Briton Stabbed By Tuk-tuk Driver

george

My parents are visiting me in the New Year, I'm taking them to Krabi or Phang nga instead of Phuket precisely because of all the little things like overly aggressive / annoying tuk tuk touts.

I wonder how much tourist revenue Phuket loses each year because of these stories reaching the press? I'm guessing it outweighs the amount of money made by the 'tuk tuk mafia'.

Why hasn't a compromise been found regarding set prices, and why are these weapon wielding tuk tuk drivers still allowed to ply their trade there?

Good luck Maddy - I had a friend 'escape' to Phuket recently due to aggressive longtail boat drivers and unfriendly tourism operators in Ao Nang area. Made him feel real unwelcome and unhappy to be in Krabi.... what is going on? After tsunami and all the help from foreigners to re-establish the tourism industry - seems that aggression is ruling these days with scary business tactics! :o

And - back to Phuket - a long-term business associate was recently attacked by 4 tuk tuk drivers for mistakenly parking his car in "their" space. He was hospitalised for a week with a serious head injury after an unprovoked beating with a wooden club. As far as I know this was not reported to 'authorities' due to further threats...

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the main problems seems to be language in most cases -- and I cant begin to imagine what a drunk Welshman sounds like - bad enough to understand them when sober - same as the English - amazing they can get themselves understood anywhere --

this driver seemed to survive the onslaught seeing he had time to go and rummage thru his glove box and get his knife out - and then drive off to find another fare -- haha amazing but after all this is Thailand - TIT -

but i get really pissed off with reading these stories about farangs- from all over the place - who visit the Kingdom and treat the place like a giant fun/sex park for their own satisfaction and for things that they would not think of doing back in their own countries - and would possibly be arrested if they did behave like this - ok -so I feel bad for him - and condem the tuk tuk driver -but this seems to be the Thai way of solving conflicts -- but violence begets violence -- But when in rome do as the romans do - treat this place with a little respect and the locals just might respect you back ---

Aussie Mike you need to get a life, i hope i don,t meet you on the Bangla road at 3.30am

In the state that he was, I don't he could even figure he was being robbed.

I guess this farang was drinking some Heavy lao-khao with the Tuk tuk driver.

Being a loser or not, this story clearly tells you the honesty of Tuk tuk drivers. Right?

Clear? This is about the murkiest account of an event I have ever read! We don't have the Welshman's side of the story or any witness reports, so regardless of what it "smells" like, we don't know whether or not there was foul play on both sides. I'm not defending either of them. I just don't see how we can make a clear conclusion based on this story at all.

Cheers!

I am irritated by some of the comments here directed towards British people generalising all of us being football hooligans.

I am Scottish and we have an almost impeccable record when it comes to supporting our National team abroad (incidents at Wembley aside!).

So for those of you who are anti-British/English, small-time bigots or just don't have a clue, do not label us Scots with the same brush as those who suffer from the 'English Disease'.

No but scots have a reputation of being mean drunks! And your domestic games are well known for violence especially again any foreigners that come to your games.

I am English, I do not support football and I have never got into a fight when drunk, I just go to sleep. but if this article was about me getting stabbed I would be branded as a football supporting lager lout just because I am English and he was welsh so whats with the English bashing?

Get a grip people, You have only heard the Tuk-Tuk drivers side of the story which is bound to be exaggerated, he is trying to save his ass from prison time.

Drunken yob rips off driver, then assaults him. Driver fights back and gets charged. :o

Do you realy believe that, this is obviously a local trying to rip off a Farang who justifiably argues the point about the correct fare and comes off the worst - remember the young couple killed by the "Police officer" the Thai's tend to over react to a situation.

