Netflix on Smart TV

Manassas

I want to restart my US Netflix subscription and login on my smart TV.  I'm told I need a VPN to access my US Netflix account.  My Samsung TV has a built-in Netflix app. So my question is can I use a VPN to login on the TV app? Is it possible? I would rather not have to use the laptop and run an HDMI to the TV. Are some VPNs better for this purpose? Thanx.

Nowadays very few vpn providers are able to unblock Netflix in other countries than the country where you are.

Furthermore you cannot use a vpn on your tv. You either have to use an hdmi cable or have a network with a router supporting a vpn. Search on Thaivisa. There are plenty of threads about this subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Manassas said:

I want to restart my US Netflix subscription and login on my smart TV.  I'm told I need a VPN to access my US Netflix account.  My Samsung TV has a built-in Netflix app. So my question is can I use a VPN to login on the TV app? Is it possible? I would rather not have to use the laptop and run an HDMI to the TV. Are some VPNs better for this purpose? Thanx.

You can use your Netflix Subscription here in Thailand without a VPN but you will be limited to the content available here in Thailand. Im sure you already know this. Most of the "Netflix Originals" are available in Thailand without a VPN/DNS Changes. The benefit of using Netflix Thailand is there is no lag. If you have the settings in your netflix account set for the highest resolution, they will play instantly in 1080p or "Ultra HD". If your connection is slow then netflix will playback in SD and slowly increase the resolution. IF you manage to get US Netflix going through DNS or VPN then it starts to get laggy and clunky but still works. It starts out in SD a lot of the time and takes a minute or 2 to get up to 720p or 1080p. 

Now with all this said, The app on your TV may not support Netflix in HD. Only SD. I don't know what OS Your TV has but if its anything proprietary to Samsung then it will likely only play in SD. Even a lot of Android Devices only play in SD. Even on my Minix TV Box with Android OS it only plays SD. This is a huge deal for me because if you have a smart tv then its capable of a pretty damn good picture. However, on my PS4 with netflix app, full Ultra HD when available. If you have to get the netflix app from the google play store then likely it will only playback in SD and there is a huge difference between SD and HD. 

Resolution:
Android phones and tablets currently support streaming in 480p.

Netflix HD playback is available on select Android devices. See our "Netflix in HD" tab for more information.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23939

I don't know if you can get a VPN on your TV or not. You have to check whatever "App Store" is available but most likely not. You would either have to VPN your router in witch case every device connected to that router would be through the VPN (Kinda pain in the ass) Or you could install the VPN on your laptop and try to "Share" the network from your laptop to your TV wirelessly. Also Kind of a pain in the ass. Or you could VPN your laptop and view with HDMI. 

Netflix over the last few months have gotten REALLY good and blocking people from viewing their content outside of their geographic location. 

4 hours ago, arkom said:

I am using ExpressVPN to get access to US Netflix, and using it on my Apple TV and LG Smart TV by changing the DNS settings on the TV to the one they provide you.  It's a bit pricey but works good.

So you are changing the DNS Settings on the Apple TV Box, not the TV Itself right? And you are viewing Netflix through the Netflix App available through Apple App Store?

You have been doing this daily without any major change? Ive been using unlocator but it only works through my safari browser. Anything else and it won't work. 

Edited by Strange

No problem using Netflix in Thailand.  If you want the USA content google vpn's that work with netflix and then email them if you have a question if it works.  Smart TVs are all different and it depends on which OS they use.  I can think of 3 different ones in common use.  Android TV, Tizen and Webos (playstation too).  It makes no sense that Netflix would cancel your account for any reason.  Think about it.  Different browsers also effect the definition that netflix will broadcast at and you might want to check that out if you want and HD expereince.

Edited by Scotwight

1 minute ago, Scotwight said:

No problem using Netflix in Thailand.  If you want the USA content google vpn's that work with netflix and then email them if you have a question if it works.  Smart TVs are all different and it depends on which OS they use.  I can think of 3 different ones in common use.  Android TV, Tizen and Webos.  It makes no sense that Netflix would cancel your account for any reason.  Think about it.  

Have you googled any of this? Cause Ive tried a bunch and netflix have gotten REAL good. It isn't like it was a few months ago. Do you know of any KNOWN VPN's or DNS changes that will work? 

3 hours ago, Strange said:

So you are changing the DNS Settings on the Apple TV Box, not the TV Itself right? And you are viewing Netflix through the Netflix App available through Apple App Store?

You have been doing this daily without any major change? Ive been using unlocator but it only works through my safari browser. Anything else and it won't work. 

Correct, I also changed the settings on my TV so I can watch their 4K content.  I tried unlocator before but it didn't always work.  Been using ExpressVPN for about 3 weeks and so far haven't had any major issues, there are a couple times when it doesn't work but they normally have it back running within a day, but usually sooner.

The nice thing is with ExpressVPN DNS or MediaStreamer as they call it, is that there is no drop in internet speeds and the stream is always 1080p and if you have it 4K.

There are some things being said which sound unbelievable to me. Even with a local connection, 4k is not even always possible on my 100mbs package.

And using a vpn is against the TOS of Netflix and a according to PureVpn people have their accounts cancelled. BTW purevpn is not able to unblock Netflix anymore.

