Briton Stabbed By Tuk-tuk Driver

george

who said he was drunk, the tuk driver, who said he threw the money in the tuk tuk drivers face, the tuk tuk driver, one side of a story I havent heard the welsh person side so i cannot judge and nor can a lot of people here.

Absolutely right! This is a case of bad reporting, no one can say with certaintly who did what to whom, it's all just speculation. For all we know, the tuk tuk driver may have been backed right up against his vehicle and unable to escape his opponent, reached a foot away and grabbed his knife. We don't know if the folding knife was open or not, do we?

To a farang, 2 bucks is a niggling amount, to a tuk tuk driver, it's like $20 bucks. When's the last time you got a taxi in London for the UK equivalent of 200 Baht?

Then someone speaks of Thai low mentality without commenting on the base stupidity of a Welsh tourist out on the street alone at 3:30 in the morning. How much of a genius is that?

The whole world is very aware of the antics of drunk Brits, so give these Thais a break, they've got a long way to go to catch up when it comes to hooliganism.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put yourself in the Tuk Tuk driver's shoes.

How would you like to be driving around at 3am picking up drunken passengers?

Then you get some twit who argues over 3 lousy bucks!

A tough way to earn a living.

Some twit who argues over "3 Lousy bucks"? In this country 200 baht is a days wages or more to the majority of the working populace!

Sounds like easy money to me if a Tuk Tuk driver can get that much for driving a drunk around for "10 Lousy minutes".

Agreed.

It was accent confusion.

Can you imagine trying to negotiate a fare between a drunken Welshman and a tuk tuk driver who can't speak English.

I can't understand a sober Welshman, let alone a drunken one...so what hope did the tuk tuk driver have???? :o

Welshman man drunk to much they should not be allowed out of Welshland. In my country of Pakistan we will not served the bums alcohol.

He should be put in Jail for 10 years for starting the fight.

To the mods. Please take down this racist shit. Thanks

The whole world is very aware of the antics of drunk Brits, so give these Thais a break, they've got a long way to go to catch up when it comes to hooliganism.

And all canadians have flapping heads and beady eyes. :o

Come on, don't tar us all with the brush. I get drunk from time to time, and am never violent, or cause problems. I'm a happy drunk! Im English, and proud to be.

For the record, I am not a football fan, but the few games I have been to (Manchester United), I have never seen violence. I know it goes on, but it is very much in the minority.

Brits are hooligans? What next? Americans loud? Irish stupid?

Get a grip people. Stop being racist. Judge every human on their own merits.

Phil

Well, unfortunately this is Thailand and we probably won't hear ever hear what really happened. I live outside the entrance to a hotel in Patong and I frequently hear arguments between tut tuk drivers and passengers that can usually be put down to a misunderstanding of language. One thing is for sure...the tuk-tuk driver will say the money was "thrown in his face" because he knows that will get most thais on his side. For all we know the welshman could have placed the money on the seat, but we will never know. We would have to hear his side of the story.

These tuk tuk drivers are the "scum of the earth" and its a shame they are allowed to operate at all in patong. The reality is that the powers that be don't give a rats ass about what is happening and towns like Patong exist soley to take as much money from tourists as possible. We as "tourists" need to recognize this fact and be aware of our surroundings. We can still have a great time in these places, just need to be extra careful about how we deal with the locals. One rule I've learned, and this applies to most places in the world, is to clearly establish prices first....always.

On a side note, last night my girlfriend's son had a couple boys from our soi over to play video games. these particular boys that were over last night are the sons of tut-tuk drivers and jet-ski rental operators. All well behaved boys(although the tuk-tuk driver's son doesn't do "jack sh@t" at school and when asked why he doesn't care, he responds, "I am going to drive tuk tuk when I grow up"). So at 9:30pm I am sitting outside having a cup of coffee when out of nowhere this large(for thailand)thai man shows up and looks right past me to the boys and calls his son out and procedes to whip the sh$t out of him with a largish branch from a tree. It was violent and I was shocked. It was not just a couple of taps, it was full force, violent and abusive. I didn't interfere because I don't fancy a knife in my chest like our welshman, although next time this boy comes over I will be sending him home at sunset instead of letting him stay later. Anyway, this incident is just one of many that I have witnessed and I believe says alot about the lower class society in places such as Patong. Violence is a everyday part of home life for these people. They often react with violence seemingly minor incidents. I know it will piss alot of people off when I say this, but the locals also have reputation for lying about anything that could possibly cause them to be held accountable for their actions.