It would have been easier for "HIM" the Tuk Tuk driver to call the law and explain the situaton, he would have come off better without the assault charge as we all know the Thai's favour Thai's over a Farang

Look's like a lot of people posting here have never encountered the Patong tuk tuk scum.I was driving in Patong the other day looking for an address in Rat-u-thit Rd.I pulled over to the kerb to read the directions I had written down.Suddenly their is this fat slob banging on my passenger window shouting YOU,YOU.I let the window down to ask what he wanted,he was then joined by two other drivers all shouting You,You.You no stop here.You go now.I finished reading my directions and replied You,You <deleted>> off.I drove off nearly taking the fat slobs head off as he was now leaning through the window.So you do not even have to be a fare to upset these aggressive little sh-t's.They seem to be telling where you can stop now.

Life is hard in Thailand! Haven't you noticed? Seen a lot of school kids walking around in bare feet? Street vendors selling Somtum 18 hours per day? Tuk-tuk drivers baking in the sun? Sexy young Thai girls with rich farang grandfathers? Meanwhile we drive our lovely air-conditioned BM's around. Park where we want to park. Do what we want to do. Eat what we want to eat. Sleep with whomever we want to sleep with. I see it every day. I also see my wife's cousins dump their Thai BF for rich farang grandfathers. Old enough to be my grandfather. Certainly no American, Australian, German or Norwegian girls would have these old men. But .... in Thailand ... when you have no money .... life is hard.

There is no excuse for stabbing someone. There is no excuse to be rude or violent. There is no excuse for stabbing someone. But there is no excuse for being drunk and out of control either.

What if .... and this is just a what if ... what if the Welsh guy had smiled at the Tuk-Tuk driver, given him 300bt - yes, 300bt for his trouble at 3:00am in the morning, and a pat on the back and wished the guy well. Seriously, it was an arguement over 80bt - less than 2 Pound. Was it worth it? Does it matter who started it?

Virgil, Out!

One of the main problems seems to be language in most cases -- and I cant begin to imagine what a drunk Welshman sounds like - bad enough to understand them when sober - same as the English - amazing they can get themselves understood anywhere --

this driver seemed to survive the onslaught seeing he had time to go and rummage thru his glove box and get his knife out - and then drive off to find another fare -- haha amazing but after all this is Thailand - TIT -

but i get really pissed off with reading these stories about farangs- from all over the place - who visit the Kingdom and treat the place like a giant fun/sex park for their own satisfaction and for things that they would not think of doing back in their own countries - and would possibly be arrested if they did behave like this - ok -so I feel bad for him - and condem the tuk tuk driver -but this seems to be the Thai way of solving conflicts -- but violence begets violence -- But when in rome do as the romans do - treat this place with a little respect and the locals just might respect you back ---

Aussie Mike you need to get a life, i hope i don,t meet you on the Bangla road at 3.30am

Hey - Need a Job -- think your the one who needs to get a life -- that has got to be the most childish stupidist c**p comment i have read all day = and there have been some really brainless comments flying around today but yours has got to take the prize -- what a ###### ---- met me at 3 am really ---- you could not even find your way there ----- <deleted>

My sympathies to the Welshman and to the Tuk-tuk driver, but mostly my sympathies to the truth that seems to be quite elusive.

Having been in numerous jams with tuk-tuk drivers and taxi drivers, I've long ago decided never to argue with them. Hotels are more than happy to sort the problem out (and let me know if I owe or don't owe anything). The police also have been helpful. When the problem begins, just decide to have them let you off at the police box.

In general these people have "friends", something I don't have a lot of here. I don't want their friends and colleagues showing up in mass to extract cash and body parts from me.

It's not worth getting hurt over. By the way, in most countries taxi drivers aren't an easy lot to deal with.

it seems most people have bad experience with Tuk tuk rivers, well I have had none, respect their culture and they will respect you, not many people who read this respect anyone except themselves, I have sympathy with the Welsh gentleman, the hotel should have intervened, however, it seems the police have the matter well enough in hand, no further comment on the whys and wherefores.

No further coment on those who think all Thais are trying to fleece, cheat or otherwise do the farangs.

True enough--overall, I've had very good luck with both Tuk-tuk drivers and taxi drivers. When there has been a problem, it has stemmed from a sincere misunderstanding--and one that can be sorted out by an objective party--usually with smiles all around.

It's not worth a hassle for a few baht--these guys aren't rich and what they are getting isn't a lot, at least not enough to get hurt over.

My point is that they do have "Friends" and they do stick up for one another and it's best not to let one of them think you are stiffing him.

Nothings worth stabbing someone or even being stabbed for. If you stab someone then be prepared to face murder or attempted murder charges. For a few Baht!! Principles can be VERY costly! I think that BOTH were very stupid and foolish and will probably be regretting now. Bit late though eh?

The stupid thing is that even though the tuk tuk driver must have been well pissed off too he could easily have taken the 120 Baht and gone back out to make up (rip off) the shortfall from other drunken farangs.

Here's a question though. I wonder how much a Thai local would have paid for that same journey anyhow? I've even seen locals climb in and out of a tuk tuk which I've been paying to travel in, without paying a single baht. :o I don't mind supporting local charities and being a giving person but there are limits!

You have to expect the worse when you throw anything in someone's face,

be it a drink, money or other.

Luckily he wasn't killed in the stabbing but just as easily could have.

A perceived wrong, miscommunication and of course the third element in the triad of disaster, alcohol. :o

Based on whats been reported here.

I just love the Thai's - the Tuk Tuk driver went back to work :o

to think that he could just melt back into the scene and not be noticed

He just stabbed someone and he went back to work - unbelievable.

Low IQ people so watch out

For sure...the Briton got into the tuk tuk without negotiating the fare first. When they arrived at the hotel the driver most probably demanded 500 bht. Common occurance around tourist areas.

The tuk tuk version, as allways, is poor ond thai worker being ripped off by big bad farang....yeah right

Exactly.

These guys are disrespectfull thugs. Ripping off tourists is their sole function.

Ripoff the Farang, nobody cares, is the general attitude.

Phuket is supposedly a "world class" resort, yet we have to load up into pickup trucks and pay extorsionist fees to lowlife scam artists that drive like fools, just to go a few blocks.

On the other hand, there is no shortage of obnoxious, disrespctfull tourists.

It would be a good idea for Thailand to cross check criminal records and require a VISA for everybody I guess.

That would screen out a bunch of the Hooligans.

Why don"t they provide a legit Taxi-Meter in these tourist spots?

Drunken yob rips off driver, then assaults him. Driver fights back and gets charged. :o

ofcourse it wouldnt have to do with the overcharging of tourists...

Im glad to see that the powers that be have taken away your moderators button. A person that "works for food" can no longer dictate to the people that have a life.

You can see by this post, your an unimformed goose. :D

Back to the post... 100 baht is plenty for the time it takes to go from Bangala to The Royal Crown.

You can get a motorbike taxi for 20 or 40 (if tourist) baht...

I wish the new governor would step in an get the baht buses up and running, kick these "mafia" low lifes to the curb..

Lets face it 90% of tuk tuk drivers in phuket are robbing tossers they would rip you off at the drop of a hat drunk or not drunk

perhaps this fella had a little more dutch courage than normal and told the driver to shove it !! i dont see anything wrong with that lets face it the price is 100 baht

i hate tuk tuk drivers and will never get in one ever again i wish they would learn a thing or two

Amazed to see how many people here won't give the stabbed guy the benefit of the doubt. :D

We don't know if he was drunk or abusive, but we know the taxi driver stabbed him.... Phuket tuktuk drivers are a disgrace to the whole tourist industry on Phuket; yet no-one will tackle this problem.

Doesn't look like the situation will improve anytime soon, but it might be nice to see a bit of unity amongst expat or tourists here. When someone you know gets stabbed; assaulted; injured or worse, then you will realise just how far away from home you really are. :o

Being a loser or not, this story clearly tells you the honesty of Tuk tuk drivers. Right?

i disagree entirely,

you are saying all tuk tuk drivers are dishonest which is a rediculous statement and worthy of no respect.

you guess the idiot farang was drinking with the tuk tuk driver.

another assumption and you do not know.

the only fact you have provided is the farang was a drunken fool. :D

please provide fact and not assumption.

Please read carefully before posting.

I said about 80 to 90% of them are not honest, or Did I say all of them? Does it mean all Tuk-tuk drivers?

:o

thats fairly close to all of them. 80 to 90%.

but thats ok mate as your entitled to your opinion but i dont agree with it. :D

I agree with you Thug as do the majority of people who actually know Thailand. The majority of Tuk Tuk drivers in Phuket would rip you off.. For a fellow farang to keep posting that the majority arent like that, is ridiculous.

In Phuket, if you park your car in a n area that the Tuk Tuks dont like they scatch it down the side, if you take them to task on price, they want to fight you.... They act like they run this town and by the look of how the last governor hid in his home after they surrounded his house, they most likley do. Phuket has to get rid of these lousy scum bags... 200 baht for a 3 minute drive in ludicrous, especially when the national average wage is less than 200 bhat per day.

Terry, keep sticking up for them mate, but I agree with Thug.

if these lowlife extertionists that call themselves phuket taxi drivers want to have western tourists as their customer base then they should start to organise themselves and show some professionalism , they could start by publicising and having fare charts in their vehicles , so that customers dont have to go through the demeaning and one sided bargaing charade every time.

fares should be standardised. they are just fleecing the tourists for every single baht they can , they are often aggressive and unhelpful , and see foriegners as cash cows.

its pathetic , its third world and it seriously diminishes thailands reputation around the world.

all the while that phukets "big cheeses" are creaming off the take from these sleazy operations people are returning home from trips here with stories about being ripped off , cheated and scammed.

welcome to thailand .

agree. scumbag tuk tuk drivers in Phuket. I refused to take them and walked everywhere and hired a car instead as cheaper overall. 100's of them lined up with no customers. all tourists should boycot them and laugh as they starve to death! looks like they were actually :o

also one shoved a leaflet in my face. i pushed the leaflet away and he followed me down the street yelling he would kill me. as the wife was with me just kept my cool and pretended he wasnt there (and he had 20 other tuk tuk mates in hearing distance). scum that all should be eradicated for sake of the gene pool!

Put yourself in the Tuk Tuk driver's shoes.

How would you like to be driving around at 3am picking up drunken passengers?

Then you get some twit who argues over 3 lousy bucks!

A tough way to earn a living.

Some twit who argues over "3 Lousy bucks"? In this country 200 baht is a days wages or more to the majority of the working populace!

Sounds like easy money to me if a Tuk Tuk driver can get that much for driving a drunk around for "10 Lousy minutes".

I see this all the time, people underestimate how much Thais earn.

There are a lot of people who earn minimum wage in Thailand which varies from about 160 to 195 baht. But there are plenty of people earning more than this.

i disagree entirely,

you are saying all tuk tuk drivers are dishonest which is a rediculous statement and worthy of no respect.

you guess the idiot farang was drinking with the tuk tuk driver.

another assumption and you do not know.

the only fact you have provided is the farang was a drunken fool. :D

please provide fact and not assumption.

Please read carefully before posting.

I said about 80 to 90% of them are not honest, or Did I say all of them? Does it mean all Tuk-tuk drivers?

:o

thats fairly close to all of them. 80 to 90%.

but thats ok mate as your entitled to your opinion but i dont agree with it. :D

I agree with you Thug as do the majority of people who actually know Thailand. The majority of Tuk Tuk drivers in Phuket would rip you off.. For a fellow farang to keep posting that the majority arent like that, is ridiculous.

In Phuket, if you park your car in a n area that the Tuk Tuks dont like they scatch it down the side, if you take them to task on price, they want to fight you.... They act like they run this town and by the look of how the last governor hid in his home after they surrounded his house, they most likley do. Phuket has to get rid of these lousy scum bags... 200 baht for a 3 minute drive in ludicrous, especially when the national average wage is less than 200 bhat per day.

Terry, keep sticking up for them mate, but I agree with Thug.

Lets not debate about who is honest or not, or who started it etc. By the sounds of it, the tuk tuk guy went clearly OTT, if we can believe the reports.

What matters here what the Thai law courts do about this guy...if anything?? It's one thing being arrested. It's another thing if it even makes it as far as court? Seen too many 'pay offs' here especially by the locals. Just one of the many problems us farangs have to learn to live with.. for now, iving in a 'developing' part of the world.

Although I have found most tuk-tuk drivers duplicitous in applying budhism philosophy, most accidents of this sort do occur because of the rampant scale of alcoholism brought upon by unbearable living conditions of Thai males and Western males (slaves of women [sic]), corporations, materialistic brainwashing, and greed AND tuk-tuk drivers --at the end of the day-- having ALSO to pay for having sex with Thai girls! :o

As long as woman will continue to charge men for having sex with them and men be stupid enough to pay, this and other events of the sort will occur. I think it is important to dig a bit deeper to find the real causes of these and other issues. However, I do think also that a fair system for all for charging for fares would be to the benefit of all, except the tukl-tuk drivers who scam new tourists, of course. If one is happy for the service (no scamming), then it would be a good idea to reward the tuk-tuk driver with a bit of a tip.

PS: I have had as good and positive experiences with Thai people as I have with other people of other cultures as I have had bad experiences. People are people. Let's remember that +/- 10% of the population of any country does own +/- 50% of the wealth of a country. Most of them are men. And most are men because most women tell all men that sex has a cost and most women have outrageous and dysfunctional needs. (Of course, things are more complex than this, but I am not going to write a book here.)

Edited by MyPenRye

Although I have found most tuk-tuk drivers duplicitous in applying budhism philosophy, most accidents of this sort do occur because of the rampant scale of alcoholism brought upon by unbearable living conditions of Thai males and Western males (slaves of women [sic]), corporations, materialistic brainwashing, and greed AND tuk-tuk drivers --at the end of the day-- having ALSO to pay for having sex with Thai girls! :D

As long as woman will continue to charge men for having sex with them and men be stupid enough to pay, this and other events of the sort will occur. I think it is important to dig a bit deeper to find the real causes of these and other issues. However, I do think also that a fair system for all for charging for fares would be to the benefit of all, except the tukl-tuk drivers who scam new tourists, of course. If one is happy for the service (no scamming), then it would be a good idea to reward the tuk-tuk driver with a bit of a tip.

PS: I have had as good and positive experiences with Thai people as I have with other people of other cultures as I have had bad experiences. People are people. Let's remember that +/- 10% of the population of any country does own +/- 50% of the wealth of a country. Most of them are men. And most are men because most women tell all men that sex has a cost and most women have outrageous and dysfunctional needs.

:o ok.

This is a dreadful thread, full of suppositions and conjecture and surmising.

Fact is, we don't know what happened. All this thread does it reveal people's innate bias and bigotry . . the welshman is an innocent victim . . no he isn't, the poor Thai guy had no choice.

The truth is always grey and somewhere between the two extremes. It's much more likely that in a cross cultural clash of two low-lifes, the one with the worst English, least education and common sense, and lowest level of personal morality became the victim of one of Thailand's finest . .

;-)

Although I have found most tuk-tuk drivers duplicitous in applying budhism philosophy, most accidents of this sort do occur because of the rampant scale of alcoholism brought upon by unbearable living conditions of Thai males and Western males (slaves of women [sic]), corporations, materialistic brainwashing, and greed AND tuk-tuk drivers --at the end of the day-- having ALSO to pay for having sex with Thai girls! :o

PS: I have had as good and positive experiences with Thai people as I have with other people of other cultures as I have had bad experiences. People are people. Let's remember that +/- 10% of the population of any country does own +/- 50% of the wealth of a country. Most of them are men. And most are men because most women tell all men that sex has a cost and most women have outrageous and dysfunctional needs. (Of course, things are more complex than this, but I am not going to write a book here.)

