The dark side of Thailand’s tourism industry plays out nightly in Chiang Mai’s after-hours club scene

WinnieTheKhwai

Wait.. what?   What does the FBI now that we don't?  :ph34r:

---

The dark side of Thailand’s tourism industry plays out nightly in Bangkok’s tawdry red-light districts, in Chiang Mai’s after-hours club scene, and along the neon-infested Walking Street in the coastal town of Pattaya. In these and other places less obvious, trafficked children can be bought and sold, reduced to the basest form of commerce.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/report-from-thailand-part-1

Thank God that closing the local bars at midnight and the liberal use of Section 44 has brought this heinous trade all to a halt never to be seen again.

On a personal note one  positive side effect is less NGO's and Missionaries means its much easier to get a seat at The Dukes on the River.

It reads like one of the many, many grossly inaccurate, tawdry, sensationalist articles, documentaries  which flooded the Western media in the 1980s and 1990s, worse still one of those hideous, sloppy 'expat novels' which thankfully one sees so few of these days....

It really is a shame that such a body as the FBI can't veer away from the sensationalist when dealing with so important a subject.

14 minutes ago, LawrenceChee said:

I don't think Chiangmaj can ever be described as exciting

It's almost 6 pm and we are already done with dinner

Exciting indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Oh, Larry, welcome to the true darkside of Chiang Mai life.  Married with kids.... 

Ain't knocking you.  Been there over a decade :sad:

I will not comment on Bangkok...but Chiang Mai is'nt really seedy.  Altho  if you want to see foreigners at their most vile and slimy...go to ''ZOE ''and ''SPICE''., after midnite...backpacker scum..drunk out of their minds ,high,,looking for fights , girls on their knees in the streets puking...running around like animals...it's no wonder Thais have been so disgusted w/tourists..

I love the outraged rubbish from a certain section of this community. Young people having fun? "Lock them up, they are destroying the world." 

Chiang Mai's nightlife scene is incredibly tame for both Thailand and the rest of the world. I'm pretty certain there are no perverts selling children at the night spots frequented by farang here too. The FBI goes overboard and the grumpy old men of Chiang Mai join in. Congratulations. 

I will not comment on Bangkok...but Chiang Mai is'nt really seedy.  Altho  if you want to see foreigners at their most vile and slimy...go to ''ZOE ''and ''SPICE''., after midnite...backpacker scum..drunk out of their minds ,high,,looking for fights , girls on their knees in the streets puking...running around like animals...it's no wonder Thais have been so disgusted w/tourists..

They call that "puking" now?

Archived