it was 100% full even a few days before school holidays.

• 1 month later...

OP can you advise what documents you needed to apply for your multiple non-O from Canberra? I am thinking about doing the same as I was given the run around in Melbourne today. Apparently they need to seek approval from Canberra, which could take up to a week and I need to leave Melbourne in 2 days from now, so can't really wait around for their response. Dealing directly with Canberra would be OK with me though, provided they're not too difficult.

I don't think the Melbourne Consulate will be able to do anything for you.

RTE Canberra, these are their opening hours from their website if applying in person.

Visa Application: Monday to Friday 9:30 – 12:30 hrs. (Except Embassy's Public Holidays)

Collection of Visa:  Monday to Friday 14:00 – 15:00 hrs. 

Years ago I managed to obtain a visa same day from Melbourne due to an emergency, but the Canberra website says three days minimum in person... but you could always ring and ask.

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

The support documentation I submitted to Canberra was from memory:

Letter in Thai written by Thai wife in support of application (if applying due to marriage).

(If you don't have that with you then it can be faxed, at least that's what I did once before)

Copy of her ID card

Copy of Marriage Certificate 

Passport (obviously)

Recent passport sized photo (white background)

Copy of travel itinerary (or flight booking)

Money Order (better confirm if they accept cash in person)

Return envelope (see first post)

You'll need to read the Canberra website to see if maybe you need anything else.

If applying in Canberra, they should like Melbourne, check your application before you pay and let you know if you have missed anything.

Like any visa application anywhere in the world, expect the staff to be inflexible if you get anything wrong.

Thanks for that kkerry. All those documents I have. However, luckily for me Canberra got back to Melbourne about my visa and I have been approved for the non-B multi entry after all. So no need for the marriage visa this time - however, by this time next year I'll be considering an extension of stay on the basis of marriage.

• Like 1