Briton Stabbed By Tuk-tuk Driver

george

Tuk-tuk drivers are a disgrace to Thai society.

Probably 90% of them all pricks are trying every f****** way they can find to rip you off.

I have witnessed many times Tuk-tuk drivers manipulating drunk Farangs to withdraw money out of their ATM accounts, take all the money, kick him against the floor and speed away.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuk-tuk drivers are a disgrace to Thai society.

Probably 90% of them all pricks are trying every f****** way they can find to rip you off.

I have witnessed many times Tuk-tuk drivers manipulating drunk Farangs to withdraw money out of their ATM accounts, take all the money, kick him against the floor and speed away.

ok mate,

dont leave us hanging and give us some numbers and facts please.

ive never witnessed that happen and i been around for a while. :o

whatever happened, put a knife in anothers chest is a little bit hardcore for a disput about 80 baht difference

I dont see anyone saying that what the driver did was right, but this isn't Kansas Toto, People here don't live by our rules, all you have top do is watch the Thai news to realize that.

Every country is different go into Mexico, insult someones mother your probably not going to make across the border alive.

Doesn't matter where you go it's not your territory it pays to learn how the game is played and adapt. If not better stay home. What is no big deal one place is a huge offenece in others.

The way Thai' drive here as an example, in Los Angeles someone would eventually try to kill them if not actually do it. But thats there and this is here. So the answer for both area are to adapt or don't play.

Kuwait 110 MPH an hour on the freeway guy flashes his lights at you, better move out of the way, cause if you don't he is going to everythign he can to put you into the freeway fence at a 110 MPH (175 KLMS) Is it right no. but yuo better adapt or don't go.

I think that is all anyone is saying here, skipping the comments about drunken englishmen.

One of the main problems seems to be language in most cases -- and I cant begin to imagine what a drunk Welshman sounds like - bad enough to understand them when sober - same as the English - amazing they can get themselves understood anywhere --

this driver seemed to survive the onslaught seeing he had time to go and rummage thru his glove box and get his knife out - and then drive off to find another fare -- haha amazing but after all this is Thailand - TIT -

but i get really pissed off with reading these stories about farangs- from all over the place - who visit the Kingdom and treat the place like a giant fun/sex park for their own satisfaction and for things that they would not think of doing back in their own countries - and would possibly be arrested if they did behave like this - ok -so I feel bad for him - and condem the tuk tuk driver -but this seems to be the Thai way of solving conflicts -- but violence begets violence -- But when in rome do as the romans do - treat this place with a little respect and the locals just might respect you back ---

top points to you mate as i agree entirely.

some people have no respect at all and i believe some people need a few hard learnt lessons on respect.

its to bad that they get hurt when this happens but it just the way things go here in los. :o

whatever happened, put a knife in anothers chest is a little bit hardcore for a disput about 80 baht difference

I dont see anyone saying that what the driver did was right, but this isn't Kansas Toto, People here don't live by our rules, all you have top do is watch the Thai news to realize that.

Every country is different go into Mexico, insult someones mother your probably not going to make across the border alive.

Doesn't matter where you go it's not your territory it pays to learn how the game is played and adapt. If not better stay home. What is no big deal one place is a huge offenece in others.

The way Thai' drive here as an example, in Los Angeles someone would eventually try to kill them if not actually do it. But thats there and this is here. So the answer for both area are to adapt or don't play.

Kuwait 110 MPH an hour on the freeway guy flashes his lights at you, better move out of the way, cause if you don't he is going to everythign he can to put you into the freeway fence at a 110 MPH (175 KLMS) Is it right no. but yuo better adapt or don't go.

I think that is all anyone is saying here, skipping the comments about drunken englishmen.

In Kuwait I drive one of the big GMC pickups we commonly lease to the Military so I make them go around, they don't wanna run their precious lil BMW's into that :o

Never, really?

I been around for a whille too and I have seen it several times.

The latest was around Petchaburi rd., at around 1.00 am I get out of the taxi for 7/11 to notice this Thai dude is calling me over to the ATM.

As I go there, a drunk farang is trying to withdraw money but he seems out of his mind.

