Hidden treasures? Thai food at non-Thai food restaurants. Where's the great stuff?

Jingthing

As we all know, Thai food is very often offered at non-Thai food restaurants in Thailand. Typically done as a choice for Thai companions of foreigners that don't want to eat the non-Thai food there.

So I'm wondering, are there such places where the Thai food at non-Thai restaurants in Pattaya is exceptionally good?

I have noticed it's quite often overpriced at such places, compared to dedicated Thai restaurants, but that's not the point here.

To clarify, not looking for such places where the Thai food is just OK.

Looking for such places (only at non-Thai food restaurants) where the THAI food is exceptionally good, as in better than most of the Thai specific restaurants here.

Perhaps such places don't exist. But I'm asking. 

Edited by Jingthing

Nathan's in Jomtien & Siamese Cuisine Naklua I do recommend - both offer very good Thai & Int. food

I had wondered about Natans. I tried it once for French food and wasn't wowed but did notice their Thai menu. Siamese Cuisine ... OK to mention but they obviously promote as Thai and international so not exactly in the format here.

Well I find the Tom Ka Kai at Le Petit Bouchon  on 2nd Rd Jomtien to be quite excellent. Probably up with the best I have eaten in Thailand. Price around 140 baht approx. Rice extra.

Interesting. I've heard good things about their Euro food too.

I must admit I'm kind of biased against Thai food in non-Thai restaurants partly based on the pricing tactics. Most places like that get mostly foreigners and foreigners with a Thai partner so the Thai food prices often seem to be cleverly high based on the assumption that the foreigner is paying.

Like how often do you see Thai groups go into a non-Thai food restaurant to eat Thai food?

But of course there are often good Thai cooks in these kitchens ... so that's why I considered there may be hidden Thai food treasures in such places. Hidden in the sense that the main marketing focus is non-Thai food.

Jingthing, you did say in the OP that price was not the issue. It was the quality of the food.

Its funny. Sometimes my GF orders Farang food and I order Thai food. When the waitresses bring the food they get the placings mixed up, which is uproarious.

Mai pen rai as they say. 

54 minutes ago, Mojomor said:

Jingthing, you did say in the OP that price was not the issue. It was the quality of the food.

Its funny. Sometimes my GF orders Farang food and I order Thai food. When the waitresses bring the food they get the placings mixed up, which is uproarious.

Mai pen rai as they say. 

Yes, I understand the reasons the Thai food is usually priced higher at such places.

But I'd be interested in it if it was EXCEPTIONALLY good Thai food, regardless.

It's not all that easy to find EXCEPTIONALLY good Thai food, even in this large Thai city. 

I assume it's usually at least OK Thai food at such places.

I don't see the point of going to such places for only OK Thai food. 

Edited by Jingthing

I always find the Thai menu in a non-thai especially fine dining place a bit patronizing, is it a Pattaya only practice where it is expected that one's company is of a bit less refined palate though?

Matahari makes some pretty decent Thai food like green curry, but they also have asian stuff like Nasi Goreng on the main menu anyway

The chef/cooks at Casa Pascal makes very good Thai with a Chinese twist too, fried rice, beef stir-fry, the complimentary stuff they bring between course.

Didn't somebody bemoan the lack of fine dining Thai restaurants in Pattaya? just go into any western fine dining place in Pattaya and the skilled cooks in any restaurants should be able to knock something up 

Yeah, I agree the Thai menu offerings at obviously non-Thai restaurants is rather an odd phenom. I've talked to restaurateurs who have told me they feel they have no choice but to do it to be competitive. Also, there is a practical part of it. There is usually Thai cooking staff so the skill set is there and perhaps for larger places they do staff meals of Thai food.

I wasn't particularly thinking about "fine dining" western food restaurants when I started this thread, but of course they are part of the non-Thai restaurant scene. 

Edited by Jingthing

Greg's used to do very good Thai food - his wife was the chef and would cook such Thai favourites as frog from a "special" Thai menu written in Thia for other halves who were Thai. Portions were enormous. Greg and his wife are now at Witherspoons on Soi Bukhaow, so maybe give that a try.

3 minutes ago, champers said:

Greg's used to do very good Thai food - his wife was the chef and would cook such Thai favourites as frog from a "special" Thai menu written in Thia for other halves who were Thai. Portions were enormous. Greg and his wife are now at Witherspoons on Soi Bukhaow, so maybe give that a try.

Aha.

I did try some Thai food years ago at Gregs.

5 minutes ago, champers said:

And did you like it? My better half loved the fish soup; it came served in a bowl the size of a bucket. I'm no fan of Thai food in general (too spicy for me) so I can only offer up a 2nd hand opinion.

Well, it was not from a special Thai menu. I liked it OK at the time and the portion was large  (before I even moved to Thailand) but even then I recognized it as a westernized version of the dish. I think you know what I mean by that ... racial based offerings. It happens at Indian food restaurants here all the time where they tone done the spices based on race no matter what you ask for. 

I know what you mean. You could go with a Thai and have them eat a European dish and you can have the Thai style offering. It may be made for the Thai's tastes. Careful with the racial meanderings - you'll  be accused of being a DT fan. I wouldn't want to see your avatar changing. :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, champers said:

I know what you mean. You could go with a Thai and have them eat a European dish and you can have the Thai style offering. It may be made for the Thai's tastes. Careful with the racial meanderings - you'll  be accused of being a DT fan. I wouldn't want to see your avatar changing. :rolleyes:

There is zero chance of me going to the trumpian dark side (or Pattaya's dark side for that matter). But on how what food you get often varies by race here, I'm just keepin' it real. It's actually worse at Indian restaurants than Thai restaurants here though. 

Edited by Jingthing