There are young "gangs" of boys running wild in our neighborhood causing all sorts of trouble and when u start asking who the parents are u find out pretty fast that these little trouble makers are the future tuktuk and motorbike taxi drivers of Patong.

Its a shame that this place is let "go to hel_l" like it has been, but after all, the tourists keep pouring in and if it was orderly and "safe" it probably wouldn't attract the numbers of people that it does. Watch your back with locals, avoid tuktuks and most things go pretty smooth(I find).

Anyway..stay safe and have fun

YaiJung

I just hate people who drink and don't know how to behave. This is one of the reason the government ban ads. about liquor.

Yeah, this guy was probably just finishing up at the flower show and on his way to a symposium on inner peace when a Singha advertisment sent him on a rampage of drinking that ended in tragedy.

Thank goodness the ads will be gone soon and people will stop getting drunk in Thailand.

THIS ONE GETS MY POST OF THE DAY AWARD!

How about this simplified analysis of events:

One Moron + one Moron = Disaster

And all canadians have flapping heads and beady eyes. :o

Come on, don't tar us all with the brush. I get drunk from time to time, and am never violent, or cause problems. I'm a happy drunk! Im English, and proud to be.

For the record, I am not a football fan, but the few games I have been to (Manchester United), I have never seen violence. I know it goes on, but it is very much in the minority.

Phil

What's racist about telling it the way it is, Phil? Here's the number of entries in Google for the term I used:

"Results 1 - 10 of about 673,000 for British football fans riot."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4789954.stm

http://www.umich.edu/~uac/threeweeks/Volume2.6/soccer.html

That's just 2 out of 673,000, the condition is so well known that books have been written on the subject.

Is that the part of being British you're proud of, Phil? Facts are facts, they have nothing to do with being racist, Irish or American. Suggest you plug the links into a browser and then tell us to get a grip.

Should do it more often to these crocks. I have had that pulled on me serveral times here in Bkk and I just walk away, but some do get out and try to chase you down. Take a few of them down, carry a blade, some rope. Use it if it become necessary, but don't get caught or let anyone see you.

its pathetic , its third world and it seriously diminishes thailands reputation around the world.

Considering the reputation that drunken Brits and British football hooligans have around the world, I would say Thailand is still ahead.

As usual, someone has fabricated a one-sided explanation of what "must"have happened and the message board court has weighed this "evidence" and found the Thai guilty and the white man a blameless innocent victim.

Of course, if a farang kills or injures a Thai, it's immediately assumed the farang was provoked and his reaction was reasonable.

It's pathetic, it's British and it seriously confirms Britain's reputation around the world.

Well Said! I particulary like the

... someone has fabricated a one-sided explanation of what "must"have happened and the message board court has weighed this "evidence" and found ....

Every thread read more or less the same. Someone read an article and give his "authorised" and "well-informed" opinion on it, no matter how little they know about the issue. All these know-it -all would do a stellar job if they could bother move away from their computer screen and get into the real political arena, instead of Armchair politic.

i would say expat at work rather than Britts!

[sandy]

Edited by s.pylos

I can say, from my own personal experience in Patong, that this kind of thing DOES happen.

A few years ago I got a Tuk Tuk about 10 am near the Royal Garden Hotel to go to the Doctor's office. I was going from the area just outside Paradise Complex to an area just about 100 meters from where the police box is at the entrance to the beach from the walking street ( i don't recall the name of the street and it's closed at night for walking traffic only)....

The normal fare for this ride was 50baht.. i had taken it many times..going to the beach, restaurants along the beach etc.

The driver demanded 100 Baht. I told him no, the normal fare is 50 baht. He kept insisting on 100 baht. I told him to call the security guard who was just about 50 meters away... he refused. I tried to give him 50 baht. i did not throw it in his face. I did not do anything offensive. He went over to his tuk tuk and grabbed a piece of wood and approached me with it. Thinking he was just being threatening I still held my ground. He swung and hit me in the head with the piece of wood, breaking my glasses. The security guard watched the whole thing and did nothing.

