Public, not politicians, must judge party laws

webfact

EDITORIAL

Public, not politicians, must judge party laws

The Nation

Political camps have themselves to blame for stricter controls

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's biggest political parties probably need to be more selective in condemning proposed legal changes that could affect their future functions. While their bitterness is understandable, the Pheu Thai and Democrat parties are in danger of being accused of overreacting and being protective of vested interests.

While it's true that the designed measures are being mapped out when the country remains under a military 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Public-not-politicians-must-judge-party-laws-30295625.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-19

Most Thais I meet are way too apathetic about politics. There's this feeling of "it will all be alright". 

In fact, I remember asking once "what is taboo in Thailand?" Answer? Talking about politics. You might upset someone. 

Nothing changes without dialogue. Can't complain if you don't complain. 

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Since when does the public have a say in political matters? :blink:

IMHO the general Thai public have little to zero structural understanding of how it all works, therefore very ill equipped to make any focus comment.

This point has come up in several of my MBA classes, 99% of the Thai students don't comment because they have zero knowledge of how it all works. It's also come up in my MBA classes where perhaps 60% of the students are Thai and 40% German. The German students quickly make very focused and well structured comments (in regard to the German situation), and the Thai students just sit there, obviously shocked at the well informed discussion going on between the German students. 

I agree that the public in general does not know much, but this article is 100% right.. Do you really think those who are now under tougher laws (political parties) would ever agree those are good. Of course not they want to be free what they want to do and don't want oversight. But history has shown that they do need more laws because there is plenty of election fraud and so on (PTP famous for letting MP's vote for others and then claiming its untrue even caught on camera). 

Its like asking me if I am for more tough visa laws that apply to me.. I would never say YES. But they might be really needed but they are not in my interest but they might be better for all. Still I would be against them because it limits me. Now politicians are the same so I am not suprised that they don't like them. Just like the article says that does not mean they are not needed.

(and the visa thing was just an example so don't make it about that, was just making a point that those who are subjected to laws will never want more stringent laws I could have said smokers too)