Then it turned out the thieft wanted me to Help the Farang withdraw the money as he was so drunk.

After, I cross the road and just watch. The Thai scammer kicked him mercilessly after taking away his money.

Never, really?

I been around for a whille too and I have seen it several times.

The latest was around Petchaburi rd., at around 1.00 am I get out of the taxi for 7/11 to notice this Thai dude is calling me over to the ATM.

As I go there, a drunk farang is trying to withdraw money but he seems out of his mind.

Then it turned out the thieft wanted me to Help the Farang withdraw the money as he was so drunk.

After, I cross the road and just watch. The Thai scammer kicked him mercilessly after taking away his money.

yes ok,

but what on earth would this pissed up farang being withdrawing money for at this time of night under these circumstances.?

got to tell you mate its like taking candy from a baby and the same thing would happen to you in australia.

its got nothing to do with being a tuk tuk driver but everything to do with being a total idiot farang and placing yourself at risk in the first place.

no sympathy at all for this fool. :o

next story, and please dont give me another one involving a loser like him. :D

Obviously a lot of posters here move in very different circles to me. In the 12+ years I have been here I have learned to negotiate a Tuk-Tuk fare and stick with it. Never to travel in a taxi without the meter and try to act in a civil manner. I have never been hassled or felt threatened and I am no choir boy.

A comment was made "voilence begets violence" and that is so true. To be honest I have no regard for tourists who get sh*tfaced and carry on like total drongos. While stabbing someone is a little overboard one has to assume that the Thai concerned felt threatened and belittled. A dangerous combination regardless of nationality. I wish the Welshman a speedy recovery and an even speedier return to the bogs of Wales.

In the state that he was, I don't he could even figure he was being robbed.

I guess this farang was drinking some Heavy lao-khao with the Tuk tuk driver.

Being a loser or not, this story clearly tells you the honesty of Tuk tuk drivers. Right?

Something similar happened to me in Chiang Mai a few months ago.

I took a tuk tuk from Moonmuang Soi 9 to just past the Novotel. I made the mistake of not asking the fare, but having done the journey many times, knew that it was in the region of 100baht without haggling.

Anyway, got to my apartment, and the driver asked me for 400 baht. I was shocked at this blatent rip off price, and offered 200. I told him I take this journey many times, and its never over 100 baht.

He immediately got angry(probably had a bad day), and reached behind his drivers seat and pulled a big machette out on me! Anyway, his wife who was riding along on the battery, managed to diffuse the situation, and he accepted 200.

My fault for not asking the price first, but certainly no excuse for that behaviour. Lock him up for a while I say! Might make him think twice in future.

Phil

Obviously a lot of posters here move in very different circles to me. In the 12+ years I have been here I have learned to negotiate a Tuk-Tuk fare and stick with it. Never to travel in a taxi without the meter and try to act in a civil manner. I have never been hassled or felt threatened and I am no choir boy.

A comment was made "voilence begets violence" and that is so true. To be honest I have no regard for tourists who get sh*tfaced and carry on like total drongos. While stabbing someone is a little overboard one has to assume that the Thai concerned felt threatened and belittled. A dangerous combination regardless of nationality. I wish the Welshman a speedy recovery and an even speedier return to the bogs of Wales.

good on you mate as you speak the truth.

the big problem with a lot of people on this forum is they will not face the fact that this is thailand and this is how things work here.

we must realise that many have only been here on short holidays and speak with no real experience, hence they come screaming out of the woodwork when these situations arise. :D

i find them humourous and silly at the same time. :o

It was accent confusion.

Can you imagine trying to negotiate a fare between a drunken Welshman and a tuk tuk driver who can't speak English.

I can't understand a sober Welshman, let alone a drunken one...so what hope did the tuk tuk driver have???? :o

Welshman man drunk to much they should not be allowed out of Welshland. In my country of Pakistan we will not served the bums alcohol.

He should be put in Jail for 10 years for starting the fight.

Why does "one have to assume" that the Thai concerned felt threatened etc????

Read my post above. I did nothing threatening, or belittling to the driver. So to assume this of someone else is wrong.

Similarly, I would not be so bold as to "assume" the Welsh man did nothing wrong.

We haven't heard all sides of the story here, and even when we do, who's version do we trust? The persons story which makes more sense to us because of past experience? No, stories aren't important. Facts are.

FACT - Thai man pulls a knife out in a fight and uses it. LOCK HIM UP!

:o

Phil

Being a loser or not, this story clearly tells you the honesty of Tuk tuk drivers. Right?

i disagree entirely,

you are saying all tuk tuk drivers are dishonest which is a rediculous statement and worthy of no respect.

you guess the idiot farang was drinking with the tuk tuk driver.

another assumption and you do not know.

the only fact you have provided is the farang was a drunken fool. :o

please provide fact and not assumption.

It's all relative. Is it reasonable for a bank security guard to shoot a robber who was running off with just a few million Baht?

its pathetic , its third world and it seriously diminishes thailands reputation around the world.

Considering the reputation that drunken Brits and British football hooligans have around the world, I would say Thailand is still ahead.

As usual, someone has fabricated a one-sided explanation of what "must"have happened and the message board court has weighed this "evidence" and found the Thai guilty and the white man a blameless innocent victim.

Of course, if a farang kills or injures a Thai, it's immediately assumed the farang was provoked and his reaction was reasonable.

It's pathetic, it's British and it seriously confirms Britain's reputation around the world.

I think your reply is pathetic, mind you having read previous posts of yours, the word racist is probably not strong enough for you.What is your problem with white people, particularly English?

Someone gets stabbed...fact

The 'stabber' has to get his knife from his tuk tuk. NOT self defence....fact

Yet you witter on about Britains reputation????

Grow up . Whatever the provocation, stabbing somebody is uncalled for, immaterial of colour, creed or religion

Agreed, there seems to be a number of people on Thai Visa that are anti British, I do not defend the idiots that come over here and get drunk and generally cause problems (I wish they would go back to having holidays in spain and Greece), however, you cannot just single out the Brits as trouble causers.

Back on Topic, if you pull a knife on a drunken man who is in general less able to defend him self because he is drunk, then you deserve to go to jail. If the Tuk Tuk drivers life was in danger that would be a different matter, but from the report it sounds like he walked away from the fight got his knife then went back to stab the tourist.

Put yourself in the Tuk Tuk driver's shoes.

How would you like to be driving around at 3am picking up drunken passengers?

Then you get some twit who argues over 3 lousy bucks!

A tough way to earn a living.

First I think how much would that fare be back in Perth?

Nothing under $20 at 3am (if you could even find a taxi at that hour ..)

I always negotiate a fare with a Tuk Tuk or taxi driver, then give them a very good tip when we arrive,

give him a handshake and say "Thank you" in Thai and even complement him on his driving skill.

Treat them with respect (as you should any other human being)

It generates goodwill and hopefully gives them hope that not all Farang are mean spirited.

Ok, so I get "ripped off" sometimes but I'm on holidays and if my money buys his family

an improvement in their life - good luck to them!

We are guests in their country and we have the good fortune to be in a position to improve their lot, not put them down.

tuk tuk drivers are not respected by local Thais either, and are generally considered to be liars and cheats... that is from my Thai wife...

Yes, there are exceptions to this - with many great and wonderful people operating taxis and tuk tuks -- but stereotypes come from somewhere...and reputations are earned...

I wonder how much more anti-foreigner 'big mouth' backlash we're going to see - i.e. the monarch's 'farang pudt maak'

While there is very little that can be constructively said of this "news", due to the pathetic reporting, at least one thing can be taken away from it: if you get into an altercation with a Thai, make sure he's down for the count before walking away. It's the only way to be sure he won't try to save face by skewering you. :o

It is a sad fact that more altercations, problems, and disagreements arise here in the proverbial Land 'O Smiles between farangs & thais because of alcohol than any other reason.

Without the real facts, which may never come out, the story is anecdotal of how fast a disagreement over something trivial can escalate into something all to serious.

Given that most tuk-tuk, taxi and moto operators are from the lower class of society, usually poorly educated, etc it is easy to see how a situation as outlined in the article could go south quickly.