I then gave him the 100 baht. He put the wood back in his Tuk Tuk and drove off.

I went to the doctor and returned later. I was across the street about 20 yards from the tuk tuk que where my "driver" was in the que with his fellow drivers. I was talking to a tour guide operator and asking what the correct fare should have been, and she told me 50 baht.. The driver from earlier was standing with his coworker, or friend or boss, and they were acting out as if my driver had won a Boxing championship...holding up his arm as the champion... laughing.... the tour operator's husband saw it and went over to talk to them. Seems the tuk tuk driver told his boss that i had assaulted him, told him his mother was a cow and flipped him the bird finger and that was why he went and got the piece of wood and hit me.

I did nothing provocative at all except to firmly refuse to be extorted. I did not raise my voice, I did nothing physically threatening, i did not insult him or his mother... because in my mind all the rumors about the taxis in Patong being Mafia controlled kept swirling around...and I just know that any provocation from me and I would likely end up in a ditch somewhere...

anyway, I read this story and I know, from my similar experience, this does happen. The Tuk Tuk driver lied in my case to justify his agressiveness.... and it is possible this one has lied too.

who said he was drunk, the tuk driver, who said he threw the money in the tuk tuk drivers face, the tuk tuk driver, one side of a story I havent heard the welsh person side so i cannot judge and nor can a lot of people here.

Thai's are big on Hooliganism, have you never been to see "Mulam", the last one I went to see the police and security where using shotguns to break up the fighting between rival gangs, everyone I have been to has erupted into violence at some point between drunken Thai youths. Maybe this is only in Issan?

And all canadians have flapping heads and beady eyes. :D

Phil

What's racist about telling it the way it is, Phil? Here's the number of entries in Google for the term I used:

That's just 2 out of 673,000, the condition is so well known that books have been written on the subject.

Is that the part of being British you're proud of, Phil? Facts are facts, they have nothing to do with being racist, Irish or American. Suggest you plug the links into a browser and then tell us to get a grip.

And to think that OUR queen is also in charge of your country also :o

That you guys have to honour OUR queen :D WOW!!!

In Patong there is no where that a 200 Baht fair is warranted! From Soi Bangla to Soi Nanai should be a 100 Baht fare. If it was in Bangkok the taxi meter fare would be less than 50 baht for sure!

The Thai Tuk Tuk drivers in Phuket have always been the worst for tourism. Survey after survey taken by TOT, hotels and the cities, show tourists always say they are the worst thing they come across in Phuket!

The previous Governor said at one time he would do away with them altogether, didn't happen! When the police went to one way traffic and then wanted Soi Bangla as pedestrian street, the Tuk Tuk drivers revolted. Some are reasonable, most are terrible and detrimental to Phuket and Thailand’s image. When taxi meters were introduced, the Tuk Tuk drivers again intervened treating their lives!

What to do, the answer is so easy, yet so far away!! Maybe more stories like this and then something will happen!

OK, I don't normally feel it is necessary to pipe up on these news rants, but there's some critical information that's not being presented in this debate.

I don't think anyone here can provide any insight regarding what actually happened on the night in question. And I'm not going to try.

What I can do is provide some additional insight into tuk tuk/taxi drivers on Phuket. If your only experience with tuk tuk/taxi drivers is in BKK/CNX, you have only the slightest idea of how awful the tuk tuk/taxi drivers are around here. Are there good ones? Yes, of course, I can point to the nice tuk tuk driver I had once (only once).

The tuk tuk/taxi mafia around here is extremely powerful. Just ask anyone that owns a hotel or small guesthouse here... They'll often demand 500baht++ a night for just dropping of a passenger who doesn't have a prior booking (and you had better give them their money, or maybe your face will get knifed up too). Or, as another example, take a look at the plight of meter taxis on Phuket. They're coming back a bit now, but I read horror stories of taxi/tuk tuk drivers beating the piss out of them for charging lower rates.

So everyone who is characterizing the tuk tuk drivers as impoverished, innocent victims in this situation should wake up. They are part of a criminally controlled monopoly on transportation in Phuket. With their monopoly, they can afford to just sit around all day (just look at them on beach road), waiting for that one dumb tourist to rip off. If the monopoly did not exist, obviously rates would fall to normal levels and they'd have to work a lot harder.

