Aussie Rescued After Being Adrift Three Weeks On His Yacht

george

Anyone remember this guy and his boating troubles off Sumartra?

Well, he's in the news again! :o

Missing sailor found, rescue vessel on its way

30th June 2008, 11:00 WST

A missing yachtsman, floundering off the Western Australian coast for the past two days, has been located about 60km west of Two Rocks.

An RAAF Adelaide aircraft, which joined the search this morning, spotted the yacht, Moonstar just before 10am.

A Sea Search and Rescue boat is on its way to tow the boat and the sailor to Two Rocks Marina.

Rescue expect to reach the man at about 11.30am.

HAVE YOUR SAY: Should we foot the bill for saving the lone yachtsman? Click here.

The yachtsman, believed to be Fremantle man Rocky Donald, had been stranded about 140kmh off Fremantle since Saturday, after Friday night's storms badly damaged his 13.5m vessel.

Police would not confirm the man's identity and said his name would not be released until family had been notified

Fisheries and Water Police combined efforts on Saturday to rescue him, but he refused to leave his boat, which has a damaged mast, rudder, steering and engine failure.

The sailor was uninjured in the storm.

Rescuers lost contact with the man last night and a police aircraft and sea rescue plane failed to locate him with poor weather conditions hindering the search.

Mr Donald, then 52, was rescued from the same yacht in November 2006 after drifting for three weeks.

He made headlines when Thai marine police rescued him off Sumatra in Indonesia.

His main motor had died and he claimed he survived on rainwater and instant noodles.

Dig a bit deeper next time Croc :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Old Croc, I am amazed. did this article really trigger your memory about this guy and his wild lost at sea story?

I know, you remembered the guy who survived on Mama noodles :o

Wow! Very lucky man. Bet he stays off boats and noodles for a while. :o Hope he recovers soon.

Instant noodles have saved me a few times too. Not to his extremes though. :D

I bought a small hot water kettle which can provide noodles or soup for 4 people per boil. Not being stingy, but prepared we have used it many times in our travels. Small size and all the extra stuff goes inside so it takes little space.

:D

Edited by ilyushin

Whilst wading through the 2006 erpisode started to wonder why has it popped its ugly head up again - alas my hearties "Rocky" is in trouble again & hence is rescued - it makes me and I would assume most other posters wonder how much of a scallywag this "Rocky" is?

Maybe it's time to find out and a little investigating may well be needed to establish how much of a troubled life at sea (or at hove to somewhere) this receipent of a social security benefit has actually suff??ered. :o

Whilst wading through the 2006 erpisode started to wonder why has it popped its ugly head up again - alas my hearties "Rocky" is in trouble again & hence is rescued - it makes me and I would assume most other posters wonder how much of a scallywag this "Rocky" is?

Maybe it's time to find out and a little investigating may well be needed to establish how much of a troubled life at sea (or at hove to somewhere) this receipent of a social security benefit has actually suff??ered. :D

There has to be some scam in it all. But what a way to earn a living. :o

I am a landlubber--as someone once said "Sailing is like being in jail with a chance of drowning". This guy should surely learn his lesson and keep both feet firmly on the ground.

Rocky is in fact an excellent sailor.

Unfortunatly he's a raging alcoholic & utterly broke.

The reported condition of his boat,

Quote "Fisheries and Water Police combined efforts on Saturday to rescue him, but he refused to leave his boat, which has a damaged mast, rudder, steering and engine failure." Unquote

Was very likely the condition he left Phuket in (probably the same condition he arrived in Phuket in after he was rescued off Sumatra).

Anyone who can sail a wreck like this from Phuket to within 60 km of an Aussie marina deserves some recognition.

Hopefully the Aussies will confiscate his boat & sink it so he wont burden the rescue services again.

But I doubt it.

With a name like Rocky I reckon he must have a best friend called Bulwinkle ? Silly bugger was probably pissed and sailed of finto the sunset with no plans....or hes just unloaded a bunch of drugs ! How in the hel_l did he make it through the Malacca Straits without getting mugged ?

He was lucky to survive last weeks severe storms off the shelf out from Perth.

They're some of the most dangerous waters on earth when the southern ocean storm fronts come through.

Many years ago I was on a cruise liner going to S.Africa that went head-on into a gale a couple of hundred kms out. Waves were going completely over the top of the ship and dumping on people dumb enough to be out on deck at the stern.

Strange place for him to be. Most yachties hug the coastline coming down from Asia. Maybe Rocky missed Australia after going past Bali.

Edited by Old Croc

Rocky's back on dry land. He was towed into port late yesterday.

post-18822-1214873703_thumb.jpg

After Rocky we had Rocky II, III, IV, V and Rocky Balboa; now we also have Rocky Ozzie. :o

I wonder what it is with sailors nowadays :D

Drunken Swede tries to row home from Denmark

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnough...usmorningdigest

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo