Used bike shop on Rama III, close to Khlong Toei

impulse

I recall a thread a few months back about a shop on Rama III, pretty close to the Khlong Toei market that sells used bikes from Japan.  I tried the search function, but I can't find the thread.

Last weekend, I found myself at the Khlong Toei market with more energy than sense, so I decided to walk down Rama III to find the place.  What a gem.  Totally worth the 1-2 km walk.  Though the area is a little bit scary in its poverty...  And I took a taxi back home.

I was thrown off by the fact that the place is mostly a car/truck parts recovery shop with just a few clapped out bike frames in the display window.  But inside, it's 2 sections with literally hundreds of used bikes, all the way from 2000 baht folding bikes to full carbon frames that I was afraid to ask the price.  I'm overstocked on bikes right now, so I didn't buy anything.  But it was still interesting to browse, and nobody bothered me for the hour or so I wandered through the place.  (The cat's mean, though- don't try to pet the cat)  Since they seem to recondition the bikes, they also have piles and piles of parts.  I've been kind of wanting a narrow tire street bike to go a little faster than my MTBs will go and that's where I'll go if I clear some space in my apartment.

The place isn't for everyone (it's used bikes, after all), and there's no way I'd drive there because I saw nowhere close by to park.  But it was an easy 15-20 minute walk from MRT Khlong Toei or Queen Sirikit, walking by lots of eclectic shops mostly hawking mattresses, rain jackets and the textiles to make them.  So it made for an interesting weekend afternoon.

Sadly, Google street view is from the top level of the freeway so I can't give the exact GPS coordinates with certainty.  I just walked from Khlong Toei down the north side access road to the Rama III freeway for a km or 2 until I stumbled upon the place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...