With the high tuk tuk/taxi mafia profits, they can afford to pay off the politicians to look the other way when they have to "correct" hotel owners or rogue meter taxi drivers.... Then that leads to more profits... And the cycle continues.

So, let's sum it up -- Through criminal enterprise, they set ridiculous rates and make a ton of money given their educational background. I fail to see the honest, hard-working, pity-worthy qualities present here. And I fail to see why anyone would immediately side with a Phuket tuk tuk / taxi driver.

Never, really?

I been around for a whille too and I have seen it several times.

The latest was around Petchaburi rd., at around 1.00 am I get out of the taxi for 7/11 to notice this Thai dude is calling me over to the ATM.

As I go there, a drunk farang is trying to withdraw money but he seems out of his mind.

Then it turned out the thieft wanted me to Help the Farang withdraw the money as he was so drunk.

After, I cross the road and just watch. The Thai scammer kicked him mercilessly after taking away his money.

...and you left him there went across the street stood, watched and did nothing? What a Thug you are. :o

BuaLoy

And all canadians have flapping heads and beady eyes. :D

Phil

And to think that OUR queen is also in charge of your country also :o

That you guys have to honour OUR queen :D WOW!!!

Surely you jest!!! Sure, Canada and other Commonwealth countries go along with all the Pomp and Circumstance which is about what your people in the UK play along with but she hasn't been in charge of anything for decades, your People allow her to serve.

This is all just smoke and mirrors nonsense to deflect the real issue that we're talking about, that the news story is too short on details so many of you have resorted to developing your own scenarios and doing a lot of posturing.

What I'm doing is just throwing it back at you and obviously, I've hit a few nerves. But I have yet to have any countering data which challenge the facts, just warm wind from both ends.

It's easy to criticise, but when it comes back at you, OH MY!!!

Drunken yob rips off driver, then assaults him. Driver fights back and gets charged. :o

What are you, judge and jury.?...Its a small world, and this is why i wish to comment...I just so happened to be working closely with Julien Bennett, the victim, in the months pior to him leaving for a 6 week trip to Thailand....Julien is much travelled in the region, and has been to Thailand several times over the years, and he is not what you call a naive person. He is also a pleasant and cheerful person who is easy to get on with and has a good sense of humour. he also came across as the sort of person not to want to take any nonsense.

I would lay my hat on it, that Julien knew what the fare should have been (100baht) as he had took the fare numerous times before, and maybe he was drunk, so what, he is on holiday, and the Thai nightlife in Patong is all about selling as much drink as possible for maximising profits....The scumbag tuk tuk driver saw this as his opportunity to double up on the 'naive unsuspecting dunk tourist' and Julien stood his ground....so what if its 100 baht, some people stand on the principle, and I bet that he did throw the 120 baht at the tuk tuk driver, and it was in fact the driver who instigated the fight...Julien is a big lad, maybe 6ft 1, and no doubt fought back in defense, but not to the extent where the driver couldnt return to his tuk tuk, get out a knife, unfold it, and stab him...

So, the question is, who started the altercation...answer, the tuk tuk driver for clearly overcharging.

I have been a victim of this scenario before and i watched as the driver exploded in a rage when he tried to double up on me one night, on a route that I use regularly....fortunately, i didnt get stabbed or attacked.

Hope you have a speedy recovery Jules if you get to read this

My friends, buy a spray, like mace and keep it handy, like in your hand when things go wrong

Your not in Kansas anymore anf Toto is a soi dog

Libscndsuk are in front of Q for fleecing and bleeding

be careful

nam

Edited by Nam Kao

we have the good fortune to be in a position to improve their lot, not put them down.

what a patronising load of garbage.

xerostar , your post is without a doubt the stupidest thing i have read on thai visa in a long while....and there is no shortage of stupidity on these forums.

why do so many tourists assume that all thais that they come into contact with are poor , starving , unfortunate poverty stricken peasants worthy of pity and handouts.

i have just finished reading an article in a thai magazine about a fruit seller in a night market in a town that sees a lot of tourists , both thai and foriegn. she sells from a push cart , her main product is mango and kapi , but also sells the small 10b portions of fruit that are popular throughout thailand.

