$20 Million Intervention on Rice Price

geovalin

The government has decided to spend at least $20 million to control the price of rice after the price kept falling, leaving farmers in a desperate state.  According to a post on Prime Minister Hun Sen’s Facebook page on Friday, he said: “I checked carefully about the citizens’ concerns. Several days ago, I ordered the Finance and Economy Ministry and relevant institutions to hold a meeting and find a solution for this issue. 

“At this time, the Royal Government has found some significant measures in order to intervene and to increase the farmers’ rice price,” he said, adding that the government would also use a budget of at least $20 million and combine that with other capital to support the price of rice for farmers.  Mr. Hun Sen said the Finance Ministry will release a statement over the issue and added that the government will have short, medium and long term measures to support the agriculture sector across the Kingdom. 

On Thursday, the Cambodia Rice Bank (CRB) released a statement, saying the bank will intervene to prevent the price of fragrant rice from falling further by offering to buy the staple grain directly from farmers at the market price of 840 riel (21 cents) a kilogram.  The CRB also called on farmers to stop selling fragrant paddy rice to millers at below the market price. 

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/29858/-20-million-intervention-on-rice-price/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 17/09

supply and demand. world is supplying too much rice so the price is falling. will they spend some money to try to get farmers growing something else? doubt it. they will give a subsidy which may even drive up production. government is again better to stay out of it and let lower prices reduce production. could always stock pile it and let it rot i suppose.

45 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Yep, gotta look after those Isaan farmers, with a general election just around the corner.

Did you even read the OP?

I did and it was all about Cambodia and there was not a single mention of Thailand or Isaan until your post.

When did Isaan get moved to Cambodia?

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Did you even read the OP?

I did and it was all about Cambodia and there was not a single mention of Thailand or Isaan until your post.

When did Isaan get moved to Cambodia?

.........or Hun Sen  become PM of Thailand!!