Netflix on Smart TV

Manassas

11 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Well that was interesting.  I didn't know I could do that on my Sony but it has a button too.  Netflix now in Thailand ranged from 2160 to 480 same 4k show.  Forests. 

You can do it on any device just have to look up how to get the info, and the reason I was trying to get you to come out with the information earlier. 

4K or even 1080p from the US through a VPN or DNS pretty hard to imagine. 

7 minutes ago, Strange said:

You can do it on any device just have to look up how to get the info, and the reason I was trying to get you to come out with the information earlier. 

4K or even 1080p from the US through a VPN or DNS pretty hard to imagine. 

I just got 2160 through VPN.  I turned off my computer and just used the TV.

This is from the US Netflix site because this show is not available on our local Netflix.

Watching my my LG smart tv by changing the dns settings, does stay at 2160 the whole time? For me it does, there are times it drops to 1080 but only for couple minutes and goes back to 2160.

It's not perfect but works for my needs.

e44bb580967a71f17bcf4ec185bbc0ab.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, sniffdog said:

Most likely if you use SIN vpn because thats where the Netflix servers are (if I am right). However, the question is will it sustain 2160p for the whole duration of the content? i bet the vpn wasn't US based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No my VPN is based in Switzerland and has servers all over.  I use the USA ones for Netflix.

I use Truevisions and most of my HD programming is 1080.  I don't know about football.  I have a live football mode setting on the TV that does things with the volume and such.  

15 hours ago, Manassas said:

HD would be nice, but I'm really after the expanded content with the US netflix. I've seen references to using the VPN on the router. I connect the TV wirelessly so that might work. So I just have to go into the router settings and change to the new DNS? Is Kodi the better service to use?

OP, the thread seems to have gotten somewhat off track in terms of talking about what video resolutions are and aren't possible with U.S. Netflix in Thailand. But that's not what you asked about.

Re your question and comment above, there are several ways to approach your issue.

--one is possibly using a DNS redirect service, and adjusting the DNS settings on your TV, if your TV supports such a settings change, to be compatible with U.S. Netflix.

--two is using the same kind of DNS redirect service on your wifi router, if you have access to its settings, to accomplish the same end. Almost any router should allow you to make the required change, but some Thai ISPs, particularly True Online, are set up in a way that those DNS services won't work properly. Hope you're not relying on True Online.

--three is setting up a VPN client (through a paid VPN provider account) on your wifi router, which again requires that you have access to your wifi router's settings AND sometimes that you have a particular kind of router.

Not to get overly technical here, but a lot of routers often will/can natively support simpler forms of VPN protocols called PPTP or L2TP. That's great if you just need a basic VPN for general purposes. But from what I've read and can gather, those protocols may not work at all with U.S. Netflix these days.  From what I've been told, the more likely VPN protocol that's going to work with U.S. Netflix is something called OpenVPN, which often is NOT natively supported by basic router firmware. Meaning you'd have to check your router's firmware if its supports OpenVPN, and if not, possibly flash a new OpenVPN compatible firmware on it -- something it doesn't seem like you'd be a likely candidate to do.

Overall, in the past year, Netflix U.S. has really been cracking down and trying to ban the use of VPN services on its system, and that has meant that a lot of paid VPN services that used to do big business in that area now are struggling to keep ahead of Netflix and be able to deploy U.S. servers that will work with U.S. Netflix, and not end up getting black-listed by Netflix along the way.

For a non-technical person, I'd say either of the DNS approaches are likely a simpler solution. But both are going to require you to do some work: 1) checking either your TV or your wifi router to see if you have the ability to adjust their DNS settings, and then 2] checking with some of the better known DNS service providers (who often are VPN providers as well, though not always) to see what their current capabilities are for accessing U.S. Netflix. Most have support emails or sometimes online chat connections where you can speak with them about those kinds of questions.

But even if you go the VPN service route, it's still going to take some legwork, because some providers may not actually be able to provide you with a server that will be accepted by U.S. Netflix, even though it would work fine for other purposes. And, if they are able to provide a U.S. Netflix compatible server, it may only be through certain protocols (OpenVPN vs PPTP) and you'd have to be aware of whether your router supports that protocol.

Unfortunately, with U.S. Netflix, it's not nearly as easy these days as it used to be.

Following Arkom's posts, I took a month sub to Expressvpn for the media streamer service (dns). I can't get 4k as arkom showed but 720p is good enough for me. Ive used several vpns to unblock Netflix but the speed of the media streamer service looks to be better than any vpn I tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk