Darkside advice needed

lookforzeros

I have to make some visits to Soi Mu Ban Phu Thara, coming from Thepprasit and returning around sunset. Unfortunately at that time, the GF has the scooter, so I'm usually reliant on my feet or baht buses.

Is it realistic to consider walking back the whole length of Khao Talo after sunset? A bit of internet research suggests that I'd be a nice target for both muggers and angry dogs. Is Khao Talo really that bad?

Any advice on getting from Soi Mu Ban Phu Thara to Thepprasit at dusk would be much appreciated!

Get a motor cycle taxi 100 baht your home. loads around.

You can walk it early evening no problem.   i have done it.

but you will get soi dogs, and its a bit mad on foot at the train tracks.

with crazy traffic and no foot path.

unlikely to get mugged but you never know.

best get the motor cycle taxi  :wai2:

Agree totally with OMC about a motor bike taxi, though Suk can be a bit hairy in rush hour on the back of a bike (or is at least for me).

Soi Khao Talo isn't all that bad though I wouldn't fancy it on foot in the dark given some of the driving along there at times.....If you don't mind shelling out and get lucky, a vacant baht Bus may take you back in more safety for around 150-200B (depending on the driver). 

9 hours ago, onemorechang said:

If your walking make sure you wear a name tag with your address on it. It seems the poster has avoided most of the pitfalls in life the kind that leave indelible impressions on our thinking processes. The world can be your oyster young fellow but just don't get shucked.

You can get mugged anytime, day or night, especially in a retreating economy.

Be aware of who is behind you at all times.  At night be aware muggers hide in the darkest places and at the end of Sois, under pedestrian crossovers, and between buildings near a walkway.

Carry a weapon/s, a knife with a 4" blade, or a telescopic baton, or pepper spray.

They are illegal, but the fine is only 100 THB, for each, plus  confiscation by the police  if searched.

If the above weapons are used in self defense and the Police are called, they will not fine you, nor take the weapons. Good idea to have witnesses names, and cell numbers.

I confirmed the above with the Thai Police and the Tourist Police.

Walking alone in the dark is not recommended unless you can protect yourself.

Everyone should have self defense training, especially women.

Strike to shock and hurt and run!

Edited by Kabula
word deletion

Actually, the area from Moobaan Phutara to the top of KhaoTalo  is quite dangerous after sunset, although getting better since the recent road upgrade & an overabundance of lights installed, and also walking would be difficult right now as that part of road is not yet resurfaced, under construction. You get a lot of mad teenagers using this road as a racetrack, probably fuelled on yabba or laokhao, & the temptation for them to stop & say 'hello' to a lonely wandering farang would be high.

Couple of months ago this happened on that stretch:

http://news.thaivisa.com/pattaya/woman-shot-as-another-thai-on-thai-armed-robbery-is-reported/147559/

The report isn't entirely accurate as they say the railway road- it wasn't, it was the road past Phutara & Tara Patana school that the OP appears to refer to, called Pattanakarn Road & the robbery was almost directly opposite MooBaan Phutara.

So I'd also strongly suggest a motorbike taxi after dark, just for that part of road, once you are in khaoTalo, no probs.

1 hour ago, lookforzeros said:

Thanks everyone. Sounds like a motorbike taxi is the way to go, then.

@BruceMangosteen thanks for the suggestion, but the gf is actually making her way back from work at that time.

Best to walk over railway line an get taxi outside Tesco lotus on right. Won't rip u off only 40b up to top of Khatalo. Only 10 min walk from Suk Rd.

13 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Every night, pick up a hooker, to walk with you.

OP it is worth noting that motorbike taxis can be thin on the ground after 6pm or 'lights out'. Many's the time I've lagged a little, found the pod of drivers I saw earlier have popped off and have had to walk it and hope for an opportunistic 'drive by' picking me up.

I like the Darkside. I've spent many a happy afternoon/evening there in the past just wandering around, stumbling on some nice friendly little nooks and crannies. If you get stuck for a ride, nip into a bar and ask them there. The lasses invariably will have a number for a local moto or even stand outside and clap one in for you, especially if you're a good tipper.....

In a country, where you get cheap and safe transportation everywhere - why consider walking through an area at night that gives you the shivers in the first place? 18 replies - 18 people wasted their valuable time for this... including me, unbelievable!!! :(

If my memory serves me right Khoa talo is solid shops and once past the

railway is bars bars and bars,where  could you get mugged, by the market

has Soi dogs,can be a problem,as i often walked my Dog by there but I 

cannot recall many muggings,to busy,lol.............

16 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Some helpful posts....get a taxi or charter a song tow...but no one has suggested telling the GF you need the scooter and she should find her own way to work? or renting a second scooter for a month?? Brilliant ideas I'm sure you hadn't thought of. 

Brilliant..hmm...might not be a real good idea to drive a scooter when you been out drinking all night. 

6 hours ago, ericthai said:

Brilliant..hmm...might not be a real good idea to drive a scooter when you been out drinking all night. 

I missed the part about being drunk, or a drunk. Drunks do in fact seem to get mugged more often, but of course with less to lose as are near broke and have already sold their gold and given the GF all their pension money. Smart muggers either do it for fun or target the individual based on some insight as to the reward for the act. The fact he won't tell his GF to give him the scooter indicates he's not in control of the situation. She is. 

53 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Rent another scooter for a week, it will be a few hundred a day!

Walking any distance here is a drag anyhow, with the heat, poor surfaces, street dogs etc, plus yes, you might be a target.

They had roadblocks set up at all three major roads entering/leaving Pattaya last week, up near Sukhumvit. I noticed yesterday the one on Pattaya Tai was gone. Point being, have some sort of paperwork and DL as roadblocks becoming a real pain in the arse. 

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

They had roadblocks set up at all three major roads entering/leaving Pattaya last week, up near Sukhumvit. I noticed yesterday the one on Pattaya Tai was gone. Point being, have some sort of paperwork and DL as roadblocks becoming a real pain in the arse. 

Went in and out yesterday without any blocks. They are often on the railway line bypass too though. Common at motorway flyover and the 7 or 15 junctions. Not normally a big deal as have all my documents with me.