foriegners always assume that these people are slum dwelling unfortunates , forced to push their carts through crowded streets to earn a crust. they refuse change from them , considering it an act of charity , imagining her dickensian urchin like children starving away back in some fetid shack.

this market trader takes between 5000 and 6000 baht a day , often more , that equates to 180,000 a month. not bad at all. about the average wage in the uk these days.

there are plenty of unfortunate cases in thailand worthy of local and even foriegn aid , but you wont encounter them in the tourist centres.

the tuk tuk drivers in patong are amongst the laziest people on earth.

why have 10 customers a day at 20baht a ride , when they can fleece just one guilt ridden sucker out of 200... not including generous tip and meaningless compliments. and at bthe same time , choking the atmosphere with exhaust fumes from their expensively decorated little go karts , blocking the traffic and taking up all the parking spaces. they just sit around all day. they are worse than leeches.the drivers must be wetting themselves as they try to stop themselves laughing when some of these tourists hit town and start giving money away. no wonder they think we are all millionaires.

you pay $30 dollars for cab ride back home , but if there is an accident you will be covered by insurance , the cab in all probability will have decent brakes and the driver will have a driving licence and wont be drunk when at work.

have a misfortune or a disagreement with the driver in a tuk tuk here , and you might even find yourself paying the drivers out of pocket expenses as well as your own inflated and padded hospital bill for injuries received either from the crash or from the stomping meted out by the driver and his thug colleagues.

Edited by taxexile

in situations like this where we are dealing with uneducated people, i am reminded to be thankful for the wonderful education that my parents provided to me. not just the schooling, but the daily love and attention, the constant support and mentoring.

it is an unfortunate reality that much of the world doesn't have such education, including large portions of the populations in the most developed countries.

maybe rather than focusing on one altercation, we should welcome the opportunity to look at how we can increase the standard of living and education level of people everywhere.

the uneducated mind is unfortunately as dumb as the drunken mind- neither reflecting human potential. who is to blame, dumb or dumber? as they would reason in india: "who is to blame? the police? the mafia? the tuk-tuk drivers? the thai education system? the courts? the tourist industry? the drunk tourists? the politicians? the media? that one tuk-tuk driver? that one tourist?" the indian view is that you can't point your finger at any one person or institution, so, we have to simply take responsibility for ourselves, protect ourselves, and face the consequences of our own actions. it is unfortunate, yet somewhat true.

the answer is increasing the living standard, increasing education. finger pointing in this situation is futile, unless we point at everyone, including ourselves.

I feel soory for Julien the truth of it is it probably was not his fault i have been harassed for extra money numerous times in thailand over the years by taxi drivers and tuk tuk drivers. I will very rarely use a tuk tuk now as it happens time after rime. Lets see what happens if the police make an exaple of this guy perhaps it would stop. I would like to see if the driver is prosecuted this would be attempted murder as it was done with intent to cause the man harm you have to think what you are doing to go get a knife open it and then attck someone what aere the witnesses saying dont seem to be hearing much on that and there must have been some scared to say anything perhaps!!!

Any of you farang who believe the Thai driver here must be drunk.

Try thinking.

If it was self defense, where are the marks on you--the diver-- from where you say the passenger struck you? There are none.

No reports of marks on him.

Also--the idiot had time enough to walk back to his Tuk Tuk--get the knife--and then walk back and stab the Farang. Does not sound like he was under attack to me. This sure is not self defense. Thai justice is simple here. A rich Thai man--would pay money and the problem would be over. A farang here should contack rich Thai friends and let them do the job. This is Thailand.

Any of you ever been in a taxi or whatever at night here in Thailand?

A number--not most--of the drivers are graduates of the prison system. Most Thais refuse to use the unsafe transportation at night if alone.

Thailand may be the land of smiles but it is all the land of thieves and robbers. Getting into any transportation with a drug crazed idiot at night is not a good thing to do.

Always call a friend or send a message after getting into a taxi. Give the taxi number.

Let the taxi driver know you just did this.

Better yet---Do not get in one.

This is just not safe.

I have been going to Patong for over 20 years. Only a fool would take on these Tuk Tuk drivers as you are on a hiding to nothing. Principles mean sod all as it is a mafia like system. Pay the extra money if needed.

