German Found Badly Electrocuted on Thepprasit Road

rooster59

German Found Badly Electrocuted on Thepprasit Road

Report by Pattaya One News Team

german-electrocuted-1.jpg

PATTAYA:-- At 5.30pm on the evening of September 16, Sawang Boriboon medics were called to the Thongcharoen Hardware on Thepprasit Road after a German national had been found badly injured and calling for help outside.

A crowd had gathered and the victim, sixty-three year old Mr Hans Joseph Jensen, was treated for serious burns and taken to Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital.

A staff member at the store, thirty-four year old, Ms. Chantana Chinnachote, said the victim was a regular customer who lived nearby. He turned up at the shop bleeding heavily and badly burned and so she immediately called for the rescue services and then looked after him.

Later on Mr Jensen was able to say he had been on  a ladder, at his home repairing a damaged curtain rail, when he felt a huge electric shock that knocked him out.

When he came round he was able to walk to the shop where he knew people and ask for help.

Source: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/231778/german-found-badly-electrocuted-thepprasit-road/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-09-18

Drilled into a buried power cable?

Looks like serious burns, coming off the ladder would have been bad enough.

A few years ago I was coring a 2" hole through an exterior wall for a gas pipe in the UK. Got my measurements messed up and went straight through the main power cables leading to the house consumer unit.

Blew me from one side of the room to the other. Knocked out half of the housing estate and cost me£500 public liability insurance.

The power company kindly gave me the sub station fuse that I blew - enormous thing - and told me that they were happy I still had the power of speech!

Drilling a hole in Thailand in whatever and wherever is like a lottery. 

Positioning a drill with common sense and some measurements is uaually not-done, since electrics are installed without both. 

I know several handymen, but they are pretty hesitant to work on electrics that others installed. 

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Later on Mr Jensen was able to say he had been on  a ladder, at his home repairing a damaged curtain rail, when he felt a huge electric shock that knocked him out.

It was almost curtains for Hans. Let's hope he can pull himself together.

(getting my coat now)

that is one miraculous escape. having been knocked out by an electric shop he was able to come around and walk for help. would it not have been easier to phone the police help line from his house after recovery from the shock. one lucky and brave German old man. well done.

34 minutes ago, Thaimike370 said:

There is no such thing as badly electrocuted, electrocuted means you are dead, not half dead or nearly dead, you are DEAD.  You can have a severe electric shock, that hurts! 

you are right . it was a nasty electric shock but he survived. 

2 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Positioning a drill with common sense and some measurements is uaually not-done, since electrics are installed without both. 

I know several handymen, but they are pretty hesitant to work on electrics that others installed. 

there is a simple instruments that can detect wire installations if he had cared to do some background work. personally i am for getting trained technicians to handle any electric work or drilling for that matter. it may cost a bit but it is so much safer.

6 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

It's good that Hans survived and was able to get to the hardware shop to seek assistance...however, it might behove him, and anyone else similarly situated, to have the emergency numbers for the local hospitals saved on their mobile phones.

precisely if you can not remember other numbers, at least call the police in case of such an emergency.

1 hour ago, sahibji said:

there is a simple instruments that can detect wire installations if he had cared to do some background work. personally i am for getting trained technicians to handle any electric work or drilling for that matter. it may cost a bit but it is so much safer.

where do you import them from? sounds expensive.

1 hour ago, Thaimike370 said:

There is no such thing as badly electrocuted, electrocuted means you are dead, not half dead or nearly dead, you are DEAD.  You can have a severe electric shock, that hurts! 

I googled this word - There seems to be some confusion over the exact meaning.

The first explanation was -

elec¦tro|cute

[ɪˈlɛktrəkjuːt]           

VERB

1. injure or kill (someone) by electric shock:

2 hours ago, Thaimike370 said:

Use the search function and look up the extended TVF arguments over the semantics.  You'll find pages and pages, complete with multiple links (if the search function works with the new format- it often doesn't)

Spoiler: acceptable usage of the word "electrocute" has expanded in the past 50 years to include injuries.  I think the Oxford dictionary would be my first stop.  Tough to argue with them.

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, Thaimike370 said:

BADLY electrocuted???  I agree, but you got in before me.

Edited by Gillyflower

7 hours ago, Thaimike370 said:

Perchance not electrocuted in the prescribed manner?:whistling:

Hence the "Badly electrocuted"

BUT think he will just be happy to be alive & able to nit pick  :-)

:wai:

9 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Ive drilled so many holes in thailand now that im not too concerned about wether it will be my last one or not.... as long as my beer is still on the bar when i come back down.

14 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

It's good that Hans survived and was able to get to the hardware shop to seek assistance...however, it might behove him, and anyone else similarly situated, to have the emergency numbers for the local hospitals saved on their mobile phones.

Yes Donald, we all agree on this one!