FACE is everything to a thai, they will become rabid animals if they perceive they have lost it, going to extraordinary means to recover it.

While I have not been here as long as some of the illustrious posters on this forum, I can say in the 2 years I've unfortunately lived between Soi Nana & Soi Cowboy, the only time I've seen problems w/thais & farangs escalate into blows, or worse, was due to alcohol induced idiocy on the farangs part. Now granted I live in the 'steamier' part of Bangkok, and may be exposed to the vices of farangs more than most.

That said, in all the time here I have never been accosted, ripped off, or gotten into altercations w/any of the taxi, tuk-tuk, or moto drivers I have come into contact with. If you don't have your wits about you, well, you deserve what happens.

As one poster put it, and as a t-shirt I had made up says, "This AIN'T Kansas Toto", learn the ropes, follow a few common courtesies, & your trip here will be as problem free as any visit to a shit-hole, piss-ant, poor third world country can be.

It is interesting to see this incident used as farang bashing (which given the welsh, scotts, irish, aussie, kiwi, or anyone not from the US and their version of english may have its merits), or thai bashing (given experiences people have had). However the moral of the story is negotiate the fare FIRST, don't be too drunk to know what is going on around you, and if you are well, som-nom-na.

i disagree entirely,

you are saying all tuk tuk drivers are dishonest which is a rediculous statement and worthy of no respect.

the only fact you have provided is the farang was a drunken fool. :D

Please read carefully before posting.

I said about 80 to 90% of them are not honest, or Did I say all of them? Does it mean all Tuk-tuk drivers?

I was in Phuket a couple of days ago. The prices are crazy, according to my thai wife. That said, drunk people can act crazy. I to get drunk but never violent mostly sleepy. But there are those who get real agressive when drunk.

I wish we knew all the facts, but we dont. But the thai guy had to make effort before getting the knife that is a bad thing.

We dont know how the tourist acted but he was drunk so he could have done a lot.

I think both sides are wrong but stabbing is just a lil bit more bad then fighting.

Ow im dutch, and i have seen many drunken english. It is in their culture probably or something. I have nothing against them, but they seem to overdo it on the alcohol more often. But not all of them are like that. Just like not all Dutch are using drugs and stuff.

I just hate people who drink and don't know how to behave. This is one of the reason the government ban ads. about liquor.

Yeah, this guy was probably just finishing up at the flower show and on his way to a symposium on inner peace when a Singha advertisment sent him on a rampage of drinking that ended in tragedy.

Thank goodness the ads will be gone soon and people will stop getting drunk in Thailand.

Based on whats been reported here.

I just love the Thai's - the Tuk Tuk driver went back to work :o

to think that he could just melt back into the scene and not be noticed

He just stabbed someone and he went back to work - unbelievable.

Low IQ people so watch out

For sure...the Briton got into the tuk tuk without negotiating the fare first. When they arrived at the hotel the driver most probably demanded 500 bht. Common occurance around tourist areas.

The tuk tuk version, as allways, is poor ond thai worker being ripped off by big bad farang....yeah right

i disagree entirely,

the only fact you have provided is the farang was a drunken fool. :D

Please read carefully before posting.

I said about 80 to 90% of them are not honest, or Did I say all of them? Does it mean all Tuk-tuk drivers?

thats fairly close to all of them. 80 to 90%.

but thats ok mate as your entitled to your opinion but i dont agree with it. :D

It was accent confusion.

Can you imagine trying to negotiate a fare between a drunken Welshman and a tuk tuk driver who can't speak English.

I can't understand a sober Welshman, let alone a drunken one...so what hope did the tuk tuk driver have???? :o

That IS funny!

Put yourself in the Tuk Tuk driver's shoes.

How would you like to be driving around at 3am picking up drunken passengers?

Then you get some twit who argues over 3 lousy bucks!

A tough way to earn a living.

Some twit who argues over "3 Lousy bucks"? In this country 200 baht is a days wages or more to the majority of the working populace!

Sounds like easy money to me if a Tuk Tuk driver can get that much for driving a drunk around for "10 Lousy minutes".

Edited by gmac