Also I recently tried expressvpn for 30 days and they had 2 working unblocking servers .. One on the east coast and one on the west coast. The east coast was so slow it was unusable and the west coast server was soso. And now someone is claiming to get 4k on their dns service. Sounds like a lot of bull to me. I cancelled them within the 30 days.

He made some changes to his tv and now he can watch 4k. I wonder what those changes were and which tv he's using. Furthermore, how do you know the content you're watching is actually 4k?

7 hours ago, Strange said:

Have you googled any of this? Cause Ive tried a bunch and netflix have gotten REAL good. It isn't like it was a few months ago. Do you know of any KNOWN VPN's or DNS changes that will work? 

I watch netflix 4k in Thailand no problem and with US content no problem.  You can use a VPN on your device or on your router.  Find one that you want to try and email them.  I googled it when I first started and tried a couple of different ones.  When I had a problem I wrote them and they suggested the server to use.  I watch on my computer and on my smart tv.  I use Netflix and Kodi to get what I want.  

HD would be nice, but I'm really after the expanded content with the US netflix. I've seen references to using the VPN on the router. I connect the TV wirelessly so that might work. So I just have to go into the router settings and change to the new DNS? Is Kodi the better service to use?

2 minutes ago, Manassas said:

HD would be nice, but I'm really after the expanded content with the US netflix. I've seen references to using the VPN on the router. I connect the TV wirelessly so that might work. So I just have to go into the router settings and change to the new DNS? Is Kodi the better service to use?

My 3bb router can't do a VPN I'd have to buy another router and bridge it.  The VPN service will be able to tell you if your router will work.  Kodi works with and without a VPN. Kodi is free.  Netflix is easier to use but Kodi has advantages too.  Try them both.

14 minutes ago, Scotwight said:
8 hours ago, Strange said:

I watch netflix 4k in Thailand no problem and with US content no problem.  You can use a VPN on your device or on your router.  Find one that you want to try and email them.  I googled it when I first started and tried a couple of different ones.  When I had a problem I wrote them and they suggested the server to use.  I watch on my computer and on my smart tv.  I use Netflix and Kodi to get what I want

Thats cool. No idea how you are getting 4k content though. Can you post a screen shot of your resolution? 

Edited by Strange

7 hours ago, sniffdog said:

Tell me, akom. You described to Netflix 4k package but didnt know how to watch 4k on your tv? Sounds strange to me.

Where did I say that I didn't know how to watch 4K on my tv? I have Netflix's 4K package and my new LG 4K Smart TV with WebOS, I simply change the DNS settings on the TV to watch US Netflix via ExpressVPN.

I know that it is 4K, because with Netflix's app on the tv it will say that the show is in 4K.   

555 yes but it indicates the highest resolution available. But that doesn't necessarily mean the picture you are watching is 4k. It all depends on your speed and Netflix adjusts the resolution accordingly . On my Netflix the 4k content indicate the max resolution is 4k but usually I see only 720 and 1080p being shown. Do you really know how to check your current Netflix speed and resolution?

6 hours ago, Strange said:

Thats cool. No idea how you are getting 4k content though. Can you post a screen shot of your resolution? 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/04/14/13-netflix-tricks-you-need-to-know/

Netflix in addition to discriminating against countries outside of the USA does not want to tell you how to find the actual resolution you are receiving.  They used to list it but that changed a while back.  I checked a while back with app but now have forgotten exactly what I did.  

I can tell the difference like watching football on truevisions 666 as opposed to 668.

If anyone can find out how to check 4K is actually being broadcast and shown on a TV post it.  The NetFlix 4k content does not always broadcast in 4k.

Edited by Scotwight

4 minutes ago, sniffdog said:

Pretty useless quoting an article from august 2015. A lot of things have changed since then.

The link said 2016 but I get your point.  My computer monitor is 21:9  3440x1440 so not really 4k however my TV is 3,840 x 2,160 pixels UHD

32 minutes ago, sniffdog said:

Scott, on my LG there is an info button. Press it and in the left corner is a overlay with the exact resolution and sound codec. With the right conditions it says 2160.

296674fa19c499ea4efbd7eb84ffd8d8.jpg

8fa9f4c223c4e6583f545a117ef3ce50.jpg

Well that was interesting.  I didn't know I could do that on my Sony but it has a button too.  Netflix now in Thailand ranged from 2160 to 480 same 4k show.  Forests. 

It sometimes helps to have it force to load the content again by moving the scrubber.

Again I feel that claiming to get 4k on US unblocker is ridiculous.

Off topic I cant tell the difference between 720, 1080 or 4k from the distance I am sitting.

1 hour ago, sniffdog said:

555 yes but it indicates the highest resolution available. But that doesn't necessarily mean the picture you are watching is 4k. It all depends on your speed and Netflix adjusts the resolution accordingly . On my Netflix the 4k content indicate the max resolution is 4k but usually I see only 720 and 1080p being shown. Do you really know how to check your current Netflix speed and resolution?

Nailed it. This is what I was to get across. 

Netflix will let you buy whatever you like and automatically give you whatever resolution based on your speeds and seamless non-buffering. 

IMG_3463.JPG

IMG_3464.JPG

IMG_3465.JPG

IMG_3466.JPG

IMG_3469.JPG