For a Pom it is just over a pound for 100 baht and a Aussie it is 3 bucks plus. I have seen some very nasty stuff over the years over what amounts to small change. In the end it always will cost more either with Police trouble or a smashed up face. I know it sucks but put it down to experience and just move on. :o

My rules would be this.

Walk wherever possible, if people stop using these bandits the level of service and price will change accordingly.

Rent a bike, you can get a Honda dream for 900 baht a week. You can even buy a mountain bike at Tesco for 1000 baht if you want.

Always negotiate a price first and makes sure it is agreed on. If you know the price have that exact amount kept aside in your pocket.

Reward good service and price with a small tip and thank you. You will then be looked out for by your favourite driver.

NEVER I mean NEVER start a blue with any Thai, you will never win one way or another. If you do beat up a Thai local, return to your room, pack and do a runner ASAP.

Never go to the Police, you will never ever be listened to if a local is involved.

Many of the so called Patong locals are not even South born Thais. They are Isarn people who moved down about 25 to 30 years ago at the start of the tourist boom.

Local Phuket people are very very decent people in general.

I call my taxi man from Melbourne, he picks me up at Phuket airport (450 baht)

My motorbike man drops off my bike at my bungalows for me (900 baht a week)

I get a room for 350 baht to 400 depending on if I get a TV. Patong does not need to be a rip off if you know where to go and who to deal with.

Lastly I would say Patong has become a pretty lousy place to go. I am spending less and less time there these days. :D

Vote with your feet.

I really dont use tuk tuk's ever. I got ripped off even in notha buri by them. I needed to transport a tv.. Would not fit in a taxi.. so the tuk tuk charged 200 bath. The taxi driver would have charged 50 bath. It isnt the money it is the principle.

Also many taxies try to go off the meter if you arive at mochit. I never ever use these. I always use the meter taxi's in BKK.

I rather rent a motorbike then use a tuk tuk. (ok not when im drunk but that doesnt happen often)

They just overcharge anyone.

lets hear the welshmans side to all this first.

but ........however you look at this , going back to your vehicle , and getting a knife and then stabbing someone , is not right.

he deserves to be prosecuted. he is a menace. he should go to gaol .

I guess it was a bit different from the tuk tuk drivers STORY.

The welshman supposed do pay the normal daytime fee...about 200.-Baht but arrived at the hotel the tuk tuk AH want have 400.-Baht which is the normal fee for night time driving in Patong. If U dont agree to 400 take a walk, they dont care and no other tuk tuk AH will give u a ride. First thing we have to know is WHO ownes the tuk tuks.....its in not many cases the driver. I heard stories that the drivers have to pay a daily fee of 500.-baht rent, for a tuk tuk to somebody...GUESS WHO :o

WELCOME TO THAILAND....where Tuk Tuk and TAXI drivers rule the world.

its pathetic , its third world and it seriously diminishes thailands reputation around the world.

Considering the reputation that drunken Brits and British football hooligans have around the world, I would say Thailand is still ahead.

As usual, someone has fabricated a one-sided explanation of what "must"have happened and the message board court has weighed this "evidence" and found the Thai guilty and the white man a blameless innocent victim.

Of course, if a farang kills or injures a Thai, it's immediately assumed the farang was provoked and his reaction was reasonable.

It's pathetic, it's British and it seriously confirms Britain's reputation around the world.

I think your reply is pathetic, mind you having read previous posts of yours, the word racist is probably not strong enough for you.What is your problem with white people, particularly English?

Someone gets stabbed...fact

The 'stabber' has to get his knife from his tuk tuk. NOT self defence....fact

Yet you witter on about Britains reputation????

Grow up . Whatever the provocation, stabbing somebody is uncalled for, immaterial of colour, creed or religion

Hey take it easy ---- the comment about British behaviour is well known -- and its not racist -- and not difficult to see where your roots are --- Rule Britania -- the comment was directed at the stupid pommy tourists who come here and act like Thailand owes them something for coming here -- they would be better off going to Spain or other tourist destinations but perhaps they would not be allowed into these countries - already blacklisted -- so they come here and sow their oats and get pissed -- better they all stayed at home ---- :o