And your point is??? signs140.gif

Although I have found most tuk-tuk drivers duplicitous in applying budhism philosophy, most accidents of this sort do occur because of the rampant scale of alcoholism brought upon by unbearable living conditions of Thai males and Western males (slaves of women [sic]), corporations, materialistic brainwashing, and greed AND tuk-tuk drivers --at the end of the day-- having ALSO to pay for having sex with Thai girls! :D

Are you real? :o "tuk-tuk drivers duplicitous in applying budhism philosophy". :D <deleted> are you talking about?

its pathetic , its third world and it seriously diminishes thailands reputation around the world.

Considering the reputation that drunken Brits and British football hooligans have around the world, I would say Thailand is still ahead.

As usual, someone has fabricated a one-sided explanation of what "must"have happened and the message board court has weighed this "evidence" and found the Thai guilty and the white man a blameless innocent victim.

Of course, if a farang kills or injures a Thai, it's immediately assumed the farang was provoked and his reaction was reasonable.

It's pathetic, it's British and it seriously confirms Britain's reputation around the world.

I think your reply is pathetic, mind you having read previous posts of yours, the word racist is probably not strong enough for you.What is your problem with white people, particularly English?

Someone gets stabbed...fact

The 'stabber' has to get his knife from his tuk tuk. NOT self defence....fact

Yet you witter on about Britains reputation????

Grow up . Whatever the provocation, stabbing somebody is uncalled for, immaterial of colour, creed or religion

I couldn't disagree with you more, and thats just from personal experience. As a general rule now I never drink with English people. Of the experiences I've had, the way the English act when drunk truly warrants not only a stabbing, but a long and painful torture session as well. Luckily I'm not of the disposition to dish out this sort of punishment, but the only punch i've thrown since I was 13 years old has been at an soused Englishman. Never before have I seen a group of people willing to come into your house, drink your alcohol, eat your food and then begin to insult and berate you for absolutely no reason. This is not an isolated incident, this has happened to me with 4 different people and I have heard similar stories from others. What I find even more amazing is that the next day they act as if nothing had happened. When confronted they just say "oh, I was drunk, I don't even remember what I said" like thats a reasonable excuse.

Wake up Brits; lay of the sauce if you can't avoid being an as#hole on it.

Life is hard in Thailand! Haven't you noticed? Seen a lot of school kids walking around in bare feet? Street vendors selling Somtum 18 hours per day? Tuk-tuk drivers baking in the sun? Sexy young Thai girls with rich farang grandfathers? Meanwhile we drive our lovely air-conditioned BM's around. Park where we want to park. Do what we want to do. Eat what we want to eat. Sleep with whomever we want to sleep with. I see it every day. I also see my wife's cousins dump their Thai BF for rich farang grandfathers. Old enough to be my grandfather. Certainly no American, Australian, German or Norwegian girls would have these old men. But .... in Thailand ... when you have no money .... life is hard.

There is no excuse for stabbing someone. There is no excuse to be rude or violent. There is no excuse for stabbing someone. But there is no excuse for being drunk and out of control either.

What if .... and this is just a what if ... what if the Welsh guy had smiled at the Tuk-Tuk driver, given him 300bt - yes, 300bt for his trouble at 3:00am in the morning, and a pat on the back and wished the guy well. Seriously, it was an arguement over 80bt - less than 2 Pound. Was it worth it? Does it matter who started it?

Virgil, Out!

This happens the world over. I have seen many western women dump families to live with a rich boyfriend.

Many people here dress down to increase begging income in Patong. Look at the cigarette seller in Bangla, she arrives with very modern artificial legs and calipers then takes them off and hides em when the punters start rolling down. Lot of the kids hop into big 4 x 4s and are bussed up and down between Karon - Kata and Patong, there is no money problem there mate, if they are plying Bangla, they are involved with some big mafia people.

What if the guy had given him 300 baht? That would then have become the minimum fare expected for that time of the morning and anybody accepting less would be losing face.

You can tell the phuket people on here as we all know what absolute vermin these people are. The guy went a searched in his tuk tuk for a knife. If he was under attack how did he manage this manoever?

More publicity required for this, it happens all the time but most of the expats cannot say too much as they know where our businesses are. Thankfully, things are now being brought out into the open with the internet, and many tourists arrive pre-warned.